Thursday 27 August 2020

Whatever Wednesday Hexies Edition


The closer I get to finishing a flimsy, the more the quilt pushes back the finishing line. It never misses. Remember Jacob quilt's borders ordeal? (See this post.) (Also this post.)

The Quilt of the Century has its own little mischief in store for me.

It first started with, Oh! What the Flinging Burgers is this?? 

A stain! Yes! In the middle of my border. Why didn't I catch that when I was pinning the border to the quilt? Because this is MY life. It's not all pink and rosy Barbie's life. That's why! 


Well, now, that won't do. So I unpinned the border. You can see the wet spot where I tried to wash it off. 

Cut the stained fabric out and pinned it back to the quilt. Make sure it is at a 90 degree angle with the side border. Looks good. 


Sat down and sewed the pieces together by hand. Turned the quilt around to admire my great job and 

"The fabric IS backward, ladies and gentlemen. Yeesss, it has been sewn down with the wrong side up. What a DREADful deception this must be for Chantal." says the narrator of my life as I just sit there, eyes wide open, while the desire of stabbing this quilt to death overwhelmed me. (Can't wait to quilt this one now!)  

Unpinned the border from the quilt once more, armed with my faithful seam ripper we slashed this seam wide open, flipped the darn fabric over, kept a quarter inch seam allowance,  
and pinned it back to the quilt! Now! Made sure the fabric is on the right side. Measured everything twice. Made sure it is at a 90 degree angle. Made sure the border does not wave in any directions. Now. Can. I. Sew. The. Darn. Thing. On. Yes. Or. No? 




Nah! Too tired! I'm going to bed. Tomorrow's another day. 

;^)



Working with the new Blogger. 
Not that I think I am any better than anyone else, (cause I'm not) but because this is what I do and I thought it might help others have a more pleasant experience with the new Blogger. It might help with those photos that don't always behave well ... and it might not help. 

When I start a new post, I type a few lines and then I remove the hidden formatting. To do this, you have to click on the three dots at the end of the tool bar. (which is under the title of your post)

A little tool box will appear. Now, highlight all your text written so far in your post, (you can hold control (CTRL) with the A together to achieve this) then click on the crossed T in the tool box (clear formatting). 

You will notice your text change a little bit. If you had paragraphs, the distance between them will be different. It is do to the cancelling of the multi-spacing. I do this because I like to decide how many spaces I want between my paragraphs or photos. It is MY post. (I hope this is not too hard understand.)
Anywho! You do as you wish. It is yours to have fun with.  

As always, enjoy! ;^)



Joined 













19 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh dear. We have ALL been there, with the stains (mine are generally blood from self-inflicted straight pin stab wounds) as well as sewing things together perfectly -- except for being wrong side up, upside down, backwards, or not the right block in the first place... This is just the muses testing you in the wilderness. Having proven yourself a worthy quilt warrior, NOW you will be granted access to Quilting Nirvana! I predict that today things will go much more smoothly for you, and that this quilt will be worth all of the frustration it's caused you when it's finished!

Denise @fortheloveofgeese said...

You poor thing, I did this on my butterfly. Fortunately I realized it and it was an easy fix. Stains, well let me tell you my latest on that. I seldom use pins in my sewing room because it never fails, I stab myself and bleed all over the top. So I save the pins for longarm. Over the weekend I loaded a project on the frame and apparently I stuck myself and didn't realize it until I seeing blood on the piece. I used to say, "if it doesn't have my blood on it I didn't make it". Perhaps I should change "make it" to "quilt it. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down and sharing your sewing mishap with us, makes me feel better.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I had a quilt that did that to me, too! Ugh! So frustrating. I did have to walk away overnight, too. Thanks for the tips on Blogger! I'm doing okay with it, but it is still true that about once a week, I will go to write a post, and I'll find yet another new change to figure out. If they would just stop that, we'd all be happier!

PaintedThread said...

Oh, what a trial! I had some fabric that I was constantly putting wrong-side up. Bah. And a stain like that is a killer.

Blogger has fixed a few things lately with the new interface. But I feel your pain - it's been quite the learning curve to get it to do what I want.

Quilting Babcia said...

I really admire your tenacity with not only hexies but all that hand piecing, etc. etc. I've done the same thing with reversing the fabric. In the end you will be delighted with the finished product, kind of like childbirth I guess, you soon forget all the pain and suffering when that fuzzy little head touches your cheek! As for Blogger, I'm not too bummed about it except for two things, the immensely increased filthy spam they allow through, and that stupid Redirect notice when I try to click on someone's blog post from my blogger 'reading list'. Any ideas on how to get rid of that?

swooze said...

How frustrating! Good job sticking with it.

Thanks for the blogger tip.

Miaismine said...

You are wonderful! You are tenacious! You are amazing! You stuck with a project that would have made me cry in frustration and maybe stuck it in a closet. Good for you! Thank you for sharing the Blogger tip!

kiwikid said...

That quilt has presented many challenges to you, well done for keeping going. Thanks for the blogger tip too.

Lin said...

Oh dear - I do feel for you! xx

Libby in TN said...

You have handled your setbacks with grace. Thanks for the formatting tip. I have decided to live with the space after paragraphs, though I still have to remember not to return twice.

CecileD said...

Oh mince ! Flûte ! Zut !! Tu as vu ?? Je reste polie :)))
Tu as bien rattrapé ouf !!
J'aime beaucoup faire les hexies et les tiens sont très beaux !
Bisous

gayle said...

Oh, I hear you! I've had projects like that, too! Good for you for forging on!
Thanks for the Blogger tip! I've been tinkering around with it, but seems like every time I have it all figured out, they change something without telling me. I suspect it's just some kind of cruel cruel game...

Deanna W said...

We stare at it with the hopes that something will magically change but we know deep down we have a ripping job ahead of us. I feel your pain!! Thanks for the information about the new blogger. Placing photos has been my pain, everything else isn't much different than the old blogger.

Karrin Hurd said...

I have those kinds of days too! Glad you caught it! I reverted back to Legacy Blogger before the cutoff date. It seems to be working so far.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Oh, Chantal, I can relate. My life isn't pink and rosy, either. You are a shining example of perseverance through adversity, and I salute you. About blogger, I agree with gayle's comment, it's just a cruel cruel game.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Some quilts decide to fight you all the way to the finish line! Keep at it, you will win. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Deb A said...

Oh my... you have had a difficult week with this quilt. Let's hope it starts to behave and it will be smooth sailing here on out.

Kim said...

Argh....don't you hate those days when everything seems to go wrong in the land of quilting. Thank you for the tip re formatting; it is much appreciated.

Fiona said...

ooooopppssssss....... I feel your pain!!!

Hugz