Saturday 22 April 2023

Detour - Quilts for Survivors

I make quilts because I love to. I did a quilt for my Father and Mother In-law a few years back. It's the only quilt that had a purpose; all the other quilts never had a specific reason to be done. It was always just because I can. Until now. 

This week I wanted to work on my Paper Chain quilt, inspired by Cathy at Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilts. Then I saw Marie's post about Quilts for Survivor, (you can see her post here.) and my plans made a detour. 

I perused the organisation Quilts for Survivors' website and I was very inspired. The quilts are sent to survivors of the residential school system and other trauma. It is a Canadian organisation and has its roots in my own province of Ontario. 

They accept donations of completed quilts, tops (48 X 64") or lap-size, blocks of 16.5", and supplies or monetary donations. They ask us to avoid any travel-related or school-related fabric and nothing religious. 

So I had a good, hard look at my blocks and removed all the undesirable prints. 

I will make building blocks of 2 X 4 like this one until I have enough to make a quilt. It will be my first contribution to this great cause but not my last. 

Have a great weekend. 
;^)


Joining 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts
Cynthia for Oh Scrap!


11 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those blocks, and have made a few myself when I have some two inch squares to use up. I'm happy to see how you're laying these out because I had forgotten the look I was going for, lol! That sounds like a wonderful organization to donate to, too!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Ce début de quilt est prometteur, je vais aller visiter le blog de Marie et le site de l'organisation pour en savoir plus.
Merci pour le partage !

Fiona said...

What a special reason to make a quilt.... I hadn't heard of that work before...
Hugz

Jenny said...

Making donation quilts is a lovely thing to do. Good for the maker and the recipient too.

Quilting Babcia said...

It's always a blessing for both the recipient(s) and the quilter when you find a worthy cause that touches your heart. This sounds like a wonderful organization to join. Blessings to you in this new journey.

Sara said...

That will make a lovely quilt for such a good cause.

Lin said...

Sounds like a worthwhile cause and your blocks are going to make a great quilt. xx

Deb said...

Great quilt for a good cause. Filled full of good energy. Stay safe and sew on !

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I love your paper chain blocks! This will be an amazing quilt and it will be loved!

Susan said...

Great blocks, and congratulations on finding a good home for the thing you love to do.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW generous of you to fill that need for quilts, Chantal!