Friday 20 October 2023

So Much Work ...

This week I attached the last row of stars to the Irish Star quilt. 


What takes forever are the auditions for the border. I just can NOT pick any square and sew it to the previous one because I don't want two of the same fabric or colour to be too close to each other.


So the borders of this quilt require many hours of sitting on the floor, auditioning little 2" squares. 



But it looks good, does it not? 

Compared to the side with no border. Yeah. I think it is worth it. Please, don't remind me that I'll have to iron all those squares after. 😩

In my last post, I didn't mention what Nicole worked on at the retreat. Back in February, she worked on blocks her grandmother made. She added a border and pinned it so she was ready to hand-quilt it during the retreat. 


There was a new wall hanging in front of the restrooms. We think it was made by many hands. The butterflies' antennas are either drawn or embroidered.



Dancing in the wind. 

That's all from me.
Have a great weekend. ;^)

Joining these talented ladies this weekend
Wendy for Peacock Party

19 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving your Irish Star quilt! I'm drawn to really anything that makes the diagonal chain!

Jenny said...

I try hard too not to have the same fabrics close by, but sometimes they sneak in while you are not looking!

Quilting Babcia said...

Been there, done that too, and still inevitably end up with same or similar squares too close together! Your quilt is fabulous, and definitely worth the time you spent auditioning all those squares.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your Irish Star quilt top turned out beautifully, Chantal!! I feel like I'd like to make one some day. Goodness knows I've got enough scraps for it!!! :o))

MissPat said...

The Irish Star quilt is wonderful. It was definitely worth sewing all those little squares together. Scrappy borders add zest to the quilt.
Pat

Lin said...

Yes! That border is definitely worth the effort. xx

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Your Irish Star is a fabulous scrappy quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Irish Star is gorgeous, Chantal! I love all its pretty scrappiness!

Cathy said...

Your Irish Star is scrappy perfection, Chantal! it’s such a treat for the eyes!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Hurray, what a terrific scrap quilt! I'm like that about the little squares, too. I cannot do "random" to save my life! Even with string quilts, I'm looking at each piece. Congrats on nearing the finish line!

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh! What a fabulous quilt and such a wonderful use of scraps! I'm in love. Oh, I'm a "random" sort of gal. I've found that it takes me too darned long to make decisions (endless dithering) because I never seem satisfied with my decisions. So I've also learned not to care if two colors or patterns get together...like in real life...matches were meant to be! Or so I tell myself.

Fiona said...

Oh my, Irish Stars is spectacular - wonderful and well worth all that crawling around making sure you have the right colours in place..... Fabulous... A question - how many pieces????

Hugz

Mari said...

Irish Stars looks wonderful! It turned out beautiful. I also agonize over where the colors go. It seems like such a consequential decision! But I do think it helps the quilt turn out great.

maggie fellow said...

wonderful mix of stars and scraps - well done

Deb A said...

The irish star is beautiful! It was worth that extra effort on the setting squares. Enjoy your weekend.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

It is worth the extra effort on that border. . .Your Irish star is gorgeous! Wonderful that Nicole is finishing a project her grandmother started. It will be a specially loved finish at the end!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, ta bordure est délicate et longue à faire, mais quel beau résultat ! C'est très réussi, bravo !
Merci pour le partage ;)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh wow - that Irish Star is amazing - all those colors - it its quite spectacular!!!

Lorraine said...

I love your Irish chain star quilt. Will you share either the pattern or the star size and square size?