Saturday 8 August 2020

What am I Doing?

 Lots being happening in my life but not much in the sewing room, so I skipped blogging for awhile to spare you the boring part of my life. 

Ever so slowly, the Quilt of the Century is progressing. 

The left side border went on so nicely (it still had the pieces of paper in the hexagons) that I had a mind to restart the right one. Because on the right border (the hexagons didn't have the pieces of paper as a support), I find the line of the border not as straight as the left side. I'll see how much it bothers me when I get the top and bottom borders on. 

As I was removing the paper pieces, I was wondering "do I have to remove the basting threads too?"  Would love to have your feedback on this one, please. 

I did another pajama for DS3 in flannel while I finish assembling his flannel quilt. This is only the center of the top. 


Also did a placemat top, finally. Just one! Like I said not much went down in the sewing room. :^D

I manage to get the purples out. Need to cut the second purple block (selvage on top of picture). I should have went with a scrappy background for this project as it is getting hard to find pieces of neutral fabric big enough to cut the 8.5" pieces. 

I will leave you with this poster found on the Internet. I hope all of you are well. 





;^)

Joining:

Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique for Patchwork and Quilts

17 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice progress on DS3's quilt and getting a start on PURPLE, Chantal!! Regarding your basting removal question... I would say there's no need for that.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love seeing your Quilt of the Century again! And the flannel stars quilt is looking great. I really like that quote at the end - it's the little things, isn't it?!

PaintedThread said...

I like your quote. And the PJ quilt is awesome, too.

Fiona said...

The quilts are just stunning.... I don't do too much EPP but I would think if the basting stitches dont show on the front it would be okay to leave in... will just mingle with the wadding at the end?

Hope you are doing okay..... we all need space sometimes...

Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

Nice to see you back sewing. I have pulled out a long term hand project at present.....

kiwikid said...

I would leave the basting stitches I too, so long as they can't be seen from the front. Great table mat and the centre of the next quilt is stunning. Great progress with your hexies. Wonderful saying too.

Deb A said...

Looks like progress is being made on a few projects. The quilt of the century is looking great.

Marly said...

Once you've got the papers out don't even think about doing anything with the tacking stitches, they are not visible and not in the way! The EPP quilt is looking good!
I like the scrappy stars quilt, and your place mat is sweet. I may just turn all those 4-patches I was making a couple of weeks ago into a similar place mat, or six!!!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lots of scrappy goodness going on here! I agree, leave the basting in if it can't be seen on the front. Thanks for the poster. Sometimes we need to be reminded of how amazing it is just to be alive.

gayle said...

If you can get the papers out without involving the basting stitches, then let them be! It will also help keep the seams in place and under control when you're basting/quilting it.
Love that snuggly flannel quilt!
Carry on with whatever seems doable each day. We just keep on going even when the pace is slow.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great quilting projects! Happy stitching!

CathieJ said...

We all have boring parts in our lives. I am so glad to see you blogging again. I really like the flannel quilt and the pretty placemat. One is better than none. Enjoy your stitching. Stay safe.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I think we all our a bit bored with our lives these days Love you quilt of the century, sorry don't the answer to the basting threads. A flannel quilt sound really cozy!

Susie H said...

Love the quote and hope you get your quilting mojo back soon. Nicely done on the placemat and DS3's quilt center is sparkling! Keep moving on the Quilt of the Century -- it's beautiful! (I don't see why you would have to remove the basting threads.)

Lin said...

Oh no - definitely no need to remove those basting stitches, the best bit about basting them that way. I love the flannel stars and the placemat design is clever. Hope all well? xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Tous tes projets sont beaux ! J'adore les héxagones. Je ne retire pas le fil du batissage, et il ne se voit pas.
Merci de partager tes superbes projets !
Bises

Ruth said...

I haven't been blogging much lately either, but I have been sewing a lot. I would never take out the basting stitch in EPP. I have done a little EPP but the major one (started 15 years ago, more or less) is still a UFO. Maybe one of these days I will get it finished, hopefully! I love your EPP quilt - gorgeous!