Friday, 28 August 2026

So, You Made a Scrappy Quilt

and you THINK you've mixed all the scraps up so that the colours are well balanced across the whole quilt. You've looked at it and looked at it again and again, from every angle, and you've removed certain prints to add more variety or you've moved them around several times to see WHERE was the best place for this or that pattern. You made all the decisions yourself to make sure everything was perfect. 

Riiiiigghhtt!!!! 

And you are so proud of this beautiful scrappy quilt that you decide to hand quilt it. 




The brain is such a wonderful piece of art. Since the beginning of time, humans have sorted and stored things. Innocently, it started with grains and seeds to grow them again the next year, making sure not to mix the seeds, etc., and things evolved and we started sorting and storing bigger things by groups and categories, and labelling everything, etc. 

I believe this process is now in my brain's DNA. Look at a close-up of the image above. What do you see? 

Circles,  

Circles, 

Circles!! 


These 3 prints are one above the other one, meaning in different rows but same column. My brain told me the colours were evenly spread. I forgot to ask my brain if the PATTERNS were repetitive! 

Now, if we look at the left of these circles, we will see a fox (and circles)


Look up at the print above this one and you will find 


a fox ! 

I am NOT kidding you. Go back up to the second image and look at it again. You'll see. It's all there. 

Did you see the green dot to the left of the fox? Guess what? 



Yep! 

Dots, dots, dots!! 

I have one of the craziest brain. Even when I don't want to overthink something and have it all sorted out, I do it anyway! I'm SO good. ðŸ˜‡ðŸ˜‚ 



I've been doing very well with the quilting on this quilt - Friends' Favourite. 
If I quilt one block a day, it will be done by March 18, 2027. That is the challenge. 

Meaning on Monday, August 17, I should have 40 blocks done. Instead, I had 48 blocks done, INCLUDING the sashing. Three rows were done. Yay me!! 


The hardest part is the first and last block of each row. As you can see the quilt is so big that it's very close to the frame. It is very awkward and cumbersome to sew the end blocks. It takes me longer than the rest of the row. 
 
Some crumbs got together


There are 16 blocks per row. So, I was thinking:  if I quilt 2 blocks a day there would be 14 blocks done at the end of the week. So, if I were to quilt 2 blocks and a bit, I could finish  one row every week. 😲

More crumbs

I know I shouldn't push myself like this because I don't want it to become a chore. It is a relaxing exercise and I want to keep it that way but GOSH! it's tempting. 

Just one more crumb block, I promise

With September sitting on my doorstep, the winter routine will start soon. Actually, September first is my group first meeting, so I wouldn't be able to quilt that evening. Then, the baby quilt drive will take center stage once again, not to mention a retreat in October. This means many evenings with no quilting time. As life gets busier, it will become harder to keep that fast pace of 2 blocks and a bit per day.

Did a crumb star instead, lol. 


So, on Monday, August 24, I had the fourth row finished. WHHAAATT!!?? Yes, because I though I might as well make the most of it while I can because soon I'll be too busy. There are days when I don't really feel like quilting and then I hear myself say "get the sucker done and move on" and I just do it. Lol. (Blocks required : 47 - Done : 64) 

Now that my fingers and wrist are stronger compared to the first few days of quilting, I can quilt longer. The issue now is my back. It's started to complain. It doesn't like the long sitting session, bent over the quilt. It will be another thing to take into consideration in my 2 blocks and a bit per day shenanigans. 

This one, I did do on purpose.
They aren't the same print as the little piece
is not perfectly arched like the square one is but they are so cute. 
Maybe this is where my brain thought it was okay to do associations? 


While I sewed some pieced-backings for the baby quilts, I managed to get a few crumbs blocks together. And a star. (Shown in the photos today)


Hope all is well with you and you get to sew a little bit every day. 
;^)


And I'll try to catch these talented ladies' link-party. See you there.
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts
Alycia for Finished or Not Friday
Kathy Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap!


16 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The quilt always wins so matter how much we try to arrange them. You are making good progress with your hand quilting! Hopefully my life will be slowing down soon but I have to wait until September is over. Enjoy your retreat!

Helenchaffin said...

Your scrappy kooks great! I laid mine out like a puzzle 🤣

Lin said...

Haha! But I think you are the only one who is going to notice! Could you leave the edge blocks and do them when you have taken the quilt off the frame? Well you are certainly cracking on - good to be ahead of yourself. xx

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Way to go, YOU!!! I did not notice the sprinkling consistency of prints containing circular shapes. Your brain really does work overtime! I hope your body holds up and you meet your deadline. . .or earlier depending on what "fun" activities life happens to toss your way!

Vicki in MN said...

I tend to arrange by color and not think of the print so much. It is hard if you are using a FQ pack or a jelly roll as sometimes there is just so many of the same print in different colors. It won't matter in the long run on your scrappy quilt, it is just going to be happy to be done! Be careful not to get your back in a bunch, do breaks and stretches now.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Even though we try to do "randomly scrappy" I think our brains always want order! But I also think making sure the colors are evenly balanced is the most important design thing. So glad you're making such good progress on the quilting - this one will be done before you know it!

Sara said...

In spite of circles or dots being close together, the whole quilt is just delightful. I love it!!!

MissPat said...

It's a scrappy quilt, Chantal, it's supposed to be scrappy. And no one will notice except you. And if they do, their opinion, If they are rude enough to express it, doesn't count. BTW, you are making good progress on the handquilting. It would take me decades to hand quilt a full size quilt. Not even going to try.
Enjoy the rest of your summer. And forgive us our crazy President.
It will always be Lake Ontario to me.
Pat

CathieJ said...

I'm terrible with scrappy quilts as I just can't let it flow. Sounds like you are the same way. I don't think I would have noticed all the pattern similarities either. I think the quilt looks wonderful though. Color flow is the most important as far as I am concerned.

Fiona said...

Scrappy is hard in that way..... but it all looks great. I have friends who have '15 minutes a day" to help with some long term projects.... its not so hard to find 15 minutes in a day to do something and that is progress.
September is always a busy month for some reason....
Hugz

Astrid said...

If you had not pointed it out, no one had noticed. Now we all know! LOL When I do scrappy quilts, I concentrate on not getting same fabric (color) next to each other, I don't bother about prints unless it is very visible the same. Your scrappy is beautiful! You are doing so great on hand quilting it, but please don't overdo and get tired of it before it's done. Pretty blocks too.

The Cozy Quilter said...

The same thing happens to me all the time. On a couple of my recent scrappy quilts, one fabric ended up beside another piece of the same fabric! I just laugh and move on. The colours are what people notice first and if they find the two beside each other, it doesn’t matter! Your hand quilting looks great.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love this quilt so much! I love it even more now that you've pointed out all these connections! Imagine, two foxes close together, what are the odds? The quilt is great and your quilting is perfection. Chef's kiss!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Think of it as soothing - to see some of the same patterns and animals in varying colors near each other

Sue said...

Or you can think of it as a positive design element that draws the eye around the quilt. But honestly, nobody but you will ever notice the patterns. Your quilt looks great & keep up the quilting without going crazy!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Alors là, ce n'est pas du tout ce qui m'a sauté aux yeux ! J'ai surtout vu la douceur des couleurs, et c'est plutôt amusant de chercher les similitudes entre tissus ! Ton quilt est parfait, et je vois que ton organisation pour le quilter est méthodique !! Jolis blocs et étoile aussi ;)