Saturday 17 December 2022

Winter's Here!

Just like that, you wake up one day and it's winter! I should have taken a picture yesterday to show how green the grass was.
December 16, 2022


My flaky friend showed up this morning. :^)

It was still dark out when he showed up. I had to feed the birds and had turned the porch lights on. He hopped onto the patio table with a big grin. He was happy to see me again, even with my morning hairdo! He's even not 6" tall but I'm sure he will grow some more. 


I did some deconstruction. 
The fabrics to make the adult bibs were sewn together (two of cotton with one flannel) around the edges to make drawing the pattern easier. We cut them out after the pattern was sewn. Then the bibs were flipped inside out. Anywho, it made a lot of leftover fabric to unpick. Can you see the big bag in front of me? I'm having fun. Just a little bit more left to do. I decided to separate the pieces by the colour of the flannel. 
Sitting on the floor, watching TV and deconstructing: the pile on the left 

The pile on the right


These little bits will become HSTs in no time. Fun! 

Still more to sew too. The white fabric on top of the pictures is the sashing for Hole in the Barn Door. 


Slowly building Jericho Wall in quadrants.

These are attached together. 

These are still rows. 

I decided to make the sashing scrappy. 
It's hard to photograph white as it reflects the light a lot. Hopefully, you can see the beginning of this sashing has numbers and the end has flowers. I have so many skinny strips that are not long enough for the sashing that I decided to make do. 

Oh! Got to go. Someone's knocking at the door. 
He didn't like the snow last year but now, he doesn't mind it at all. 


Yeah, I know, I'm a mess ... but I'm bright!


Take care, everyone, and stay warm. 
;^)


P.S. We have over 10" and the snow is still coming. These pictures were taken early morning on Dec 17, 2022.

The BBQ doing his best Arnold Schwarzenegger impression, adding inches on both sides, lol. 


The pines are so beautiful. I'll take another picture once the sun brings back colours to the world.  

It is the nice kind of snow, you know the one that sticks together to make snowmen and forts. It sticks to bare branches too. And to the cat's fur. The poor thing could barely walk into the house this morning. 

And this is Frosty. Yep, my little snow friend grew another 3" or so ... and lost its face, haha. I'll have to dig him out of there and give the birds more seeds too. 

Joining 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts
Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 




14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so much snow! we might get an inch next week but doubtful for more unless they really change the forecast - your snow and the quilt are beautiful

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Ou là là, c'est l'hiver ! Ca fait une belle couche de neige déjà.
Les rangs de Jericho Wall sont très beaux, et j'aime beaucoup les intersections. Bonne idée les bandes piécées !
Bises, et merci pour les liens.

Sara said...

Your snow pictures look pretty much like mine. I don't know how much we got for sure, but 8-10" of snow creates some BIG drifts when the SD wind blows. Love how the Jericho Walls is coming together. Wow!!

Quilting Babcia said...

You have a lot more snow than we do. Just an inch or so here today. Hoping it stays that way as we have a 2 hour trip north tomorrow to welcome back our grandson who just returned from his specialized army training.

MissPat said...

New fallen snow creates such beautiful winter wonderland visions, especially the kind that sticks to the branches and wires. As long as I don't have to go out in it, I'm happy to see something besides brown grass and mud.
Pat

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So pretty there with that fresh snow, even if it does get in the way of things that need to be done this time of year! I love how the sashing and 9 patch cornerstones are coming together on Jericho Wall.

PaintedThread said...

Pretty snow! I like your Jericho Wall blocks.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I LOVE that you made a snowman while you were out feeding the birds! It just made my day to see you let your inner child come out to play in the snow!
Your blocks are absolutely beautiful and the scrappy sashing is perfect. Enjoy that snow for me - it 12 degrees this morning, but we have brilliant, blue, sunny skies.

Sandy Panagos said...

Your snow is so beautiful. Perfect weather for picking out stitching!

Lin said...

Proper snow! We had a skim of white one morning followed by days of frost. Proper snow would be nice. But now it has turned milder and we have a week of rain forecast. I can see you are in your element with that bag of bib scraps. xx

Helenchaffin said...

beautiful snow! It raely ever snows in Ala & when it does it t comedy while we're sleeping & gone by morning🤣great job on the quilts,they're coming along nicely

Vicki in MN said...

Looks like you got some of the heavy wet snow also. We didn't do to bad at 8" but our son up north got 20", lost power for over 48 hours.

Fiona said...

Your snow is looking so beautiful, good reason to be indoors unpicking those pieces... you are so clever with ways to use scraps...
Hugz

SueR said...

We finally did get our snow too, about 9 inches. There is another nor'easter rolling in Friday, but it will be a rain event for us. What a mess, on top of the snow. Still making bibs? Good on you guys for doing that. Thanks for letting me know that you're using velcro for the closure instead of the plastic snaps my group was using. Evidently the snaps were difficult for some to use. And I really like those Jericho Wall blocks! You continue to add to my long list of WannaMakes, lol.