Saturday 16 May 2020

Dark Green Saturday and Whatever

Another week has gone by. Another week where I haven't done much on anything in particular. Like most of you, I am restless.

Played with hexagons a little bit. One side is done and working my way through the last row. I decided to use the same fabric as it was already out. :^D
back side of the hexagon quilt

Worked on Jacob's Ladder but not enough to mention it. Thank you SO much for all your comments on my last post. I truly appreciate every single one. Some were eye openers for me. I was really down and out about it. The difference between the block's units and the border units is 1/8". Not much of a difference but after 30 units, the difference was too much math for my poor restless head. I didn't feel like sewing the border on as I knew the bottom wouldn't line up with the quilt and the Super Seam Ripper would have to come rescue me once again. You know when you just know you are heading towards failure? Yep, that was me. :(

Anywho!
I found a few scraps and I just had to play with them. And that was FUN.

This is a maple leaf block. It was ALMOST 4 inches before finish. It was given in a bag of scraps a long time ago. Don't remember where it came from but I like it, with all its quirky-ness.

The choice of fabric is not the greatest as it is hard to see the leaf, the HSTs are crocked and it has a point issue but I like it. Maybe it was the first block a little girl did, or a tester for some new machine, who knows?
It lost some major points when I paired it up with a backing ...
... to finally give a purpose. It is now my newest pincushion. I found a scrap of leaf print and fussy cut one leaf so the back looks like this:
So, one tiny little piece of scrap got used up. Whoop Whoop! No? Lol.


I got some dark green out and made 9 Patch blocks because I'm restless and can't concentrate on anything for long. Is it the funny (not "haha" funny!) weather or is it the confinement that makes us feel this way? Either way, I'm suffering from it too.

One green is actually blue but pairs up beautifully with green ...
... and blue. I really like this little bit of scrap.

Since I found another bag of blue scraps, it lead to ...
... more blue sewing. There's even a dark green in there too.

And some whatever because we can all use more blocks, right?
Eighteen more 9 Patch added to the lot. But how many is there in the lot?
Let's count.

127 in the sewing capsule plus 5 already sewn in a block plus 18 done this week brings us to 150. Do I finally have enough? The pattern calls for 229 9-Patch units but it is too big (75"X 75") for me. If I do a 4 X 6 layout, I need 150 9-Patch units.  Really?!!  I'm right on the dot?  Wow! I'll keep making them since  a- it's fun; b- I'll need a good variety; c- there's always another cute 9-Patch quilts I want to make, lol.

Oh! Another thing I did.
I did some masks. Aren't we tired of hearing about masks? I am too but it is the newest fashion that no one can live without, literally! There's a lot of patterns out there but this is my favourite one.
I like it because the shape makes it easier to breath if you wear glasses (you don't fog up your lenses) and the ties wrap around your head and at the back of your neck like this. It doesn't bother the ears. Very easy to make. (I used shoe laces for ties.) The sides are open to slide in another layer or mask for the professional people.
You can get the pattern here. 

That's all for now, friends.

Stay safe because it's not over until the hospitals open their doors again.

;^)

Joining
Angela at So Scrappy
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Kathy at Kathy's Quilts











16 comments:

Libby in TN said...

9-patch is so versatile. I really like that setting with the rails.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOL, Chantal!! Sometimes all we can manage is sewing ONE tiny scrap. Glad you got some RSC blocks done, too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your pincushion - perfect use for that orphan block! 9 patches and 4 patches are my go-to sewing when I just can't concentrate on anything else. And someday, they will make something bigger!

kiwikid said...

I like your pincushion too, love the back leaf. Your 9 patches are great, you are on a roll with them. I am having days like you,I know I have to be home and am happy being at home but am just restless and we have had our restrictions lifted a little here. The mask looks great.

Lin said...

I love the pincushion - such a great use of that orphan block. xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Je le trouve très réussi ton petit pique-épingles, et j'adore cette feuille. Jolis blocs verts aussi ;))

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I know what you mean about being restless and unable to work on some projects. Making your ninepatches is a very sensible way to work through it, plus a very pretty quilt will be the result. And thank you so much for the link to the mask pattern. I have been trying to find a good one in this style. Have a good week!

Deb A said...

Yes, so difficult to concentrate lately. Your nine patches are looking great.

MissPat said...

I think many people are having trouble concentrating on anything the least bit complicated. I have 2 quilts that need to be sandwiched and quilted and I just don't feel motivated. I made a mask using that style, but it is too small and doesn't fit well. So I'm using some disposable ones my husband bought online even though I wish I could use some pretty fabric for one. I'm afraid we're going to be stuck with using them for a long time.
Pat

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects, and masks!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love all your nine patches..so colorful.
Have a great day!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Making nine patches was about all I could do this week too. Hope the weather improves - I always find some sunny days improves my mood.

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Barb said...

your nine patches are so nice. It is one of my favorite blocks of all time.
nice masks, I'm going to try that mask as soon as I get my elastic.
Stay well

Ruth said...

I also find myself jumping from one thing to another. At times, just non-thinking sewing is needed. Yesterday I made 2 new masks for myself because the one I had been using, which had interfacing ironed into it, made it too hard to breath. This time I just used 2 layers of muslin and one layer of cute fabric and made them with ties because I don't have any skinny elastic left. I will see how I like them. Thanks for the link to the face mask. I think I'll try that one at some point.

gayle said...

You can never have too many nine patches! Such a useful and pretty block!
I've always been flitty and dithery, but these days I'm even more so. At least the last couple of days have been warmer and sunshiney, so maybe things are looking up.

Susie H said...

You can't beat a 9-patch in my opinion. I love everything hexie! Looks good!