Saturday 24 August 2019

Sewing Capsules and Morning Blues

Do you do sewing capsules?

What is it you ask.

Well, it's basically prepped blocks with instruction that are at the ready when you are.



I use fruit plastic boxes (because Canada is a big user of plastic and I don't understand why). Anywho! I prepped some complicated blocks and stored them with their instructions.



Some of you probably use plastic bags or ziplock bags. That's good too and I do too.


For the corner blocks of the 365 Challenge quilt, I need both ... together.

For instance, in this box I have a bag for the left, the centre and the right flower as they are of different fabric. The rest of the pieces for the block are at the bottom of the box with the instruction. It's very important not to forget the instruction.

I love it when I can open a box and everything is there, ready for the sewing machine.
I had a few sewing session and the Field of Poppies became my leader-ender.


For those of you who wonder why I undid Field of Poppies (a.k.a. Good Fortune), well the green-blue blocks were smaller than the red ones. The quilt was wavy, full of puckers and down right below my usual standard. I know I can do better than that, but I was in a rush to finish it and at the time, thought that quilting it would smooth things out. Not. It was just displeasing to me. It's slowly being pieced back together and it looks so much better already. No pictures yet but you can enjoy these little 3.5 inches ones for now.

October 6 : Simple Design - 17 pieces. It isn't trimmed yet and I know it looks like I'll be losing the points of the big square but the original block doesn't have the points.
Different, isn't it? I don't make them as dark as the instruction asks.

Then comes ...


October 7 : Lattice - 12 pieces

I'm slowly getting back into it.

;^)


Joining Sarah for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? 
Angela for Rainbow Scrap Challenge as I finally have the right color for the month, lol.
Cynthia for Oh Scrap! on Sunday
Sarah for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?





14 comments:

julieQ said...

What a fantastic idea...quilt capsules! Love that! I do precut blocks, put them on pancake trays from McDonald's...(yes, more plastic!) I try to re-use and re-use. I then slip the whole tray into a plastic bag and so it is all ready to sew when I have a moment. Great blocks, by the way!!

Libby in TN said...

I also like to prep ahead, though my capsules are usually just piles. And I tend to loose my notes on what I have planned ... sigh.

Julierose said...

Great idea to use capsules for block preps....I do cut ahead once in a while, but mostly on-the-go...the few times I've cut all the pieces ahead I've gotten to it and changed my mind!! More scraps...Isn't it interesting how we all like to work differently? hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your sewing capsules are a great idea! I'll have to remember that! Hope your Field of Poppies is coming back together smoothly!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Bags for the left, center, and right? That reminds me of when I was making my Blooming 9-Patch quilt. Your quilt capsule (or block kit) sounds like a great way to keep project components together!

Fiona said...

oh yes, I love doing that with blocks too. Most of our containers (except very small ones) don't have lids (clingwrap!) so usually it is storage boxes or ziplock bags. Just great to have pick up and go things.
Hugz

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love these blocks. I finally got the colour right this month too. Thought I was the only one not on track with that. I do reuse those kinds of containers but never for sewing. Makes good sense though as you can see what’s in them.

Jo said...

Wonderful way to use those plastic containers! And a great variety of projects you have in motion

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I use quilt capsules too but I didn't have the name for them :)

I save all my plastic clamshells and bags for use in my quilting room. It really helps me stay organized. I try not to get plastic at all but sometimes it can't be helped.

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Lin said...

Very nice to be organised and have a project to hand when you need something different. xx

grammajudyb said...

I’m glad to know that I am not the only one who uses a myriad of containers. Some quilters have neat, all the same size, all the same style quilt kit containers. Not, me!, I have shoe boxes, candy tins, zip lock bags! Baskets, buckets, and tins, oh my!!

Quilting Babcia said...

My sewing capsules are zip-loc bags, though all my triangle square cut-offs and excess binding pieces are stored in Swiffer refill boxes. They make great storage for small pieces, and easy to find. I guess we all have secret storage systems!

Barb said...

great idea! I use drawers in my plastic bins but I end up scattered a bit in the sewing room and my "to go" bags.
I have a few food containers for applique leftover pieces.

gayle said...

I like to make these little capsules, too, but it doesn't dawn on me to include the instructions... (This is why I frequently come across little bags of pieces and scratch my head "Huh. I wonder what I cut these for?")