Saturday 25 May 2019

Good Fortune and Orange Twist

I've been working on a quilt that wasn't on my to-do list. What's the point of keeping a to-do list if I prefer to work on quilts that aren't listed? I don't know! I'm asking you.


Quiltville's Quips & Snips!!
Picture taken from Bonnie K. Hunter website
Good Fortune just captivated me at its reveal. Since January, I've been slowly patching units together to produce blocks to finally get my very own Good Fortune.




It's not completed but completed enough for me to present it to you.

Here is "Field of Poppies".

What I first saw in Bonnie K. Hunter's design were the flowers. Big orange flowers in a field and I decided to make the centres of my flowers black as I wanted poppies. I also switched the red for orange and the orange for red.


I love it! I'll try to make the flowers more apparent, visible with the quilting but for now, I have to decided on the borders.


I love Bonnie's borders as they lighten the hot/cold centre. I think they are too much for me to tackle though. I know me. I'll end up with one side two inches too long and the other side 3/4 inch too short. Should I give it a try? These borders take a long time to do I'm sure. None of the fabrics for the borders are cut so I can do whatever I want. I know I want more green but not sure what.

I hope the quilt will let me know shortly.

This morning, I went sewing with the Artisanat. We did some sensory blankets for people with Alzheimer. More on that next time.

;^)

Joining Angela at SoScrappy.
Joining Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.
Joining Beth at Love Laugh Quilt




21 comments:

julieQ said...

So, so pretty! I love your Poppy idea; that is truly perfect. I bet your borders fit just perfectly too!

Jo said...

Love your poppies! Congrats on finishing this beauty

Fiona said...

beautiful ….. so many little pieces..... you are the queen of little pieces!
Hugz

gayle said...

I love those poppy centers!
And after all those 365 Challenge blocks, I think you could pull off any border you set your mind to!

Marly said...

Lovely, Chantal; mine is still all in pieces; I haven't touched it since December! The black centres are really an improvement on the original design. Maybe I should finish mine after all. Have a good week!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have made this quilt and made it larger - I never thought of the orange as being poppies though

Jayne said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love the red poppies very much! To do lists don't work for me, so I totally understand and encourage you to not work from your list!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Field of Poppies is just beautiful, Chantal! It's amazing how you see different shapes and designs in the same quilt pattern depending on the color placement or even on which way you turn it for the picture. I love this one!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's fabulous! I see the poppy effect you were going for...so fun!
Definitely go for it with the borders!
My version has been stalled for a while, at the same stage as you're at now,
but I'll get back to it one of these days...
we do seem to like to work on projects that are not on the list!

Susie H said...

Beautiful Good Fortune and I love how you made it yours. Bonnie Hunter would also approve!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE the changes you made to Bonnie's design!! Best of luck with the border options. I'm sure whatever you choose will be delightful!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful! I like the red rather than the Orange. But I think you should stay with a pieced border of some kind. I have faith in you. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Kerryn connor said...

Not sure if you wil eceive this. Re: cutting you triangles. Leave them in the triangle shape, you will only have 2 sides to cut. I like your GF quilt. I came over from Bonnies blog. Kerryn connor

CecileD said...

Ohh WOW Chantal !! Il est super beau ! J'aime beaucoup les couleurs que tu lui as donné !! C'est magnifique !! Mille bravos !

Jan Hebert said...

I'm here from Bonnie's blog also. Nice job Chantal! It will be beautiful whatever border you decide on. Love your color choices. So many pieces!! Jan from Massachusetts

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a gorgeous quilt! And I am seeing it on Memorial Day. How appropriate! I have a hard time with sticking to a list too.

Lin said...

Beautiful! xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

J'adore ton Field of Poppies,les fleurs ressortent bien, il est magnifique ! Bonne réflexion pour la bordure ;-)

Dolores said...

My friend and I make wheelchair sized quilts. I look forward to seeing and hearing more of the sensory ones you helped with. I think the colour choice of your poppy quilt is stunning. I have never done Bonnie Hunter's sew along. I find that there are always too many small pieces.

Binsa said...

Hello Chantal your quilt is gorgeous you made me giggle.I struggle with patterns as I am a visual person and don’t normally use a pattern and end up in all sorts of trouble Kind Regards lyn

SueR said...

Well done, Chantal. I LOVE Bonnie Hunter patterns, and I LOVE seeing all the different quilts created from her patterns.