Saturday 21 March 2020

Quilting Over Sewing

Didn't sew much but did a lot of quilting this past week.


Field of Poppies got its first border. I am so happy that the corners are even in the sense that the light are next to the dark all the way around. I love how it looks too.

Plenty of teal, aqua and turquoise in this one.


Then I attached the quilting foot back on the machine and quilted my heart out. (not even, haha!)
The car seat mats were first to go. These will grace a co-worker's van. She asked for dark grey or black with yellow.

Some simple free hand design. To me, they are free motion practice pieces and I had a lot of fun with it. You can see my quilting on this picture. I used a navy blue thread as I couldn't see the black thread in my dark basement.

This is the back. Not sure what happened with the lighting here as it is actually a white piece of fabric. I might add some quilting in the black border ... maybe not.
They are ready for Slow Sunday Stitching as the binding is already attached.


Now that the navy blue thread has been removed from the machine, I can continue on this one. Only have a few more "petals" to do. I don't know what I will quilt in the green border so it might have to rest for a bit while I decide what I want.

And then I can start on the Ohio Star mini quilt, a.k.a. the Cécile's Star Quilt.
I know how or what to quilt on this one. What is stopping me is the backing. I have to look for something pretty.

And then, I'll switch foot on the machine again because I miss piecing. :^( Field of Poppies needs a second green border ... but that's for another post.



So far, we are surviving the empty shelves syndrome at the stores. None of us are coughing or have a fever. So far, so good.

At work, the Centre is closed. I am at home with my workload, working on my old computer in the basement. (Wish I had a laptop so I could move outside. Sigh.) I still have to work my eight hours and report daily. I don't know how long this will last because there is just so much I can do without my office and co-workers bringing in requests, data, papers, problems, shopping lists, etc.

Hopefully the sun will stick around. It's so nice to feel its energy again.

Enjoy your stash. There's no need to practice social distancing with it, so cuddle up.

;^)

Joining
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Kathy at Kathy's Quilts



19 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great practice on the car seat covers!! Best of luck with the next border on your Bonnie quilt. Happy petal-ing on that BS quilt! You have so many wonderful projects in the works. Looking forward to seeing additional progress on all.

Fiona said...

lovely work Chantal, it is always refreshing coming and looking at what you have made. Take care....
Hugz

maggie fellow said...

beautiful quilts

kiwikid said...

Beautiful quilts and quilting, love the Field of Poppies and the last little quilt. Hope you go ok working from home and you get to enjoy more sunshine...sunshine always makes everything better.

PaintedThread said...

LOL. Cuddling up with my stash isn't the same as with people. But I guess it will do. I'm enjoying what you're coming up with!

Quilting Babcia said...

The seat mats are really wonderful, and you're right, small projects like those are great opportunities to try out new techniques. I was surprised to hear you say you'd like to take a laptop and work outside, it sure isn't warm enough for that here.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow your Cécile blocks turned out beautifully. As is everything you do really. You keep busy. We always enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours don’t we. Take care now.

scraphappy said...

Your quilting turned out beautifully. So nice to have small projects to practice on. Glad that you are able to work from home, hopefully we will all get better at it before this is done.

Kathy S. said...

I was super happy when my pieced corners fit too! Little things like that make me so happy that I take the time to cut and get the right seam allowance.

gayle said...

It's good to see that you're keeping busy with pretty projects!
My favorite is the Ohio stars you're doing for Cécile - love those stripes!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

De quoi s'occuper pour le week-end ;-) Je coince un peu pour le quilting du challenge de Béa et Cécile, pas encore d'idée, par contre j'ai le tissu de dos ! Bon courage pour la semaine à venir, et le travail depuis la pièce du bas... Bises

Scrapatches said...

Your field of poppies quilt is wonderful. Quilted car seat covers ... what a great idea! You have been sew busy. May you and yours stay well and safe ... may you sewing place be happy ... :) Pat

Jill said...

I like the petals in the lighter spaces. Perhaps there is the ability to move computer upstairs near a window. I understand that is always not possible. Continue to stay well.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilts and car seats!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are making some great progress on lots of your quilts. It is nice you are able to work from home. So many people have not been so lucky. I think this is all going to drag on or quite some time.

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Kim said...

Yes, it would be lovely to work on your computer out in the spring sunshine. Your Field of Poppies is beautiful. Love how your quilting design shows up beautifully on the white backing fabric. Lovely car seat mats, too.

Lin said...

oppies is looking gorgeous and your quilting practice is really good. Supermarkets continue to be well stocked here and not busy. We have not been out for a few days but friends report in. The weather is good which helps too. xx

CecileD said...

Ooooh comme tout est beau Chantal !! Bravo pour avoir terminé ton top du QAL des étoiles et je l'adore !! Il est vraiment très original !
Prends bien soin de toi et de ta famille !! Ce virus nous permet d'avancer dans nos encours mais j'aurais préféré qu'il n'existe pas !! Gros bisous

Susie H said...

Wow! You've got a lot going and it all looks wonderful!