Saturday 8 December 2018

It's a very slooooow progress ...

if you want to call it progress. It's more like regress to me.

Temecula had a mystery sew-along. I didn't participate until I saw that it was a Burgoyne Surrounded. So I thought I'd just get the sizes of the pieces and make one block as a reminder to make more eventually. You know how it works. So, I did one block.

I manage to do it wrong. Not a very good example block if it's wrong so some quality time will be spend with my seam ripper to turn around four units.

Also, I am regressing on my hand quilting.

I find it very hard to sit and quilt this one that I love a lot. So, what gives?  It's the fancy design that I chose that I don't like. It is a simple quilt. Why have I picked such a complex quilting design? Never mind. I'll unstitch and start anew. It should take me just a few weeks to undo it all, lol. But, after, I will be much happier to quilt it and hopefully enjoy this Ohio Star Shadow in 2019.


Take care every one.

;^)

Joining Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for slow (un)stitching



13 comments:

scraphappy said...

So much reverse stitching. Hopefully the forward stitching will come soon enough.

Lisa J. said...

You take care as well Chantal. They will be beautiful quilts when they are finished and maybe you will have forgotten the reverse stitching by then.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It is always hard to make the decision to unstitch - especially when you're at the quilting stage - but hopefully you'll be happier with your quilt in the end. I like the Burgoyne Surrounded Christmas quilt from Temecula, too. That's a great idea to make an example block!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I've never been much for UN-quilting. Are you SEW sure that's what the quilt wants? Did you put up a good fight? I certainly would before ripping out!! Sorry that the Temecula Mystery didn't cooperate during assembly.

Kathy S. said...

I was bummed I didn't get in on the QA when it happened. I must have been too busy then. Yep, a little quality time with your "unsewer" as my best friend calls it. Happy stitching (and unstitching.)

gayle said...

Oh, those burgoynes - so tricky! You have to keep your wits about you at all times, because those pieces will flip the wrong way if you take your eye off them!
And I feel for you on the quilting - but if it's making you unhappy to do it, then it needs to come out! If you're not enjoying the quilting, you'll never enjoy finishing the quilt, and that would be a shame!

Fiona said...

oh I do hate reverse sewing so I feel your pain! It's worth it though especially with the quilting if you don't like it….
Hugz

Lin said...

Like Fiona I hate reverse sewing! But have to say that usually having made the decision to backtrack it is worth it . Good luck. xx

Suzanne said...

I dislike to un-quilt, but I would rather it be finished the way I like it.

Quilter Kathy said...

I did the very same thing on one of my Temecula mystery blocks! But I love the project and look forward to quilting it!
It's strange how different designs feel so different when quilting. You want to enjoy your hand stitching, so you need to make it a design you enjoy... happy unstitching and eventually the best part will come!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I made nine of the Burgoyne blocks and had to get my seam ripper out for every one because I got a blocked turned. Like Gayle said, they are tricky and things turn easily.

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Barb said...

love your block and the scrappy fabrics! I made this block years ago and found it so challenging!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This block looks pretty to me. Perhaps you could just save it for something else and start fresh for a new one. I always have to unstitch when piecing and I’m resigned to it. I keep hoping my skills will improve but I don’t think there is help for my crooked eye, lol. Happy unstitching!