Thursday 6 April 2023

Still in the Green

How many Irish Star blocks do I need for a quilt? The answer is 55 stars and 55 alternative blocks for a 10 X 11 layout. Oh, it'll be so nice.


Seven blocks time 7 colours make 49 blocks. So 6 colours will be repeated 8 times. I already have 7 blue stars and 4 pinks. These 2 green ones will join the 2 previous ones. Only 40 more stars to do.
Nine alternate blocks are made, including the two from the picture.


More greens were used in the center of Friends' Favourite Blocks. I really love making this one too. 


and whatever for the 9-patch blocks. 

Are you wondering what happened to the cute little green HSTs from before the last post? They have turned into a pretty little mug rug.
 
Still hand-sewing down the binding.  It measures 5 X 7~ish inches. Only two HSTs weren't used as they weren't 1.75". Now that I'm thinking about it I should have added them to the back. Oh well. They are with the other little parts and might be used for something one day. 

Freezing rain was the mess we had to deal with on Wednesday. 
Can't see the forest behind my house anymore

The power was out for 14 hours at my place, not so bad considering the major part of Ontario was without power. 


Thanks to the guys (and girls) that worked all night so we could wake up to a "normal" morning, and coffee. SOOOOO appreciated. 


Purple is coming right up ... in the next post. 
Take care everyone. 

;^)

Joining my quilty friends 
Angela at So Scrappy 
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 












14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so sorry about your power outage that is always bad news. I think you must have been dealing with that as we were with severe thunderstorms waiting to know if it would turn into tornadoes - pretty quilt!

Fiona said...

loving the look of the Irish Chain and great progress on all of the quilts.... ooh .. that does look cold....
Hugz

PaintedThread said...

Love your blocks. Wow - that's quite the snow storm!

Lin said...

What horrible weather! Nice to see your greens - I love the stars and patches layout. xx

Barb said...

Power outages are such a inconenience! so is ice. I hope that springs finds you soon.
great projects, love those little nine patches.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

those Irish stars!!! THose are amazing and you are right - it will be an awesome quilt!!!

Susan said...

I love my Irish Stars. I made it in 2.5" squares, as always, so mine are always bigger than Deanna's. I make a LOT of her ideas. LOL Your other projects look fabulous, too. What fun you are having when you aren't snowed under. That looks WAY too cold to me! I thought our high 50s and wet rain today was too cold!

Sara said...

Being without power is not fun! That was a LOT of ice out there. Those stars are so cute!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There are all kinds of pretty blocks being sewn up in your sewing room, Chantal! I love the little HST mug rug - especially that great background fabric. So glad you could wake up to coffee after that storm! That helps us stay positive!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Such pretty blocks to be seen here, Chantal. I love a new mug rug esp. one with such a neat design. Yes, we lost our power too for a day here in the Ottawa valley. It was the thunder and lightening while freezing rain falling that freaked me out a bit. And it went on for hours. Very weird.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I see a few PURPLE squares in those blocks, Chantal, but will look forward to seeing even more in the next post!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

L'hiver n'en finit plus ! J'espère que vous n'aurez pas d'autres coupures de courant... Ils sont beaux tes blocs, et j'aime bien aussi les HST verts ;)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

The smell of coffee on a cold morning warms me before I even take a sip. I'm glad your power was restored without having to miss another day without power! Your mug rug is precious!

Kat said...

Oh, wow! Your yard pictures look soooo cold! I hope you were able to keep warm during the power outage.

Those are cute scrappy blocks. I immediately saw “16” when I saw your mug rug. It intrigued me, as it’s an interesting layout. I hope you have fun digging into the purple scraps!