Saturday 18 May 2019

Keeping busy

My sewing room's been out of whack lately. I'm trying to make sense with what's going on around me and my conclusion is ... I have too many projects in progress. Or should I say projects not progressing?

This is still not happening. I'm stuck at the same place because the thread keeps breaking. After a cleaning,  twice, I'm now suspecting the quilt as the culprit. Maybe this junction is too thick and that's why the thread breaks. Would that make sense? I need to try quilting another spot and see how it goes. 

Good Fortune is taking shape ... kind of. Only 23 more blocks to assemble! :^)

My brother who came by last month, sent me some pictures of Mother's quilts that he has. It left me very nostalgic. Reminiscing a lot too. Would you like to see the quilts? Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed because he has no idea how to take good pictures of a quilt. So please, forgive him. 
Here goes. 


Made with cremplene. This will last forever. 

This one is crib size and made by my brother who owns it. I like this one a lot. 

The next three quilts were made with stencils and fabric paint. It was called Cameo and I'm not sure if it still exist. 

Mother did a lot of quilts with this pattern. She loved it so much. Not sure about this one, but most of the quilts with this pattern had scalloped edges. She hand quilted all her quilts. 


I remember painting these faces with my sister. It was fun. It's hard to tell in the picture but this crib size quilt has a prairie point finish. Mother loved that kind of finish on smaller quilts.



Back to the present. 


I tried to move 365 Challenge along and did three more. 

October first is the second corner block which I started back in February when I had enough of working with dark blue. It's still on my design wall and all the pieces are cut, so ... what am I waiting for? 

October 2 is Square within Square with 9 pieces. 


Then Road to Berlin with originally 9 pieces also.

Haha! No I didn't do the Y-seams version. It's easy to see that my block requires more than just 9 pieces.  It needs 17 pieces.  I'll try the Y-seams again when the pieces are bigger than an inch. 


Next we have the simple yet beautiful Split 9-Patch with 15 pieces.  



At the beginning of the month, I've received a huge bag of scraps and there was a big pile of tiny triangles. They've been very nasty and been nagging me. So I set them up by the machine and they are bothering me no more. 

Like a child, sitting on the floor, watching TV, trimming little blocks to 1.5 inches. I am far from being done as I have 181 HSTs to trim. That should keep be busy for a bit. I know what they will be but don't know the pattern I'll use yet. More to come. 

;^)


Joining Angela at So Scrappy

















10 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Ooh. Lots of stuff. I love your 365 blocks. I hope you get past your thread-breaking quilting problem. I hate when that happens!

julieQ said...

I have too many projects too!!! I love your 365 blocks...so very pretty!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear those pesky gift scraps would give you no peace! What could up do, but sew them up? Thanks for sharing your Mother's quilts! By "cleaning the machine" were you careful to check for stray thread stuck down in the bobbin case by turning the flywheel to see what you can see? I often find that to be the problem.

Lin said...

Have you tried changing the needle, a different reel of thread, altering the tension? Basics I know but often overlooked. Your mothers quilts are beautiful and I too love the red and white one - simple but very effective. Happy Sunday. xx

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So much to love in this post. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun to see your mom's quilts - they are keepsakes, for sure! I think sitting in the floor, watching TV, and trimming HSTs sounds like the perfect way to do it!

Fiona said...

well it looks a lot of progress to me.... and how lovely to see some of your mothers quilts... so precious. Good to see those naughty little scraps being put in order! HOpe your breaking thread issue gets resolved.. very frustrating....
Hugz

Sherrill said...

I never want to quilt my quilts on a dsm. Looks like too much work and trouble..HA! What's the block pictured after you mention the 365 challenge? I LOVE it!! You've been BUSY!!

moosecraft said...

Your Mom's quilts are lovely! I enjoy the vintage quilts so much more than some of the quilts designed today (so many tiny pieces)...lol! Hopefully you have found the source of the thread breaking... but, from my experience, it has mostly been from either mis threading the machine (slides off tension discs or pops out of tiny slot in bobbin mechanism)...or, sometimes it is the thread itself (either the brand, or a fresh new spool). Happy stitching!

Ruth said...

It's wonderful to have the quilts from your Mother being taken care of. As to the HSTs, I was just squaring up some from scraps left over from a project. I keep HSTs in baggies marked with their size so when I need some, I can look for some that might work. I don't want anything to go to waste!!