Friday 24 November 2023

Scrap Basket and Mending Quilts

It took a long time but I got the mending done! Whoop Whoop!

Some of you might remember my Kitchen Party quilt. My son (the third one of the name) had it on his bed. During a visit to his place, I noticed how used the quilt was. 



The yellow fabric must have been of poor quality because it is the only one that disintegrated. Sigh! Some emergency repairs were needed. 

I made a block using some lemon prints because the first block was obliviously made with a "lemon" fabric. It was hard to hand-stitch the block on top of the old one and sew through all those fabrics where all the triangle points meet. 
I have just noticed that the new broken dish block doesn't face the same way the others do. Oh well! All I need to do now is to quilt the repairs. DS will be happy to have his quilt back. 

On to the next quilt. 
This quilt is on my bed. DH's corner of the quilt has been abused by his beard. Time for repairs, I just can't procrastinate any longer. 

I was lucky that the fabric from the curtains was big enough to cover both sections. (Sometimes the quilt is placed upside down on the bed, so both ends need repairs.) The bonus about this: the quilt now matches the curtains. It is a quilt bought at Sears about 15 years ago. One day, I'll stop making quilts for others and have one of my own on my bed. Some day! 

I played with bits and bobs sewing them up to make yardages. 
Here's my finished brown scrap bag. 
Side A with cats and a lone wolf. 

Side B with deer by the stone wall. It is lined with a soft brown-lined ivory sparkled with pink roses. 

I had three ziplock bags of brown scraps so I made a big scrap basket, so much so that it isn't half full. On the left side, you can see the bottom. The tiny little bits are in a plastic bag. I like to keep them separate from the bigger pieces. It is easier to locate them when I make crumb blocks. 

I'll be joining Joy for her Table Scrap Challenge. Although I haven't used any letters (it's an option, right?) I did use lots of table scrap. Winner!


After all was said and done, I found these parts that equal almost half of a basket. No wonder it took me such a long time to sew this one. Ha! Oh, well, I now have parts for a brown crumb quilt. 


Bonnie K. Hunter started her annual Mystery Quilt this morning. In an attempt to resist starting something new, I occupied my mind with Lori's (humble Quilts)  QAL Parsonsfield. I know, I know, it is still starting something new but this one is small and it's so cute. It won't take long to do. I want to have a few finishes before embarking on a big project, you know what I mean. So here's where I'm at. 

The centre is made. 

I thought the red roses would look nice beside the centre's navy blue flowers but after seeing the photos, I'm not so sure anymore. Another "Oh well!" Too bad. 

My leader-ender is Paper Chain Block. 

And that's it from me. 
Have a great weekend, everyone. 
;^)

P.S.
I found this site and thought you might like seeing it too. Cindy Needham makes hexagons out of old laces and handkerchiefs. Gorgeous and inspiring! Enjoy.



Joining these talented ladies 


16 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had a couple quilts do that over the years and they generally had went to my daughter that had kids and dogs - she washed them a lot and couple have really fallen apart and they were less than 20 years old - had to have been a combination of poor fabric and too much washing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Great job repairing your son's quilt, Chantal! I bet he won't even notice that the pinwheel's not quite the same. I love your brown scrap basket, too! You are the one who inspired me to piece together some brown scraps into "fabric" and use it for my tablescraps backing!

Quilting Babcia said...

Good on you for tackling those mending projects! It's been my least favorite part of sewing forever! Hubby was just mentioning the door mat by the back bedroom door was needing to be stitched back together - not happening in my lifetime! We were married almost 15 years before we had a quilt made by me on our bed. Time to set aside those other projects and make something beautiful for yourself!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Looks like it's time to make him a new quilt. Nice job on the repair.

Lin said...

Thanks so much for that link - gorgeous hexie quilts! I would think it is way past time that you had a quilt for yourself!! Love that you are reparing the old ones though. xx

Pam said...

Why is it we make quilts for everyone but ourselves 😂😂🤣

Cathy said...

What a splendid job of mending. I'm not sure that is something I would want to tackle but that's what my grandmother always did. Some quilts were mended on top of mending. It is nice to know the quilts are getting a lot of use.

Thanks for the link to Cindy Needham's hexies. I used to do a lot of crazy quilting long time ago. I belonged to a group that is now defunct that was making cq hexies that contained old linens, hankies and lots of old lace. They were quilt as you go type blocks. I was always going to do that but never have. I have made a hankie quilt though! Someday...

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great use for those Table Scraps, Chantal!! Thanks for linking up (even without using the letters for November.) I appreciate the reminder that Bonnie's 2023 Mystery began today and that Lori's Mystery is going on! Off to see what those are about this year...

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Bravo pour les réparations, toutes deux bien réussies et jolies. Voilà 2 quilts prêts pour de nouvelles aventures ! J'aime bien le début du quilt mystère de Bonnie, les roses te plairont peut-être mieux plus tard selon la suite.
Merci pour le partage de lien !

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Great job on the repairs! My husband's beard also destroys quilt edges. Bravo for you to fix your son's quilt too. I'm playing along with Bonnie's mystery although, I won't actually begin clue #1 until late next week! Cindy's Lexies are amazing! Those leader ender blocks create an interesting secondary pattern!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Quite impressive repairs and you still found time to work on other things as well.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am very impressed with your quilt repairs !
and the other projects look great too!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A wonderful repair job, looks great!

Rebecca Grace said...

I had the exact same issue with a drunkard's path quilt I made for my oldest son's bed! It's just one fabric that disintegrated, but it happened to every single patch of that fabric in the quilt. Your repair looks fantastic. Mine is still awaiting mending in a dark corner of my closet where I don't have to look at it. I'm dreading it because of the curved seams involved and knowing the acrylic templates I used to cut out the quilt originally will probably yield patches that are too big for a quilt that has now been through the wash more than a few times and will have had considerable shrinkage. Also the quilting on that one was done with the embroidery module on my domestic machine so requilting over the repairs will be more of a PITA... I'm glad you were able to fix your son's quilt and give it the longevity it deserves!

Fiona said...

Well done with the mending..... it's great that the quilts are so well used and loved.... great new blocks - I do like your low volume one...
Hugz

karen berrisford said...

Awesome repair job. Great to see that the quilts are being used and loved.