Saturday 18 January 2020

Seeing Stars ... not really!

I am participating in Cécile and Béa sew along. I got my stars ...


... but they don't line up.


Love this.


Love this.

Lo... nope!

The warm colors are so nice on the grey background but the blue one does nothing to me. I don't know what to do. Sigh!

We are passed the middle of January and all I have are three stars not even completely done. I need 16 stars! This is taking way more time than I obviously have. I need to do something that doesn't take that long so sew.

On Facebook, I saw a participant making Ohio Stars. I love Ohio Star. So, Ohio, I go! Ran down stairs and whipped up one Ohio Star block.

Love this.

This morning I made two more.

Not sure what happened to the orange one but it definitely needs some plastic surgery. The blue is so yellow. It steals the show, don't you think? Am I going soft colors or bold? I don't know. Sigh! I've been following patterns for so long that I don't know how to play anymore. :^(
I hope my creativity will resurface soon.

Btw, I don't have giant pins. The pattern for my Ohio Stars comes from the 365 Challenge. They measure 3.5 inches to finish at 3.

My design wall this morning.


Meanwhile, because there's always a "meanwhile in Canada", when the centre where I work moved, the employees were allowed to take the furniture home (after all the other departments took whatever they needed).

I came home with these two pieces.




If you're thinking that I "just threw stuff on the shelves", you are absolutely right. In an attempt to get rid of some bins and boxes, things were roughly stacked up. Since I was able to close the doors, it was acceptable ... at that time. Now? Not so much.

My goal this year is to make basket à la Fiona. The second unit has nice shelves to hold an array of colorful baskets. (Never mind the blue dots. They are made of fabric and came from a gifted bag of scraps. I just slapped them there as the interfacing was still tacky.)

As I am putting away the blues and browns leftover from the 365, I am cutting up a kit. (I am running low on sewing capsules.)
Adding the grey fabrics from the applique stars too. It will be a quilt for my man, not that I am starting something new. No, no, not yet anyway, haha.

And since 365 blocks have vacated this container I am putting it to good use again. It is holding the 4 patch blocks that are now 2x8 units for my Field of Poppies. So many more to sew. Fun!

That's all for now.

;^)

Joining
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching
Denise at For the Love of Geese




17 comments:

gayle said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who "isn't" starting a new quilt. :)
Good luck with those itty stars! I was making 3" sawtooth stars from the 365 Challenge, but Ohio stars are even more fun and fiddly!

CecileD said...

Mais elles sont toutes belles tes étoiles !! 🤣
Moi aussi j’ai fait des Ohio Stars !! Je les adore !

Fiona said...

So busy there.... I love those tiny stars... the big stars are great too but the little ones are just adorable... Happy sorting - looking forward to your baskets - they are so easy!
Hugz

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your tiny Ohio Stars, Chantel! For your EPP stars, what about using a different background behind the cool color ones, and sewing them together with alternating backgrounds? I like your new storage cabinets - you picked the right furniture to bring home!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry about some of your Star blocks not lining up properly. Congrats on your two new shelving units! You are going to have SEW much fun making Fiona Baskets for storing your scraps. Jealous!! I want to make more of those, too.

cityquilter grace said...

great furniture pieces...my stars are 4" finished...i just refuse to do 3" anymore...lol...365 cured me!

Quilting Babcia said...

You scored well with those two storage cabinets! Ohio Stars are one of my favorites, though I've not made any in years. I like the brights.

CathieJ said...

Those wonky stars would freak out this math person who loves symmetry, but I do like the way they look. I just wouldn't be able to make them myself. Personally, I really like how the blue looks on the gray background. I like those Ohio Star blocks too. How do you find the time? Your cabinets are a great score.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects. Love those wonky stars!

Deb A said...

Those Ohio stars are great.... I'd say just throw them in a pile and keep making them as the mood strikes for colors. At the end of the year... they are going to look fabulous all together. I too like the blue star on the grey.... but that is just me. I love anything blue. Seems like you are loving the bright and cheerful colors right now... =)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I say stick with those adorable little stars. They will let you know what they want to become. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Kim said...

I actually love the blue star on the grey background. =) Gosh, 3 inch Ohio Stars.....you are keen. Fabulous furniture you acquired.

Denise :) said...

I liked the blue star on the grey background, too! It reminded me of a snowy day! You whipped out those OS blocks pretty quick!! :)

canuckquilter said...

I love all your little stars. Once you have more of them and you have more variety, there probably won't be a problem of one sticking out. If there is, well, you'll have the start of a second quilt in a different colorway!

Susan said...

You might have a few projects going on. =) I like the storage units. I could use some like that myself! If you're gonna have blue dots, you have to store blue fabric in there. LOL Those little Ohio stars are cute - but wow, that's little!

Denise @fortheloveofgeese said...

I like the Ohio stars better. Not to say I do not like the epp stars because I do. The cabinets would be wonderful to have, so much space. I use lateral filing cabinets to store my fabric and it works for me since I do not have much. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Tes étoiles sont très belles ! Et les meubles de rangement aussi ! Je suis allée voir les paniers de Fiona, ils iraient très bien sur tes étagères (et je garde l'idée !)
Bises