Saturday 16 March 2019

What's going on?

In case you are wondering what's going on with me, here's what I'm up to.

Since yellow was the color for February, I wanted to play with these baskets and finish this little quilt. So I played with it and changed the blocks around and tried to sew the sashing with the little cornerstones but I kept sewing them on the wrong side. Or I would decide to move the block to another place and then the sashing was on the wrong side of the block. In any way, I did very little progress on this project.

This is the final layout and I did manage to get the sashing and cornerstones on properly. Now I need to cut some setting triangles and sew the rows together. Notice that from the 16 baskets I've made for the original quilt, I am down to 13. The others will play on the back.

Then I got the flu! I thought I had missed it this year because we are now in March and flu season should be over. Well, just like our Winter isn't over (we got 3 inches of snow on March 13th), so is flu season. So many people are sick at this moment. Needless to say, not much sewing happened during this time. But I did some cutting. (I don't have a Go-cutter or Accuquilt for these pieces, yet.)

Cut some greens.
 Anyone remembers fabrics that were sewn together somewhere along the bolt?
This is very old fabric, maybe from the 50s? It comes from my mother's stash. (no, I'm not that old, lol.) I cut what pieces I could then cut out the stitches. This is what it looks like after the stitches are removed. It will go into the string bin as the edge isn't thicker than the fabric. I was able to use up a few older fabric and I'm happy about that. Good riddance.

So, like I said, 1 cut a lot of green. 100 pieces of them along with 200 pieces of neutral. (no pictures). Since these pieces are the same size as the pieces I'll use in another project, I cut some more for that kit project too.

It a little more than half full. Wonder if I have enough for a quilt yet?


As I was cursing sewing the sashing on the baskets, I spin these green through the machine.
Not once but twice. They are now all cut and ironed out, waiting for the third and fourth pass through the sewing machine.

I haven't worked on the 365 Challenge. What? You don't believe me? Well, okay, technically, I did work on the 365 Challenge. I cut some fabrics. Again.

I'm always edgy when I use my blue fabric because I want to have enough left to do the corners. I don't want to use a blue for the corners that isn't in the quilt as I want the quilt to look cohesive.

So, I got the third corner pieces all cut and tagged, sealed in plastic baggies.

This weekend I would like to cut the last corner in the same way. Then what's left of the blues will be up for grab with no worries. Yeah!

Now, you might ask what do we do when all the snow is frozen. We play cars. (the picture was snapped before March 13th and the new snow.)

They don't sink into the snow so it's a whole lot of fun. (The antenna of the remote is at an awkward position, but believe me, my son isn't peeing in this picture, lol.)


That's it. That's where I'm at. For now.

At work, I got news that is hard to swallow; I'm being transferred. 😭 But I love my gang and I love my job, but noooooo, I have to go! We are opening two new centres and I have been "promoted" (not) to one of them. The farthest one! Darn! My commute ride will be longer by 40 minutes daily. 😭 And I won't be driving through the lovely forest anymore either. 😭 Oh, I have to resign myself and accept this as there is no way around it. I am happy that I was chosen to look after the new centre but ... 😥


Anywho!! Let's get back to cutting. Seems like I'm in a chopping mood lately, lol.

;^)


Joining Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Nicole at Needle and Thread Network


12 comments:

Ellen said...

Fun picture - I wasn't going to say anything about the potential for yellow snow. ;)

I am sorry your baskets were giving you grief but they are worth it. I think they look wonderful.

I hope you got a raise!!!

Quilting Babcia said...

Congratulations on your promotion, and hopefully they gave you enough of a raise to compensate for the additional commuting time and fuel required, not to mention their cutting into your quilting time! I like the 13-block layout, there is something very interesting as well as balanced in that kind of layout, and a great way to use your RSC color too.

maggie fellow said...

your baskets are beautiful and congrats on the promotion.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those baskets in yellow - glad you're making progress on getting them together! And good for you for doing all that cutting, even when you were sick. You'll appreciate those already cut pieces when you need them! Congratulations on your promotion, although I'm sorry you have to leave your friends - that is so hard.

Fiona said...

love your baskets.... sometimes it takes a while to get the setting right. Well done with all the cutting... I don't remember seeing fabric sewn together like your mum's greens … you did well with the pieces.... sounds like you are all ready for a sewing marathon and I hope you feel heaps better too to take on the new place with that extra commute. Hugz

gayle said...

Well, those feisty little baskets are worth the cussing - they're beautiful!
So sorry to hear about the longer commute! When my daughter got stuck with an hour-plus commute, she listened to a lot of audiobooks and podcasts to help pass the time. (I can borrow audiobooks through my library - maybe you can, too?)

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW sorry that you were ill! Got GREEN? Looks like you still managed to get a LOT done!!

Barb said...

Cute Yellow baskets! I had a chuckle with the seamed fabric, as I do remember that!
How fun to play with the RC cars in the winter.
Congrats on the promotion - sorry about the new commute.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Sticking with the baskets was worth it. I like the new layout. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Sorry about the new commute :(

Nann said...

If that vintage green print was 36" then it was from the 50's -- but if it was 44/45" it was from the late 60's into the 70's. I love basket blocks and your scrappy version is wonderful!

Froilan said...

Permission to post. Just wanna share this AFFORDABLE MARKETPLACE FOR QUILTERS TO BUY RELATED TOOLS & FABRICS FOR DISCOUNTED PRICES. Visit QuiltersDeals. Thanks!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

J'adore tes petits paniers, super mignons !