Sunday 15 July 2018

In the Shades

Yes, you've heard me complain about how hot it is at the moment in Canada but I want to finish the flannel quilt for my son.  Our emblem is the beaver for good reasons; we don't give up easily.  Or maybe I'm stubborn.

I had a lot of ironing to do. I mean, an entire quilt to press ... in the heat. No way, I am staying in the basement as I am stuck indoor all week long at work. So what's a girl to do when it gets hot ... she gets smart.

I brought everything outside ... in the shades of a maple tree. This maple tree might not be very big but it did a good job at keeping me cool. (Never mind the stack of branches in the background. It's not from our trees.)

The reverse and ...

... the front. Phew! Done.


Then, the inner red border got on, either early in the morning or very late at night.

Here's a better view of the robot fabric.

And now for the outer border ... what do to?

I thought of Piano keys as I like it when others do this kind of border. Pinterest has so many suggestions that I got lost and also lost a few hours of daylight. Darn!

A blogger friend suggested something different that got my cogs going. You know I love different.


This is what she said:
  1. I've been living in that same oven! Today it only got up to 80, and it felt like a cool spell! 8)
    Maybe you can make the piano keys look like cogs?
    |_|____|
    |____|_|
    |_|____|
    |____|_|
Well! Isn't that smart!! Thanks Gayle! ♥
So a quick drawing. 
Plan A : just straight

Plan B : emerging together

Son (the future owner of the quilt in question) says he prefers Plan A but could I do it all in gray instead of all kind of colors? No, as I don't have a lot of gray flannel and it is a colorful quilt. 

So I did a test block

No sure I like it. :(
This block measures 10.5" long. I'll have to measure the quilt and see how it will fit. I have an idea for the corners but maybe ... if I try it like ....

Back to the cutting board.

See you soon.

;^)


Joining Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 


14 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I think a pieced border will look great. Are you bringing your machine out under the maple too?

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm sure some quilting friends (hint, hint) could mail you some gray scraps to keep your son happy. He IS the one who needs to like the design (instead of you!!)

Jasmine said...

Ironing in the shade sounds really nice. My studio is upstairs and gets the western sun. It was too hot to iron there the other afternoon. Can I say it’s a beautiful quilt if it is for a boy? (Because it is.)

julieQ said...

How smart to take it all outside...bravo!! It is way too hot here, too 106 today. yuck! Gorgeous quilt!!

swooze said...

Brave girl. Not enough shade in Texas to make me want to iron our side! I though you were going with sort of a chain in the border going up and down. That word tie into the blocks.

What do you not like about what you have done? Keep playing. You’ll sort it out!

Randy D. said...

What a clever idea to go iron outside under the tree! Hopefully you had a breeze, too.
The quilt is wonderful; I love the idea of the staggered piano keys. I think I like the look for B although maybe if you didn't you such a light background, A would be fine...

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've never thought to take the ironing board out under the shade - sounds brilliant to me! I'm with Cynthia - next should be your sewing machine! I know you'll come up with the perfect idea for the border.

Fiona said...

your quilt is just lovely... good for you for keeping going in the heat.... I'm sure however you decide to finish it off it will be lovely...
Hugz

Lisa J. said...

I like your creative way to get outside...my quilting has been on the back burner a bit because I get sick of being in the house.

CecileD said...

Tu as trouve l'endroit ideal pour repasser "à la fraîcheur " ! Ce quilt va etre tres beau Chantal et ton fils va le chérir de nombreuses années!

Kate said...

That is a great way to enjoy the outdoors. I wouldn't want to be anywhere around an iron around here this week. The cogs set up for the border looks pretty cool. Good luck finalizing the layout.

Barb said...

what a clever woman! working outside was a great idea. I like your border plan.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Repasser à l'extérieur est une excellente idée ;) Ce quilt est magnifique, j'aime beaucoup la première bordure. La seconde va être formidable aussi, quelque soit le choix final !!

canuckquilter said...

Taking the pressing outside: great idea! It's nice that your son can give you input to help you decide what direction to take the borders.