Friday 5 October 2018

Wednesday Sewing Club got the blues too

This past Wednesday, I got to go sew with my friends. What fun I have with them.

I prepared one corner block of the 365 Challenge, thinking I can do this and then it will be time to go home. Here is what I got done.

The top floral part


and the side floral parts


yep, that's all! It took me over four hours to make these units.

Oh! ...



... No! ...




Wait! 

I did show them the little mug rug I did with Monique's leftovers

Can't believe I didn't take a picture of the finished project!! 

and I did have a long look at all the beautiful things they sew during the summer. Oh! It was so beautiful.

Then, Lucie pulled the show stopper; a red and white quilt made in 1882 by Éloïse.

Wow! This was the size of it. Ok! Granted I am no expert with quilts but this one was cut.  Why? Nobody knows.

The applique pieces are hand sewn with the tiniest stitches I've ever seen.  Hope you can see them on this picture. Hand quilted too. The red fabric, although tired and running thin, is still so vibrant and bright. Amazing!!



The back, like the front, is mousseline.  The binding was sewn on much later with an electric machine. The name Éloïse 1882 was written with a pen in one of the corner. Was it all that the label said back then? Personally, I think this is only a quarter of the quilt. (Pictures taken with my phone.)

This weekend is a long one in Canada as we are celebrating Thanksgiving and it will find me finishing this ONE corner block for my 365 Challenge. Then there be only three more to go, lol.

Oh, yes! Almost forgot. I also got spoiled. Look at all the fabric my friends brought to my table after I showed them the mug rug. Hahaha! Aren't they awesome? I love them.

Another friend spoiled me this week. This friend is a bloggy friend who lives far, far away and although we haven't met face to face (yet) she knows me so well. She sent me, through email, some pictures of a certain quilt and it made my day. So happy to have her in my world. Thanks again, my sweet friend.

Hope that you too have some wonderful friends around you. Enjoy!

;^)

Joining Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than Housework


9 comments:

Karen said...

Always fun to sew with friends. I had an opportunity to a few weeks ago and now things have not meshed again so we could get together again.

Julierose said...

So nice to have a group to sew with--I no longer have one, and I do miss it a lot--hugs, Julierose

Fiona said...

your block is very pretty and I'm not really surprised that's all you got done.... interesting about the red and white quilt - I agree it looks like that's a quarter of it... I always want to know the stories about them - if only it could talk..... haha, your friends will give your their scraps for ever now.... and keep you very busy. So glad you and your bloggie friend can share ideas!

Hugz

CecileD said...

Coudre avec des amies est absolument génial et motivant ! On papote, on rit, on discute tissus... bref le temps passe trop vite !
Tes blocs sont très bien réalisés ! Et le vintage quilt est magnifique !
Gros bisous Chantal :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lucky us!! I was able to sew with friends yesterday (and, of course, I was given some scraps.) LOVE that little mug rug that you made!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I just spent the weekend sewing with friends. Lots of laughter, creativity and good food. Thanks for linking your lovely block to Oh Scrap!

gayle said...

Oh, that 365 block! I've found that 'slow and steady' is a good approach to all the blocks in that quilt! (I got the May 31 block done yesterday, after not touching the project for a year or more!)
And I wonder if Eloise had four children who fought over the quilt, so ended up dividing it between them...

Lisa J. said...

Chantal I'm glad you got to spend some time with your friends. Your blue blocks are all so lovely , as is the red colour on the older quilt. It's amazing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your 365 block is looking good, Chantal! It sounds like you're getting close to finishing all those blocks!