Saturday 10 June 2023

It's Nagging Me

I just can't let it go because I am not satisfied with the orange blocks. Something tells me there's something better. I'll try to channel the right fabric. See this post to read the beginning of this dilemma.


I found another Salmon coloured fabric and turned it into a Star Bloom block (bottom right).

I paired it with the other salmon and two light pink ones. Not bad. What if ... 


I paired them with the two bright orange ones done the week before? Again, it's not bad, but nothing is "Yes, that's what I'm looking for" you know I mean? 

If this last block is accepted, I'll be missing a pink one. I found this one that might work. 

Or the Hot Pink one (the one that started all this) could be included in this foursome. 
What do you think? Either way, I have a pink block too many which can go on the back as a label. Sigh! I hate second-guessing myself. 

Star Bloom has all the blue blocks that it needs, so I moved on to something else and did this: 

Ladies' Wreath in blue.
I'm in love with this one. Because I'm working on Jacob's Summer lately, I realised how much I love a green and blue quilt. I have a mind to turn this one into my next green and blue quilt. It would be nice, wouldn't it? 


Only two blocks made so far but I am sure you can see what I see. 

That's all for now. Take care. ;^)

P.S. See my last post for something completely different. Not about quilting. 
P.P.S. Sue asked me a question about the quilt in my header but Sue is a no-reply commentator. Let me know your email address please and I will be happy to answer your questions. ;^)


Tagging along with these ladies
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 





10 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Ils sont beaux ces blocs, j'aime bien la dernière version, où il y a le plus de contraste. Les blocs Ladies' Wreath sont magnifiques, je ne suis pas sure d'en avoir déjà vu avec 4 couleurs. Bleu et vert, c'est une bonne idée, ça !
Merci pour le partage ;)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry the pink blocks are nagging at you, Chantal. You really hit on something with those Ladies Wreath blocks! I think that is an excellent choice for your next blue and green quilt.

Fiona said...

Those pink blocks are not behaving for you are they? glad you are out of jail for some sewing time...
Hugz

sue s said...

I don't know why I'm a no reply commentator. This happened to me once before. I'll see if I can figure it out. ssnsalo (at) gmail.com

Astrid said...

Sorry you are having problems with the colors. I like the last block, the hot pink. The one too many you can always use on the back. Pretty blue/green blocks.

Lin said...

A dilemma indeed so I will move on to your blue block which is lovely especially with the green, great idea for a new quilt. xx

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I do know about that problem where you just can't find the exact right thing for a block! Orange seems particularly tricky that way. Your new blocks are very pretty!

Nann said...

Center photo -- the pink/orange lower left is TOO light. The other three quarters drown it out. Surely your stash will yield the right density/hue!

Helenchaffin said...

pretty blocks,the rainbow challenge always makes me overthink but somehow they all magically blend & come together in the end

Rebecca Grace said...

I disagree with the others about too light/too dark. i think it's the mistake of "missing the forest because we're too busy looking at the trees" -- not sure that idiom will make sense translated into French. I find that when we overanalyze and minimize color and value variations at the block stage (the "trees"), we tend to weed out the variations that would have jumped out here and there in the finished quilt, helping the viewer's eye to travel across the surface. When I analyze the finished scrappy quilts that I most admire, there are always fabric inclusions here and there that are brighter/darker/different somehow from the vast majority of other fabrics in the quilt, and it makes them more interesting. When you are focusing on just a few blocks at a time, the tendency is to eliminate too much and end up with something bland. Of course this is all my meager opinion and you should absolutely make quilts that you will love rather than attempt to please me or anyone else commenting on your blog! :-). I think all of your blocks are delightful, orange and all!