Friday 8 May 2020

In a Fine Pickle!

Yep! That's where I'm at.

Jacob's Ladder is my problem child at the moment because I made an assumption.

Let's go back.
- I saw a Jacob's Ladder quilt on Pinterest
- It had a lovely border
- My Jacob's Ladder top is waiting for a border since 2013
- Can't find Jacob's top
- Started to make blocks for the border lest I forget what it was like
- Found the top
- Continued to make blocks because I like it
- Counted the blocks made - missing 14
- Made 14 more blocks
- Assembled blocks together in a long border
- Assembled more blocks into another border
- Set borders beside quilts
- Borders don't fit
- Wait! what??

There's the pickle!!
I assume that the pieces in Jacob's block were 3 inches finished and made the border blocks accordingly.


It would look nice right?

It's way too long, even if I remove a block or two; the measurements aren't even.

So! 

Options are 
- Undo all the Economy blocks, cut them down to size, and resew (106 blocks)
- Don't add any borders and finish the quilt as is
- Make the stop border wider and hope no one will notice the different sizes 
- Throw the quilt back into the drawer it came out of
- or any other suggestion you have is welcome :^)

See, this was the (very quickly drawn) layout of the quilt I saw on Pinterest. It had a stop border of dark fabric, then the pieced border is added. Now, because of the pickle, what if I make the border wider to reach the length of the border? Will it look silly because the pieces in the block and the pieces in the border aren't the same sizes? 

Let me know what you think please. Thank you. ;^)



On a much happier note, on Tuesday I had a lovely surprise in the mail. 

She told me she would send me the puzzle she has just finished. When I got the box, I was all excited. I got a new puzzle to do. Little did I know! 

Inside the box was. 
a bag! A GORGEOUS bag! 

A BIG gorgeous bag! Beautifully made too. 

The puzzle! Oh, this will be fun! 

And look! There's more!!!
Two pot holders! Such lovely fabrics. I am spoiled. So spoiled. 

Now when I say the bag is big, it's huge!
The bag is 17.5" by 26" deep! It will be used to carry my projects to the Artisanat's reunions because it is big enough and I want to show it off.  

In her lovely card, Karin says she hopes that I will use the gifts. You bet I will! The potholders are so refreshing and Spring-like that they bring a smile to my face every single time I look at them. (Especially since we're still getting snowflakes.) 

Thank you so much, Karin. Bless your generous heart. ♥ 
(You can see how busy this girl is at the end of the dirt road, handling a huge farm with her husband (and sometimes a crew) AND sewing too.) 


So that's all I have for now. 
Thank goodness I have other projects (and a puzzle too) to work on while I ponder about Jacob.  Lol.

;^)


Joining
Sarah at Confession of a Fabric Addict
Angela at So Scrappy







19 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

So, how wide would your stop border have to be for the economy block borders to fit? I love the economy blocks at the larger size, as everything else is all one size. One idea would be to make two stop borders, the first being a very narrow "flange" and a second wider stop border, then the economy blocks. Just a thought.

kiwikid said...

What a wonderful present! Very special. I agree with the comment above, create borders to fit your economy border. Seems a shame to have to unpick all the work you have done. Once it is all finished will it be that obvious that the blocks are a different size? I like the larger size border blocks too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a special treat, Chantal. You deserve it! About the border? Stop border to fit the pieced border you've created. No one will be the wiser!

Lin said...

I agree with previous comments - and who is going to notice the slight difference in size! Lovely gifts Chantal. xx

Vicki in MN said...

I think I would add the stop border to make the economy blocks fit. Done is better than fretting over it. After quilting no one will notice.

Shelly Cooper said...

adjusting your coping strip works well! You also could do a small adjustment on your coping strip and also add border to your economy blocks- makes them look like they are floating and no one would notice a size difference, we the creator are the only ones who see these things. Also ask yourself this question- Are you trying to make a show quilt or a to be loved and used till nothing is left quilt? What you have made looks great and will still look great, whichever solution YOU choose to do!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Now, why do I look at Jacob's Ladder and see pickles? Hmmm...? I was thinking you should just make your stop border a bit bigger to allow for your already made border blocks. Please don't put it all back in the drawer - too pretty for that!

Kathy S. said...

I would add stop borders to make the economy blocks fit. They are gorgeous. I love the colors. Many quilts do not have the pieced blocks in the borders the same size of the pieces in the center blocks. It will look great! DO NOT put it back into the drawer! Give it a chance. :)

Cathy said...

I certainly would not cut down and remake those Economy blocks but I'm kind of lazy and hate to rip and remake. And I always have pickles when I try to add borders so I rarely add them. Who needs that many pickles?

I agree with everyone else about making stop borders a little wider. I don't think it would look very good put back in a drawer.

PaintedThread said...

Lots of good stuff!

Ugh. The border - I feel for you! I'd go with the stop border. If people notice the size difference, they'll think it's on purpose.

Libby in TN said...

I would be the one to throw it back into the drawer for another two years! But I think the stop border is the solution and it wouldn't bother me that the economy blocks are bigger then the units in the blocks. Just my two cents ...

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely Jacob's Ladder quilt, and great idea for the border. Once you have the math right with the new stop border, the pieced border will look fine. Whenever I'm worried about stuff like that, I look at antique quilts for a while and then I feel better. Quilters followed fewer rules then, and still made amazing quilts.

Sue said...

Definitely no on re-doing the Economy blocks! ugh! Also no to throwing it in the drawer. I would go with the fiddling with the stop border. I agree with Sylvia that sometimes we get too bogged down by rules. Who made these rules? Fix the stop border & get 'er done!

Cathy said...

The Jacob’s Ladder is too lovely to stuff back in a drawer, so don’t you dare! LOL. Just make the stop border slightly larger. Easy Peasy. No one will care (honestly!!) if the economy blocks are different from the blocks in the body of the quilt. The quilt police don’t even have that on their list!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am on the same side as the group - just make it work! But you knew I would vote not to take out the seam ripper :)

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Barb said...

what a great quilt. the colors are just great. I'm sorry and I feel your frustration for sure.
Coping strips are a good solution.
What a nice package!

Quilty Chaos said...

Definitely the solid border between. No one will know that the size difference wasn't intentional and it will even be fine if that border ends up different on top/bottop that it is on the sides.

Susie H said...

I would most definitely add the stop border and continue on with the economy block border. So it's a slightly different size block. Doesn't matter one tiny little bit. What a beautiful quilt it's going to be ... let's git 'er done! *wink*

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I agree with the previous comments, Chantal. A stop border would allow you to use those pretty economy blocks for the border of that amazing quilt. That's such a great pattern. And you're very welcome and much too kind! I just wanted to send you a little sunshine. :)