Wednesday 30 December 2020

Two Words for You, Year 2020


GOOD 

BYE


(Yes, I know it's only one word) The year 2020 will be remembered by the words "unprecedented" and "weird" as they were the most spoken words by the leaders of the world. Yes, that sums up the year pretty well also. Personally, I am VERY happy to see its taillights heading towards the horizon. 


Nothing is ever all negative. Everything has a positive side. Let's have a look at the bright side. 

January saw the 365 Challenge quilt all assembled and on the header of my blog. I am very proud of completing this challenge. It started back in 2016! It has a grand total of 10,821 pieces. 


Then, I got some new (to me) furniture for the sewing room. Those were nice and pushed me into a cleaning frenzy. I realized that I needed some baskets to store all my scraps. So, some basket à la Fiona were made. Green, multicolour, and red. 


I finished my DS2's flannel quilt. A huge monster with a robotic theme along with Star crumb blocks and 4-Patch blocks. Made all in flannel, it is a heavy one. 


Did my first assignment in 2020. A friend/coworker asked for two car seat covers after seeing mine. She was really pleased with them. 


Bonnie's Good Fortune became my Field of Poppies surrounded with greens. 


I had some trouble adapting to the confinement. Crazy ideas were having tea with me every day. They grabbed the bin of strings and made me do this. 

Needless to say, I just love it. I still have a string problem but Sarah will share her ideas in 2021 on how we can use up our strings. Can't wait to see that and take care of this 3-drawer organizer. 



On the other hand, I did take care of the flannel mess. They were all cut up this year into useful size pieces and stored properly. One cleaned corner. Yay! 


Cécile in France had us sewing along and the theme was Stars. Of course, I had to do some Ohio Stars. My mini is called Brille (Shine). Everyone is a star and we all shine a different light, a beautiful different light. I am very proud of how this one turned out. Love it.


Here's another one of Cécile Sew Along, done the year before. I finally quilted it this year. Les paniers de Cécile used up a lot of tiny little pieces as the basket is made with crumb blocks. That was fun! 


I also finished another mini, one proposed by Temecula Sew Along. This one is called Amid Joy. I love that one too. 


Then, I challenged myself by adding borders to an old UFO. Jacob's Ladder has been waiting since 2013 for its borders. I don't have a lot of imagination (yet) when it comes to borders. Saw something on Pinterest and BOOM! Jacob has borders. 

Sometime in 2020, I decided to jump on the RSC2020 wagon hosted by Angela. I saw buttons on the net and they invited some bobbins in for fun and voilà! A rainbow buttons and spools quilt. I soooo love this one. 


Bits of fabric in the shape of triangles invaded my desk, so I pushed them under the needle. Little by little, a very scrappy HST quilt is being made. More in 2021 on this one. 

What happens when a friend gives you some quilt magazines? A new project is what happens! Here's a tulip block that I fell totally in love with. That says a LOT because I am usually not a flower girl.


But this one is cute. 

What's up in 2021? 
Well, I decided to give my UFOs a hand. Yep! It was fun finishing a few things in 2020 and I want to keep on that track. 

SOOOooo, I decided to give each UFO project a colour. When Angela calls the colour for the month, I will work on that UFO. It doesn't have to be finished but just working on it and bringing it forward is a plus. What do you say? 

Here's my list in no particular order. (I write it here in case I lose the paper, haha) 
    Purple - Framed 9-Patch (2016)
    Red -  Shoreline (2016)
    Orange - Hole in the Barn Door (2016)
    Yellow - Buttons and Spools (2020) 
    Green - Field of Poppies (2020)
    Bleu - Judy's BOM (2014) 
    Pink - Ferris Wheel (2016) 

The next ones are in case Angela calls a darker shade of a colour, so 
    Dark Blue or Aqua - Star in Blue (2016) 
    Dark Green - Tricked Me (2013) 
    Multicoloured - Getting Better (2013) 

I will also make the Tulip block and HSTs (for the rest of my life) in the colour of the month. 

Wishing you all a very happy and healthy year. Enjoy! 

;^)

Joining (as the links become available)
Alycia for Finished or Not Finished Friday        
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
Denise at For the Love of Geese 





















24 comments:

kiwikid said...

Lovely post, you have made many beautiful quilts. Good luck for finishes/progress in 2021 I like your colour plan.

PaintedThread said...

Oh, good stuff! I love, loved when you finished that 365 challenge quilt. That string chair is really cool, too!

Quilting Babcia said...

I would have called it "good riddance"! You created a lot of wonderful quilts and tops this year. Congratulations!! Looking forward to a better 2021 for all of us!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Très belle rétrospective de l'année, bravo pour toutes ces merveilles ! Mais que j'aime ton quilt 365 Challenge !! Et celui des boutons aussi ;)
Bonne année et bonne santé pour cette année qui vient. Bisous

Barb said...

lovely post and looks like you had a great quilty year.
I like your two words - good bye. I think of a couple of others, lol.
I wish you the happiest and healthy New Year

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You've done some beautiful quilting this year, Chantal! Congratulations again on your 365 Challenge completion. And that chair you redid with the string piecing grabs me every time! I like how you're organizing your UFOs by color month - great idea! Happy New Year!

Julie in GA said...

Congratulations on all of your beautiful finishes! The 365 quilt is incredible, and I am so impressed that you stuck with it! I love your buttons and spools quilt, and the string-covered chair is brilliant!
Working on your UFOs by the monthly color is a great way to move things forward. I did that about 5 years ago, and I think it's time to try it again.

Fiona said...

Some really fabulous projects worked on.... I too have a pile of UFO's to do....
All the best for 2021...xx
Hugz

Ruth said...

You got a lot accomplished and I love all your quilts. I REALLY like your chair! I did that to one of my chairs except I never got round to covering the backing. In fact I was just talking to my sister about it (she's here visiting) and said that I should finish it. Also, I love your colored bag storage system! Good luck with your goals for 2021 and Happy New Year!

MissPat said...

Great idea for using Angela's color of the month for UFOs and I'm glad you're not putting pressure on yourself to finish each one. And what a collection of strings you have accumulated. You'll have enough to make each of whatever quilts Sarah comes up with. I'm still thinking about your HST project and may add that to my list. Happy New Year.
Pat

Jenny said...

Such an interesting post, seeing your lovely work and reading about your future plans. The covered chair is so delightful, well done! Does it have other brothers and sisters in need of refurbishment too!

Cathy said...

If I had to judge 2020 based on your quilts I would think it was a cheerful and fantastic year.

Oh, I love that chair!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What quilty goodness has come from this crazy year! Love all those beauties. And I like your idea of what to work on when each color is called - that is great organization!

Marly said...

Chantal, you have had a brilliant idea in giving your UFO's a colour code. I'm joining you on that. I've settled on my UFO for this month, but I'll plan the colours this month and start in February.
I love your tulip block and will try to remember it for next year!

Rebecca Grace said...

All of these are lovely, but your finished 365 quilt simply takes my breath away! What a masterpiece. Congratulations and Happy New Year, Chantal!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful quilts all year long, even in a very strange and terrible year. I love what you wrote about making hsts for the rest of your life!

scraphappy said...

Those buttons are just adorable! Lots of great quilts this year and it looks like great plans for the new one as well. Farewell to 2020, though you are right, it wasn't all bad.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It was great seeing all your lovely quilts again. Wishing you the very best in the new year. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, for your quilt finishes in 2020!!! That 365 project is a showstopper! I'm looking forward to Sarah's ideas for strips, cuz I sure have a bunch of them!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You completed SEW many wonderful projects in 2020, Chantal!! Best of luck working your way through RSC21.

Scrapatches said...

You were sew accomplished in 2020. My 365 quilt is still unfinished. Brovo on your finish! May all your 2021 sewing plans go well. Interesting tulip block. I shall enjoy seeing more ... :) Pat

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What wonderful and fun projects. I am in love with them all. I love love love your chair. What a clever and creative idea. I enjoy stitching with strings too. Have a blessed week.

Susie H said...

I fell in love with your Buttons & Bobbins last year too! I totally agree with you that for every good, there is a bad and vice versa. I often remind my kids that for every negative, there is a positive and also vice versa. Way to prove it in this post. 2020 was very good for the quilting side of you!

Verveine et Lin said...

j'aime tout spécialement votre courtepointe avec les boutons, et aussi votre chaise!