Saturday 20 January 2024

Not Much

I didn't sew much this week. I couldn't focus on anything and ended up all over the place. I blame the storms. We got our fair share of the 10 inches of snow they were predicting. (No snowman this time.) The storm system sent me into a frenzy of cleaning. (Seriously! Cleaning?  What was that all about?) All I could think of was cleaning the house. That was weird!

Anywho! Some tidying-up found the white borders for the Hole in the Barn Door quilt. 

Hole in the Barn Door scrappy quilt

Yay! It isn't sewn because it needs a good ironing session. It was somehow put back with the white scraps! What's with me?

If only I could stay focused when I'm putting things away, this would never happen. Cleaning is such a boring job that my mind wanders all over while my hands work. If my hands could talk I would never have to search for things. Right? Right! 



Slow stitching was dishcloth knitting this week, and the week before too because I couldn't have knitted three dishcloths in one week. I'm not that fast! But it was fun. All different sizes because I don't count how many stitches I cast on. They are big enough for my hands. 



The pillowcase is done. I followed this video by Crafty Gemini. Because the cat fabric was too short, I had to improvise by adding another flannel fabric (I picked the snowflake one, of course!) and didn't follow all of her instructions. 

Pillowcase in the snow 

It isn't perfect, but it's my first one. Flannel has a tendency to stick together. It would be easier with simple cotton fabric. I'll make more using this video though; it is simple and very well explained.  

While I searched for a flannel that matches the cat fabric, I found this baby print. 
 

It is perfect for the backing of Rainbows on Sidewalk. It is a soft mint green. Very gender neutral. 

Rainbows on the Sidewalk

Should I quilt it with white thread or black, or even a coloured one? Let me know what you would do, please. Thanks. 

And that's all for me. 
Have a great week, everyone.
;^) 

I'm joining these talented ladies to see some lovely creations. 





22 comments:

MissPat said...

For Rainbows on the Sidewalk, I think I would use a medium gray thread (variegated gray would be even better), but it depends on whether you want the quilting to be visible or to fade into the background. I might even try a light yellow or a light green. I've found they both blend well, although they would probably show up on the really dark blocks.
Pat

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Personally, I am a big fan of using a variegated rainbow thread when my quilt is black, white and rainbow colors. Rainbow on the Sidewalk is a such a cheery, uplifting quilt, why not mirror the colors in the thread?

Julie in GA said...

I agree with both of the previous suggestions for quilting thread for Rainbows on Sidewalk, grey or variegated rainbow would be good. I would also look at a medium color like aqua for something a little more interesting than the grey. Great quilt top!

Sue said...

Love that scrappy hole in the barn door

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well it sure looks like you got some stuff done -the weather has been horrible for a lot of us and now here in my part of Arkansas I hear we might get a short ice storm Monday morning - I sure hope not and that it won't get cold enough for long because Tuesday is supposed to be in the low 50's!!

Quilting Babcia said...

I wish I had the energy to spend a week cleaning, but I'll wait until spring when the sun will maybe shine again. You got a lot done, finding the borders is a biggie! I think a colorful variegated thread would be perfect for that quilt, color on color!

gayle said...

January isn't a good month for focus - it's a month we just get through the best we can. Focus will work better when we have longer days and more light!

Lin said...

Haha, yes, those borders were not folded away with care! Your pillowcase turned out well. Hope you have a better week this week. xx

SueR said...

Hi Chantal, haha, I just found a picture of your Hole in the Barn Door quilt on Pinterest this morning. You’ve inspired me to dig out mine. I like your dishcloths too. And I LIKE the Rainbows quilt. For quilting, someone suggested a rainbow variegated thread. I think that would be a perfect choice if you have it. Otherwise I think I’d go with another light color, like gold or green.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Nice work this week, in spite of the cleaning! I've had a real urge to clean out closets etc. this month too. I absolutely love your scrappy Hole in the Barn Door, and congrats on the pillow case, it will be warm and snuggly.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Cleaning is never high on my priority list and putting things away happens when I need flat surfaces again! Hah! I'd much rather stitch! Actually, I do try to pick up as I go; but, that sweet squirrel of mine, Gertie, often offers ambitious what ifs and I succumb! Your hole in the barn door is a favorite project of mine. Why not use color when you quilt your Rainbows on Sidewalk. Any color would be great!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Ah ! Le retour des bandes perdues ! Ta séance de nettoyage a été efficace ;) Bravo pour les maniques en tricot, et la housse de coussin. Quelle que soit la couleur du fil, ton quilting sera beau, ce quilt est magnifique !
Bises

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm so glad you found the borders for your beautiful quilt top! That is a good feeling of accomplishment all by itself. Rainbows on the Sidewalk is a sweet quilt, too - enjoy your quilting!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE your Rainbows on the Sidewalk quilt top, Chantal!! I think I would probably quilt it in white or a rainbow thread. Congrats on finding the borders for your Hole in the Barn Door quilt top, too!!

Deb said...

The baby print fabric is great for the Rainbows on the Sidewalk quilt. Love the dish cloths.

Angie in SoCal said...

For someone who didn't see a lot last week, you had some great items to show us. Loved them all!. I would use a medium gray Bottom line thread by Superior Threads for that quilt top. Blessings,

Nann said...

I really like both your quilts. For the Rainbows on the Sidewalk I think light gray would be good. The HITBD blocks and setting are such scrappy goodness!

Astrid said...

I'm sure you felt good after all that cleaning was done! Love your Hole in the Barn Door quilt and glad you found the borders for it. It's such a pretty scappy quilt. Cute pillow case, perfect backing. Pretty blue dishcloths. I think I would have chosen a medium gray or even variegated thread for the Rainbows on the Sidewalk. Happy quilting week!

Cathy said...

Oh, your Hole in the Barn Door and Rainbows on the Sidewalk are certainly a glorious sight for a long winter's day! You know... a long time ago a couple of people suggested I use lime green thread when I asked what color they would use on a multicolor on black quilt. I thought that was weird but I gave it a try. And surprisingly it blended in nicely. I keep lime green thread on hand now.

I don't understand...what is this "cleaning" you spoke about? I am not familiar with that ;-)

Chrisknits said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Barn Door!!! And Rainbows would look lovely with a variegated thread.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I love your Hole in the barn door quilt... don't get distracted - lets see it again!!!! and quilting... I would use a light pink or soft green all over it - in a thinner thread... so it just highlights and adds texture

KaHolly said...

Your Hole in the Barn Door tickles my fancy!