Saturday 9 April 2022

Pink and Rainbow UFO Challenge Review

Well, for a girl who hasn't sewed once this week, I still have a little bit to show.

I tackled a mountain of neutral/white scraps and 
tamed it down to manageable sizes (1.5", 2", and 2.5") that I need for the different RSC2022 blocks I'm doing this year. I'm happy about that. The tub on the left is filled with pieces fit for crumb blocks. 

Oh yes, there's a WHOLE lot more to do but at least, there's one big Ziplock bag done! 

Last weekend, I managed to do the pink Scrap Jar Star.


The Rainbow UFO Challenge for March ended up with less quilting than I had anticipated. The challenge was to quilt Field of Poppies. I knew I wouldn't finish the entire quilt as it is quite big. 
The black portion is all done, though. Yay! 


You might be able to see the quilting better in the next picture. I did a black center with pistils and seeds. It's a little primitive looking and I love it. 


I thought I would have time to do some of the red too. 

As you can see in the picture, it didn't work so well. Free motion quilting has to be practiced more than what I do.  So, it was abandoned while I find the will to unpick all those stitches. Ugh! 

The UFO for April is Westering Women but I am switching it for the table runner I never finished for my MIL. Yikes! I thought it was finished and given too. I was shocked when I found it hidden under a pile of fabric. I need to finish it quickly as I would like to give it to her before she leaves for the camping in mid-May. 
It is ready to be pinned. Hopefully, the stitching on this one will be easier than on Field of Poppies. 

Have a wonderful week everyone. 

;^)


Joining these great ladies;
Angela at So Scrappy 
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
Cynthia at Oh Scrap! 







13 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super sweet PINK Scrap Jar Star!! Best of luck on your April OMG project. The center quilting on Field of Poppies looks fantastic, Chantal!! Hoping the next step works out better than the one you felt the need to rip out.

Fiona said...

Great progress on your projects... I love the idea with the poppy quilt quilting.... Cutting up scraps and preparation takes time but is worth it... loving your scrap stars
Hugz

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Scrap Jar star is really pretty, Chantal! Good for you, cutting and organizing those scraps, too. I need to do some more of that! Hope you get that tablerunner finished for your MIL!

Astrid said...

Cutting up scraps take a lot of time, ask me how I know! Lesson learnt and after cutting scraps for days I now cut scraps for each finished item. Great idea with the poppy quilting, it looks great. Sorry you feel you have to unpick part of it, never fun. Beautiful star block and so are the WW quilt.

Jenny said...

I'm sure, like me, you wonder where all these scraps come from in the first place! You done a great job of cutting it into the sizes you need.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

J'adore les pistils en FMQ, ça rend super bien ! Bravo pour toutes les bandes et tous les carrés coupés, les blocs seront faits plus vite. Oups pour le chemin de table, mais il n'est jamais trop tard pour finir un ouvrage ;))
Merci pour le partage de liens ❤

Sue said...

I'm in the middle of cutting up scraps, too. I think they self replicate. The runner for your mil is going to be lovely.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am always happy when I have a nice big stack of cut pieces. Then I know the sewing can commence. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap! I like where you are going with your quilting :)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love the Scrap Jar Star!!!

Lin said...

Nice work with cutting those scraps and I love your pistils. The table runner looks lovely - finished soon I hope. xx

gayle said...

Good luck with your runner! You can do it!
I've been cutting lots of strips and pieces for my various projects underway, but somehow everything is still piled on my cutting mat. Must slow down with the cutting and speed up with the putting away...

SueR said...

Well, we're certainly on the same page with the white/neutral scraps, lol. That's what I've been doing this week too, cleaning up bits of whites. I love the idea of quilting pistils and stamens in the red centers. What a fun idea!

SueR said...

Alright, my comment got posted! Success!