Friday 5 January 2024

The First Post of 2024

I am usually full of ideas and inspiration at the beginning of the year except this year! Blaming the flu for that. It is stealing my energy and my mojo. Darn!

As I look at my Excel spreadsheet of 2023, I find myself drawn to finishing more than to starting new projects. As I've done in years past, I will tag a quilt to each colour and when Angela (So Scrappy) calls the RSC colour of the month, I will work on that tagged quilt. I like this method as it helps me work on projects even if I'm not too inclined to work on that particular project. You know what I mean? 

Of course, things could change in a heartbeat because life is fun that way! 😁

So, let's choose 10 quilts to work on and get this year on the right path. 

Hole in the Barn Door - green 
Spinner - yellow 
Framed 9 Patch - orange 
Dreaming in Dutch - pink 
Shoreline - red 
Broken Dish Swap - purple 
Westering Woman - blue 
Star Bloom - aqua 
Crumb Quilt in flannel - dark blue 
HST something for whatever colour I didn't already mention 

Like many of you (if not all of you), I have lots of inspiration from my Pinterest boards, magazines and books. I would like to work on that this year. These quilts don't lend themselves well to the Rainbow method of construction. Instead of choosing one block to make every month, I might be working on different blocks for different quilts. I haven't thought this one through yet, but I'll learn how to dance to this one as the year progresses. 

Angela called January's colour green. Yep! I got some of that! 


I also have lots and lots of strings. 

I'm tempted to do as Cathy (Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting) and just sew it. I'll decide later what to do with the string blocks. There's green in there for sure. 

On the first Tuesday of the month, Jan 2nd, it was our Artisanat meeting. I felt too weak to go but my friend had cleaned up her sewing room and dropped me all this on her way there. 

First haul of fabric in 2024. 

That's a great start to a New Year. (Thanks, Lucie!) Half of it is flannel. Is that a hint that I should make another flannel quilt? I love to play with flannel. Let's add that to the 2024 list of to-do. 

There's also half a bag of yo-yos. Anyone interested? Let me know and I'll ship it to you. 

There are two different sizes. It has a plastic template included but I'm not sure of its accuracy. 

I'll start this year the same way I finished the last one; with a 9-patch block. I love 9-Patch! 

My last leader-ender of December with the first block of 2024. It's very dark green and it comes from Lucie's bag. (I just couldn't wait to get my hands in there, haha.) Aren't you surprised that it's also Orange? 

It prompted me to take a tally of all the 9-Patch blocks. 

Would you believe 337? The result was surprising in more than one way. I was surprised : 
- by the amount of black blocks - 31
- by the lack of yellows - only 10 
- by the small amount of orange - 30

I mean, I have more black than orange!! To be honest, though, lots of the orange fabric are seconds, like the first one done in 2024. It is counted as green even though it has orange fabric too. The same happens to the yellows. 

White - 2, Grey - 7, Yellow - 10, Pink - 14, Aqua - 21, Brown - 21, Orange - 30, Black - 31, Purple - 33, Green - 51, Red - 54, Bleu - 65. 

Anywho! What to do with 337 (well, 339 now) blocks? Make more, of course! Lol. 

Enough of this! I need to go work with the strings and the greens. 

It will be a fun year!! 
Enjoy! ;^)

Joining my talented friends: 
Angela at So Scrappy
Wendy for Peacock Party






13 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Happy green scrap month!!! Looks like it's moving forward naturally for you. How big do your 9 patches finish? And yes, Pinterest is my quilt inspiration place, too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always like the idea of assigning a UFO finish to a month of the year. I'm going to try to do that, too - well at least for January! Have fun with those green scraps, too - string blocks sound like they could be useful at some point in time!

Lin said...

Lots to ponder and lots to work on. Lovely scrap bags gifted to you. Have fun. xx

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I love it when people make their own rules for a challenge. Something tells me, though, that you will finish a quilt a month AND blow through the color of the month scraps, perhaps by making 9 patches. Whatever you choose to do, one thing is certain, you are having fun.

scraphappy said...

Those strings are out of control! Sew now and plan later is definitely a great plan for those. String blocks are incredibly versatile. Have fun using up some of those green scraps.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I spy some SNOWFLAKES in those yo-yos, Chantal. Throw in a few GREEN blocks and you are ready for January's TABLE SCRAPS Challenge!! :o))

Jenny said...

That's a nice little haul you've received, I'm sure you will have fun with that.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

J'aime bien cette idée d'attribuer un UFO à la couleur du RSC ;)) J'espère que ta grippe passe et que tu retrouves un peu d'énergie. Bon courage.
Merci pour le partage de liens !

SueR said...

Happy New Year, Chantal. So sorry to hear you’ve been under the weather. There are all kinds of things going around this winter.
Unlike you perhaps, I’m a good starter of projects but not a great finisher. I already have a bunch of new projects in my head for the new year. I love your idea of tailoring the RSC to a quilt featuring the color of the month instead of a block. I like that idea so much that I came up with the same idea myself. And as you say, most of the projects in my head don’t lend themselves to making blocks the RSC way. There are a couple of rainbow quilts on my list, but most are not. Great thinkers think alike!

gayle said...

What a great way to start the new year! (I mean the fabric gift, of course. Being sick is a terrible way to start the new year!)
Have tons of green fun with your scraps and your UFO's!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What great ideas - I like how you used a color to id the quilt you want to finish! Go you!! ( get rid of the flu!!)

Astrid said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Happy GREEN month! OOH! All those pretty green scraps! Love your 9-patches! Are the squares 2" cut? I'm pondering how to do the RSC this year and I have decided on three blocks (I think!). Great idea to finish quilts on colors. My UFO list is way too looong, priority has to be given to finish as many as possible this year. That's my goal! :) Hope you are feeling better.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Looks like you have an abundance of green for the scrap challenge this month! IWhat a good plan to hav a project in a different color and then work on it during the month of the RSC! I hope you are feeling better. Being ill at any time is a downer! Wishing you a productive Quilty year ahead!