Saturday 14 November 2015

Hexies, FMQ and Le Challenge

I don't have much to show you even though the title makes it sound like a lot. First, I made some hexagon flowers for the fun of it and some grew up to be pretty little mug rug





and decided to use them to practice my free motion quilting.

Doesn't show very well here, so let's try the back side.  I did pratice all the wonderful advises I got from my bloggy friends. (Thank you so much each and every one of you. It really help me become a better machine quilter. Thanks! ♥♥♥)




More hexies are still waiting to be finished.




Then, Le Challenge served us the word METHOD for this month and I jumped on it.
This is the back of my project (to show my nice FMQ.)



Sorry for blowing my own horn, but I am really proud of my FM star. A little shaky but still I love it ! The echo around the star was made with the help of a walking foot. Then, I FM'ed the stippling which turned out SOOOOOOOOO MUCH better than my very first try lol. (See here for pictures of my first stippling disaster.)


I did some wiggly trees in the corners. This one was made following the mark of a pencil.



My first tree was made without any help, just free hand and it looks like Charlie Brown's tree lol. Oh yes, this girl has to learn the hard way. See the tension? It isn't very good here but got better. Anywho my entry in this month Le Challenge is a  
3D Bowtie Candle Mat. 


The METHOD I used to piece this traditional block is quite simple and it produces a real puffed knot in the middle.


See how the scissors disappear under the knot?  Cool?  For those interested, I will post a tutorial how to make a 3D bowtie block. Stay tuned.

Okay one last picture of the FMQ.
It is not perfect, I will grant you that but for someone who only started FMQ last month, I am tickled pink with this one. Now, if you will excuse me I need to go back to my hexies so I can practice some more. I am having so much fun!  :^D

Until next time ....

;^)

Linking to Le Challenge for the Method
Linking to WIP's be Gone
On Sunday, I will link to Oh Scrap.
Hope you will take a moment to check out all the wonderful works posted on these blogs.






16 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

First of all I love your star! The echoing around it and FMQ around that really show it off. You'd never know you were a newbie. And I love your little mug rugs! So very cute!

canuckquilter said...

You should be proud of your FMQ efforts. It's looking better every time. I haven't gotten up the courage to stipple - I just think I'd sew myself into a corner... The bow tie mug rug is cute. I'll be watching for your tutorial!

PaintedThread said...

I like the half-and-half look. These are cute.

Dasha said...

The FMQ is looking great Chantal. It took me ages to get to that stage.
Now remember you were having issues with commenting on some blogs a while back? That is now happening to me on several blogs. Weird!! Hope it resolves itself like it did for you.

Lisa England said...

Your bow tie candle mat is super cute! I learned to make bow ties like that years ago at a quilt shop demo. They were pretty cool, I think I need to make some again! Thanks for sharing.

gayle said...

Look at you go! Your quilting is looking so great that you're inspiring me to go try! (I can quilt wavy lines, but haven't progressed much beyond that...)
All your projects look absolutely terrific!

Marly said...

Your FMQ is great; we all have to start somewhere, and no-one, absolutely no-one, got it perfect without practice! Keep making those delightful mug rugs and candle mats and you'll become an expert. I'd love to be able to make 3D bow ties; your candle mat is so sweet!

Lin said...

Beautiful quilting Chantal and I love your hexie mug rugs! xx

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your hexie mug rugs are so cute, such a fun layout! I will have to try that, too! Is the candle mat made out of those "10 minute" blocks? They are fun to make!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your quilting, it's really coming along! I struggle with fmq, but you inspire me to keep trying and practice practice practice!

Rosa said...

So gorgeous projects and your quilting looks great!

Cathy said...

What a great way to practice your FMQ and have something useful when you are finished.

Heidi said...

Love the 3D Christmas mat, and congrats on your fmq progress!

Fiona said...

I love your hexie mats and how you have interchanged the colours... and jolly well done with your fmq.... amazing what a difference a little practice makes... wonderful
Hugz

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Smaller projects are perfect for practicing. You will see improvements on every project, you just have to keep at it. I think for some of your early attempts, these all look great! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Nat at Made in Home said...

Maybe not perfect but looks amazing from where I am standing! Thanks for sharing on le challenge.