Friday 17 August 2018

Hi, Long Time No See

I haven't been ignoring you, sweet blogger friends, I have just been out of commission for a bit.

Now it's time to catch up and see what I did managed to do.

So I had a flimsy that looked like this the last time I posted. It had its first border on and was looking for a second one.
After some tester blocks that wanna-look-like cogs, my son and I have settled on one design. Yeah, I went with his idea since it is his quilt.


Then, it needed some corner blocks. Back to the drawing board. I was thinking real cogs this time. My son too but apparently REAL cogs are not crooked. Who knew?
Guess which one is my drawing?


Machine appliqued cogs.
They aren't as straight as my son's drawing it but they're okay.

Did some sewing on the back porch once the sun was out of the corner. It is still so hot around here but I won't complain as I live in Canada and we all know what's coming next. ANYwho! So, did some sewing in the shades. Also did a pajama for son, that's the fabric you see hanging from the table and on top the chair. It's a patchwork pajama to match the quilt, lol.



Finally did the last border and ta-dahhhhh!

Oh look! I think the border is shy. Let's try again.



Ta-dah!

I love this picture with the sun through the quilt.


and the corner block. Not bad at all. Now I need to bring the ironing board back out again and give this quilt a good press.

Of all the fabrics I cut, this is what is left. Not bad at all.

I'll be piecing a backing for this huge quilt (which was supposed to be a twin size) at 93 X 77 inches. Oh yes, it'll be a scrappy backing. :^D


On another note:

I have started some sew-a-long projects and signed up for some de-stashing projects. You might have noticed that I am not participating much anymore. I took a real good look at myself and said: "You can't do like them, (other bloggers) you are still working full time. And have children at home. (Okay, they are adults but they are still my children and they still live here. So it counts.) You need to slow down and do things at your own pace. You can't do as much as they do in their sewing room. You put too much stress on yourself trying to finish projects in time and you feel like dirt when you fail. So stop this."

Now this said, I have decided to quit Scrap Attack which I loved. Sorry, Sarah. It is a great idea and I am keeping my little jar of challenges. I might get back on the wagon someday. I will participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge whenever I can and not try to make in on every Saturday (because I am obviously failing at that).

There is so many wonderful linking party out there but I need to pace myself. Please understand that I still love, love, love to see what you're making and to leave you comments. I still love your visits and appreciate your comments so much. I will just take it down a notch or two for awhile. Hopefully it's a short while.


Bye for now.

Don't forget to smile. The world does need the warmth of your smile.


;^)







23 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

ROFL!!!! 93 x 77" twin sized quilt? Thanks for giving me a good laugh. Oh! That border design? Genius!!

Fiona said...

Your quilt is just ammmaaaaaaazzzzing and I love the border and cog corners.. it's a big quilt..... well now you have given yourself a talking to - are you going to listen??? haha.. I am so with you in that there are so many wonderful ideas out there that I would like to join but this year I have limited them and those that I do join I am keeping to my own beat. I still need to do those quilts that years ago I kitted up because I loved them... I find it all does get a bit overwhelming sometimes...
HUgz

Quilting Babcia said...

I do hope your son loves his quilt and all the love and thought you've put into it. It is simply beautiful! Those cog corners are so unique, great idea. I long ago decided not to participate in much of anything in the way of sewalongs after Quilty 365 which I have yet to finish. Though occasionally I play catch-up on Lori's (Humble Quilts) fall sew-along which is a mini.

Marie said...

You've been busy! Great idea to take the machine outside while the weather permits. Your quilt is beautiful.

Yvonne said...

You are so right, you need to work at your own pace. I look at what others do and wonder if they ever sleep.There is no way I could keep up with that.

Frog Quilter said...

Great post. Quilting is supposed to be fun and relaxing. Enjoy it!!!

Kat Scribner said...

A most pleasing scrappy star quilt. Lovely project.

Julierose said...

Beautiful quilt flimsy; I too am not participating in QA's as i used to; life seems to want to keep me busy these days...but that's ok; it's a hobby not a career and supposed to be relaxing and fun...glad you are back and enjoying yourself these days hugs, Julierose (a kindred spirit)

swooze said...

Hey lady. All you can do is all you can do. I’m a full time worker and my adult kids are at home too. I go through stunts of great production and then nothing. I’ve been in a lull for two weeks now. Hope to get back in gear soon. I try to avoid deadlines and due dates as it steals my joy.

You can blog about ironing in the back yard any time! Doesn’t have to even be a quilt. We just like hearing from you :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how your border turned out, and the cog corners are amazing! I'm with all your other commenters here - we enjoy your posts whenever you have the chance and whatever they're about. It's a hobby, not a job - my mantra!

Vicki in MN said...

Glad to see you back! You described my feeling to a tee also. I loved playing along with a few last year or 2 and I got overwhelmed with keeping up with what I needed to do and that. So this year I told myself it is OK if I don't finish a UFO or make the color of the month. This is not a race!! The quilt top is amazing!

Sarah in NF CT said...

I personally have gone back and forth about starting a blog. I follow quite a few quilting blogs and would love to share. Why haven't I? For exactly the reasons you describe. I work full time running a store that I own. A blog, even for sharing wonderful quilty stuff seems like an effort which will put more commitments on my already busy life. I decided instead to play along, but not share at this point. Bought a pattern to start my first rainbow scrap challenge. It's a vintage dress pattern and, so as not to put pressure on myself I am only committing to one block a month - Hey I have to start somewhere. Your decision to take pressure off yourself and take care of yourself and your family is a wise one.

Deb A said...

Your statements are SO TRUE! We all need to work at our own pace as life allows. It should be fun - no deadlines allowed. I noticed I have not been linking up this year either - life is just too crazy and my sewing machine time is not happening often. Posts about what is happening in your life are wonderful to read as well =).
Love your quilt - too funny about a twin size! The border is wonderful - especially the corners. Enjoy that sunshine and warm weather while you can. So smart to move the sewing area outside.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Love the border on your "twin size quilt". It turned out gorgeous, and definitely worth enlargement. I too have trouble with challenges - I think the problem, besides that pesky job, is that we are comparing ourselves with people who are focusing on that challenge and not working on other challenges at the same time. I have been gentler with myself this year and working on things I want to, instead of joining challenges which leave me frustrated.

Kathy S. said...

The cogs go great with that border. Nicely designed! Happy quilting!

PaintedThread said...

:-D Those cogs in the corner are terrific. The quilt looks great.

Chookyblue...... said...

The quilt looks great........ Love the border......

gayle said...

Your quilt is wonderful! Your son must be pleased with it!
And virtual hugs to you. Do what makes you happy, and not a stitch more. We all have days where just getting out of bed seems like an accomplishment...

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A great scrappy quilt, love the borders!

Adventurous Quilter said...

That's a fabulous border design!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your quilt top looks great! So much scrappy goodness. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Good job seeking balance in your life. I think many quilters struggle with that. I know I do!

Lin said...

Brilliant border - works really well. The flimsy looks great. xx

Sherry said...

What a great quilt. I love the colors and the borders.

I also still work full-time, my kids are 4 legged with no delusions of leaving home (2 dogs) and a retired husband who suffers from CRS (Can't Remember Stuff -- as in "where did I put my tie?" which of course I would know since I was wearing it last. . . NOT. . . LOL) so I completely understand about pulling back from obligations.

I have severely reduced the number of swaps and "do alongs" that I attempt. If I think I would like to do the project later I will print out the directions as they come through for filing.

I have found that I am getting more stuff done by just doing a little sewing each day. . . or marathons when hubby is busy "playing train" (he volunteers as a Trainman on a tourist train) and I have the day to myself.

So, slow & steady will get the things done that YOU want to do. . . and isn't that what we are supposed to do?

Have a lovely day.