Saturday 5 September 2020

Change of Plans


I've been at it until it was done. I am so pleased with it. 


The original plan was to add some appliques on the border. I find the border pretty "naked" at the moment.


The mitered corners are almost perfect. Only one is off-centered. For a first try, I think this is excellent.
 

I had cut the fabric 7.5 inches, thinking I will have enough to add a diamond unit at intervals on the border. I didn't know the hexies were to eat 2 inches of that border.

A replica of the diamond will never fit "nicely" on this narrow border. So ideas for plan B are churning. 

Photo 1 for top and bottom

Photo 2 for top and bottom

Photo 3 appliques on the sides 

Photo 4

Photo 5

Which idea would you go for? Or if there other treatments you think of, please let me know.  There's always the possibility to quilt the border so that it makes its own design. Thinking ...  
 

Personally: 
For those of you who don't follow me on Facebook, I had a very fun week. NOT! I started my vacation on Monday, August 31. During the weekend before that, I was suffering from stabbing pain in my head and I could barely touch my skin, it was that painful. Saw the doctor on Monday who said I might be suffering from "Giant Cell Arteritis". It's an infection in the cell tissues of the arteries. So, got a prescription, order a blood test, and a biopsy. The next day, went for the blood test. Back home, DH said the hospital called for the biopsy. It is scheduled for tomorrow. I'm like "wow this is going so fast. It must be really bad". The next day, (Wednesday) at the hospital, told the doctor I only been taking the pills for two days. (The pill did work instantly on the searing pain, btw.) She didn't seem concerned and proceeded with the double biopsy. Yes, one on each side of the head. She removed about an inch for the artery above the temple. Needless to say, I have a different kind of headache now. Lol. 

The swelling is coming down real nice. Still waiting for the result of this test. So, sewing hasn't been on my mind lately. 



How about we finish this post on a happy note? Care for some reds? 
A dear friend gave me a big bag of scraps right before my vacation. Perfect timing. There were also magazines in the bag and I spotted this quilt. 

Dreaming in Dutch. If I could I would start that one right now. Instead, I tried to work on a crumb block. 
Here's my humble beginning with the colour red. 

Have a great long weekend everyone. 
;^)

Joining 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique for Patchwork and Quilts
Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching















25 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Your hexie quilt is magnificent, Chantal!! Any of those border options would finish it off nicely; it depends on how much additional time you want to put in. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. How bizarre and out-of-left-field! Hopefully this is something that can be resolved quickly and forgotten about, letting you enjoy the rest of your vacation and get back to the sewing that you love!

Cathy said...

First of all, good luck with the biopsies. Sometimes the most painful things are the simplest to fix. Take heart that the doctor doesn’t seem overly concerned, and do keep us posted. And that hexie quilt, OMG! Although EPP is not my thing, I am both amazed and appreciative of all the effort and talent that goes into a beautiful quilt like yours. Any border solution you come up with will be stunning.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Chantal, I'm so sorry to hear about your week of pain and biopsies! Hope you're feeling better today, and the issue is easily resolved. The hexie quilt is just amazing! Did you applique the hexies to the border? I think adding some more to the border is a great idea, in whatever shape you decide!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Oh, Chantal, I am so sorry you have had such a tough week! I hope everything comes out okay very soon. There is just nothing worse than medical issue stress.
Also, I LOVE your quilt top. If we're voting, I like Photo 3 best, but anything you do will be wonderful.

Randy D. said...

The hexie quilt is amazing!! Really nice job.
But OMG... your biopsies? I never heard of anything like that. I hope that your headache gets better and the results of the tests are negative!!
Maybe there won't be any scars??
Hope you are feeling better.
I do love the red scrap block!! NICE job!

julieQ said...

First of all, I love your hexie quilt...it is totally perfect!! I am very sorry about your head...awful!! Please let us know how it all goes!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

I really hope you are on the mend....... I like a few of the options for on the Border but I'm not sure what you should choose......

PaintedThread said...

No, no. You're supposed TO STITCH, not BE stitched. Ouch. I hope that heals quickly and the test results are good. Feel better!

MissPat said...

What a way to spend your vacation. I hope the results of the biopsies come soon and indicate an easy treatment. You are very lucky to have been seen that soon. Your hexie diamond quilt is beautiful. I like photo 3 best, but you should choose the one that most pleases you (and doesn't require a ton of extra work).
Pat

Fiona said...

oh my gosh, what a scare with the p;ain in your head.... lovely to see a picture of you though... even with yiour bald spot!! Wishing you a speedy recovery and they find out the problem quickly... Oh gosh your quilt is gorgeous and i Love all the finishings!!!! every one I thought yes!
Good luck with the new one... it will be lovely...
Hugz

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, goodness, Chantal!! I guess it's a lucky thing you didn't have vacation plans this year, huh? Hoping for good news on your test results. Take care!

grammajudyb said...

Oh my gosh! That’s the weirdest thing! Hope you are feeling better and that you get good biopsy results!
I too, love your hexie quilt and I like photo 3 also! Be kind to yourself and don’t overdo!

Libby in TN said...

It hurts to even think about what you have been through/are going through. I hope you find an answer and relief

Deb A said...

First off - I am so sorry for all the pain and medical issues you had to deal with this week. I hope it is a simple solution and fixed quickly for you. Your quilt is so beautiful! What if on photo 4 you connected those with a hexagon block for a neat pattern in the border? Any of your ideas would work great though.

kiwikid said...

I am sorry ot hear you have been having health issues, I hope it is all resolved quickly for you, they sure got the biopsy done at speed which is great. I don't mind the naked borders, I like all your options but do like the single row of hexies.

Kim said...

Your quilt is beautiful; love those little hexies on the border. I am sorry you have such a dreadful week with your health. I hope the results of the biopsies are good and that the doctors can resolve your health issues.

Marly said...

I hope your health issues are resolved soon; a persistent headache is no fun. The prompt biopsy was a good move; you can't take risks with someone's head.
On the borders: I like photo 3 best, and then not a continuous line, but scattered, a few hexagons here and there, as if a few petals have fallen off.

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilt! So sorry to hear about your medical issues, and pain. Hope the doctors can prescribe something to resolve it quickly!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Ouch! Sorry to hear you are experiencing pain. Feel better soon!

Thanks for sharing your lovely quilt top with Oh Scrap!

Cathy said...

Your hexie quilt is gorgeous! Hope you are Dreaming in Dutch in no time.
Now that you have a bad week out of the way it's time for a good one and some good news! Hope you find some relief soon. Gosh, that was no way to spend a vacation.

gayle said...

Oh! I hope this week goes better than your last! Wishing you good health!
And now you've got me Dreaming in Dutch...

Susie H said...

Geesh! That sounds awful and I hope you get positive news on the biopsies and that both kinds of headaches have subsided by now. Your hexie quilt is stunning! I think whichever way you go with the borders will be lovely. As for the borders, I lean towards some pretty quilting. Wouldn't want to take away from the "main event". Just a thought.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

First of all, love that quilt in your header. And this beautiful hexagon one too. I've made a few blocks here and there with hexagons and loved the process so one is in my future. I'm terrible at choosing borders, etc. You'll get lots of great advice here. Meanwhile, sorry about your arteritis. My mom who has polymyalgia had the exact same condition. They had to shave a tiny bit of hair at the hairline to get at the spot they wanted but it did the trick for her. She had to keep correcting people who thought she meant to say arthritis. I'm very like her so I always wonder if I will get this too. Hope it's all better for you!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Ouch! I hope you are healing fast.

Lin said...

Personally I prefer the plain border and would go for some fancy quilting to liven it up withouth distracting from the design of your hexagons. Philips sister had GCA a few years back - at the same time as he had polymyalgia - neither pleasant so I do hope that your tests come back negative. That red quilt looks brilliant. xx