Sunday 15 March 2020

Pondering

Ever so slowly, I am hand applique these little stars. They were my first attempt at Cécile and Béa Stars Sew-Along. They were demanding too much time to sew so I went for Plan B.
The yellow one is partly done. I have some difficulties with the points. I'm afraid to cut the fabric too short. It's a learning process and I like it.


These stars are my Plan B. They are sewn together and waiting their turn to be quilted.


I am working away on this project as it needs to be finished before the stars. I got a long piece of batting and attached both seat mats to it. It's fun as both are now quilted in the centre. Now working on the black section. I chose a navy thread because I was afraid of not being able to see a black thread on these fabrics. I'm doing this for free for a co-worker. They are my machine quilting practice pieces.



Pondering
I am very puzzled by the people's behavior.

I come from, and still live, in the country where we know that good things need time to grow; where we know hard times and bad seasons come to pass; where we know our neighbours and who's children are playing in the street.  We know that we can rely on neighbours when hard times hit.
These tiny little villages are growing steadily though as more and more city people come here to settle. They don't know our way of live. They listen more to the media then to common sense.
Poultry section
This is what my grocery store looked like yesterday morning. We always go grocery shopping on Saturday morning and it has never looked like a war zone. That scared me.
Beef section far right. Pork on the left.
It seems like pork is the least favourite.

My thoughts go out to those who already rely on coupons and rebate to put food on their tables. Even though my husband hasn't work a day since the beginning of December, we will manage as we know enough farmers to be able to feed my family directly from the producers if push comes to shove. I am blessed.

Yep, we ran out of toilette paper too. Even paper towels have disappeared. I guess it could be a good alternative. (not!)

Since I have nowhere to go I'll sit on my deck, soaking in the sun's rays and stitch away. Hope you do too.

Hope you are all blessed with good health and good neighbours.

;^)


Joining
Kathy at Kathy's Quilts
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework


16 comments:

Julierose said...

It is unbelieveable how people panic---there will be enough food as the deliveries come in...s i g h...
I like your stars--point s are hard i think, too...stay safe
hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

We too are blessed to live in a rural area, where folks are more eager to share, and help those who are part of the vulnerable population. My daughter experienced the empty shelves you showed both on Friday night and Saturday morning when she went out again to food shop for her little family. I love the way you set the second star quilt on "shadow" blocks, very effective!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

J'aime beaucoup ton plan B ! Le montage est super avec les petites bordures rayées. Mais le plan A est très beau aussi !

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like both sets of stars you've been working on, Chantal! The setting for the Ohio Stars is such a fun idea. Enjoy your stitching time today!

gayle said...

I like both sets of star blocks!
I've always kept as full a pantry as possible - have done so for years. I figure you never know when hard times or bad times could hit, and at least with a full pantry you can cope a little better. And a little longer...

The Joyful Quilter said...

I absolutely LOVE Plan B, Chantal!!! I do NOT love the state of the grocery stores. Preparing for potential quarantine is one thing, but buying far more than one would need is gluttonous (and disgraceful!)

Jill said...

Both plans look good. Admittedly, I am partial to 6-point stars, but I do not know what to do with those floppy ears/ends whatever they are called. Some people should be ashamed of their behavior as there are no shortages other than what they are causing. I shall get off of my soapbox now and wish you a healthy, productive stitching week.

chrisknits said...

We haven't seen too much of the cleared groceries, but we have a good selection within a few miles. But milk, my one store was out of all but lactose free milk. People, the milk is going to spoil before you will have time to drink it all! SMH. I refuse to give in to the hysteria. I will go out in public, but continue to use the precautions I always use. Wipe my hands before/after handling public items like door knobs, gas pumps, carts, etc.

Kathy S. said...

Holy cow on the store pics! I haven't been to the store for days. Here in Ohio we don't have school for three weeks (mandatory by our governor). I plan to stay home and stitch.

Quilter Kathy said...

Fear based purchasing is bizarre! I only ever buy what we need but I have seen frantic crazy shoppers and feel bad for them... I know they can't control their anxiety.
But there will be lots of food over the next few weeks for the rest of us in the stores because many people will be eating the stuff they fear-purchased for a long time to come! Maybe we'll even get some good deals with the over abundance?!?
And in the meantime, we will quilt to manage our anxiety :)

Kim said...

These are unprecedented times, aren't they. The hysteria evolving around CV is bizarre. Yes, common sense is needed. I must say your Plan B looks fabulous. Enjoy your stitching.

Fiona said...

madness reigns all over, people panic... there will be more in the stores next week though.... oh well. I love all your stars... great work.... if we have to stay home to get through atg least we know what we will be doing????
Hugz

CecileD said...

Je te remercie de ta rigueur pour le QAL !! Il sera magnifique !!
Cette période est très déstabilisante pour le monde entier... mais vois-tu j'ai du mal à comprendre les gens qui dévalisent les supermarchés !!
Et la bêtise des français qui ne sont pas capables de respecter les règles de confinement comme s'ils étaient protégés de ce virus !! Je te le dis, parfois j'ai honte.......
Je t'embrasse bien fort. Prends bien de toi !! Heureusement nous avons nos tissus pour nous occuper !! :)
Bisous

Marly said...

I agree; the world has gone mad! Your stars are lovely; with the enforced rest you should be making good progress.

Lin said...

I love your plan B quilt! What is it about toilet paper? Always the first thing to go. We had already thought ahead and topped up our freezer and storecupboard - normally well stocked anyway as we never know when we might not be able to get to the shops. So have not experienced empty shelves ourselves but I am sure it is happening here too. We are on the verge of total lockdown, probably later this week but had already planned to isolate ourselves as much as possible. Stay safe my friend. xx

Cathy said...

Your Plan B is amazing! But good on you for Trying Plan A; I’m not that brave. Our grocery stores looked like that a couple weeks ago, but it seems now that people have more or less settled into a new normal. We’ve been once (last week) after the initial frenzy, and the foods are being replenished. Still hit and miss with bread and milk, and no TP to be found. But we had a neighbor offer us a 6-roll pack and even delivered it this morning! We always have a large food supply, so it’s only fresh things that we may miss for awhile. But garden season is upon us! This, too, shall pass. Good health to you.