Wednesday 26 December 2018

Still Sewing

I'm having fun with the Burgoyne Surrounded blocks. Although tricky, with a lot of pieces, it is still a fun one to make. Here's where I left you last post. 



I had a plan for the sashing. In order to keep the quilt on the small size, I didn't want the usual 9 patch. I want a tiny bit of a sashing. I cut and sew and my sashing turned out like this:

I didn't like it. It looked too busy and heavy in a very airy block. It stayed on the design wall overnight while I slept on it. The next morning, everything came down. On to Plan B, which looks like this:

So much better.  It has a sashing made with little bits of neutral cut at 1.25 inches. I ♥ it. See for yourself.

Don't understand why I didn't use red cornerstones for the inner border. I did put one in the middle but not on the corners!? I am so funny sometimes. I am not about to unstitch everything again. This quilt has had a very long relationship with the seam ripper and I have enough of it. I will just assume the quilt feels the same way. It will stay the way it is. It is still cute, right? Maybe a red binding will balance things out? Meanwhile, it will stand at the end of the long line of quilts, waiting to be quilted.

2018 was a tough year for me and my family, but we made it through. Hopefully, 2019 will be kinder and gentle with us. I haven't made any plan for 2019, except to keep sewing what I have. I've been very good in 2018, although I finished nothing, my fabric purchases barely made it over 300.00$,. This is a record low for me. Whoop, whoop! I will continue to work on the projects that are started mainly the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Slow Stitching Sunday with the hexie quilt still on the UFO's list for yet another year. Sigh! But! But, the 365 Challenge Quilt saw a lot of progress in 2018 and talking about it, here's the latest block.

It's called Steps to Glory and has 44 pieces. As usual, this piece stands at 3.5 inches. Some of the pieces are cut at 7/8 x 7/8 of an inch. Yes, just 7/8 of an inch! It makes for a very crooked block. You have to sew darn straight not to impede on the tiny 5/8 left in the middle of that piece.

Here's another picture, just to help you wrap your head around this piece.
(yes, I am crazy! lol) Not the prettiest one, but it is done nonetheless. It might make it into the quilt and it might not. I'll burn that bridge when I get there.


And last, I had to resign from the Wednesday Sewing Club I had joined just last year. I will dearly missed this fantastic sewing group but I still have YOU all, to sew with and this I cherish daily as I read your latest posts.
I wish you all that the New Year be as sweet as a warm Summer breeze, may Health and Happiness be by your side daily.  When the rain comes, cause you know it has to come, may it be soft and short. Don't forget to show the world the warmth of your smile, it sure does need it. Enjoy your family and friends today.

To the pleasure of starting new projects (and hopefully finishing some) with you next year.

Cheers!

;^)



Join Sarah at Confession of a Fabric Addict
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Angela at So Scrappy

15 comments:

Julierose said...

Beautiful job on the Burgoyne surrounded--I just love the white and off-white in the same piece. ;}}}
I did pretty well with my "No Buy" this year, too...spent about $150.00 --I hope to not buy any at all this coming year and to USE UP what I have--it's hard to design with those parameters, but I am hopeful hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

I love how you finished off your Burgoyne Surrounded flimsy. It looks just perfect to me, and will make a gorgeous little Christmas quilt when you finish it. Happy New Year, and may the new year bring you and your family much joy and good health!

Lin said...

That is a cute little quilt Chantal and your tiny block is amazing! Sending my very best wishes for you in 2019. xx

gayle said...

I love your Burgoyne Surrounded - what a little beauty! (I don't think it needs cornerstones in those border corners - it's perfectly balanced the way it is!)
2018 has been a horrible year, but I'm working on being more hopeful for 2019. May all your dreams and wishes come true!

swooze said...

Your Burgoyne Surrounded is looking good. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Barb said...

Your quilt turned out great! Happy New Year~
wow that's a lot of tiny pieces in your little piece

Debbie said...

I love that you work with little pieces. And the burgoyne is amazing, really amazing.
So sorry you are dropping a quilt club. I find friends in quilting to be my best encouragement and dearest friends.To you new year! May your future days be merry and bright with hope!

Quilter Kathy said...

It looks terrific! I love your version!
I'm going to add it to the links of the other Secret Santas I found on line earlier in the month.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Yay!! I adore small sewing. Wishing you and yours a better 2019. May it be healthful, lucrative, and filled with love... and QUILTING!!!

Marie said...

Beautiful Burgoyne Surrounded - it's on my 'some day' list. Happy 2019 to you and yours and may it be kind and gentle, as you wish.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Burgoyne Christmas quilt is beautiful, Chantal! I really like what you ended up doing for the sashing - it makes a great chain effect!

scraphappy said...

Hoping for many finishes in the new year. There is an ebb a pond flow to all things. Any forward progress is good in the end.

Fiona said...

love your blocks and the little quilt top you made. I think you are very patient with all your little pieces and unpicking. Wishing you all the best for a wonderful 2019...
Hugz

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So sorry you had a terrible 2018. I am ready for the year to end too. Here's to a wonderful 2019 for us all!


Thanks for sharing your lovely blocks with Oh Scrap!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's so pretty in green and red. I agree a red binding would be nice. Some years are tougher than others.
Here's to a sweeter year ahead in 2019.