Saturday 27 May 2023

It Was an Accident!

I had a lot of fun during our long weekend. There was plenty of sunshine, laughter, a lot of orange fabric in the mix and some wine too. But then something bad happened.

I sew some Friend's Favourite blocks in orange. 
Plaid orange, orange-red, spider orange, coral, tangerine, peach and floral pumpkin. It was fun playing with these. 

Every little bit of fabric big enough to produce a 1.5 X 2.5 inches rectangle is thrown into the BFF (box of Friend's Favourite). It was a royal mess, to say the least. So I straighten up the little pieces and realized that there are a LOT of those. 
The worst part is that I haven't been through all the colours yet. 

I asked myself "What am I going to do with the leftovers from this project? What can I possibly do with these small rectangles?" That's when something terrible happened. 

My brain answered.




And it said: 









 "They can do this!"  













I love this quilt by Ellen at Little Jewel and I have a kit all done for it. Okay, maybe there are 3 or 4 quilts in there but when a piece is 2.5 X 4.5 it goes in this box. And I've been doing this since 2014. Ouch! 

But do I really need another quilt on my to-do list? Really? You think I said no? 

Nope! And the next thing I know was ... 

Four little Potato Chips blocks were made. But I didn't mean to start anything new. I'm telling you it was an accident! 

Okay, it wasn't that terrible after all. Look how cute they are! 

Oh, this is gonna be SOOOOOOOO much fun! I'll try to keep it for the retreat in October. 



Hope you're having fun too. 
;^) 

Joining 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 


16 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are fun blocks by themselves, but even better when you set four together. Perfect for sewing at your retreat, Chantal!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Isn't that the original "Potato Chip" block? I've seen videos for a number of different variety in the last little while. I absolutely LOVE scrap quilts, but haven't made that one yet. Have fun, Chantal!!

Astrid said...

That's a fabulous 'accident', Chantal! Love those small blocks added together. Now I'm tempted, lol! I think I have that size batik strips somewhere. ...and I started a new project - by 'accident' too - this week!

Jenny said...

That does look fun!

Lin said...

Haha! Well aren't they lovely, lots of fun. xx

Helenchaffin said...

It's like that saying,never say never lol everytime I say no more till these are finished ,I find myself cutting out & making new blocks,I have 3 in the works & seen a mason jar quilt & well you know what happened 🤣 cute blocks you've got going!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Ah ben mince alors, pas de chance ;)) Ce nouveau projet commence bien, ils sont très sympas ces blocs, et originaux !
Merci pour le partage.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

what a happy accident!! and so much color goodness!!! Sounds like you had a great time!

Quilting Babcia said...

"The Accidental Quilt" - I love it!

Fiona said...

what a lovely new scrap project.... I think I might need to tame some of my scraps to that size.... great little group of orange blocks too

Hugz

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Setting four blocks together creates a wonderful design! WOW!!! Starting a new project is OKAY!!!!

Bonnie said...

Know how you feel. I'm really not going to start anything new. Oops, did I just try a new block. Yep. It happened to me today. And, I like your little block a lot too. Sigh. There are a million ideas out on blogs and I generally really like several every time I go surfing.

Marie said...

I have made a couple of those. My pattern was called Twist and Shout but there are lots of patterns with same name. I made one from a fall colored jelly roll and one from Christmas scraps with the light all from one fabric. Both were well received when gifted

Angie in SoCal said...

LOL, you're so funny. Of course you had to make that quilt. It's going to be a great scrappy quilt. Thank you, Chantal for commenting on my latest post. It's great to move around more and actually do stuff. It is a great relief. Got to make an ironing board cover which was badly needed. Was easy to make because it was just sitting at the machine and sewing and running elastic through the binding. Blessings,

Susan said...

I first got that from a rectangle quilt book in about 2012, but recently found it again on Brenda's YouTube channel, Conquering Mount Scrapmore. I love her videos, and she showed several variations on this Potato Chip Block. Yours looks good!

Chookyblue...... said...

Lol...... Love your accidental start..... It's going to look great.....