Monday 14 September 2020

Enjoyed the Weekend


Looking at Gayle's Totally Demented quilt made me itch for some HST fun. So, I grabbed a container of triangles, set up the sewing machine outside and enjoyed the sun for awhile. 

It's a catch-all container where everything triangular ends up in. And it was overflowing so it did need some attention. 


The triangles are not all the same size, sometimes not even the same shape. 


There! Now I have a gazillions of HSTs. Next is to square them up. Give me a few minutes, please. Meanwhile, you may look at what I quilted.





Les paniers de Cécile also got some attention. I free-motion quilted some meanders. It is a practice piece. 

The binding is already attached. Come next Sunday, I will join Kathy for a Slow Sunday Stitching. 

I tried to make some free motion leafy something in the basket. Not that bad but more practice is needed for sure. 



Do you have a tip to share on how to stop and restart. Every time I stop to reposition the quilt (with the needle down on my DSM) I deviate from the trajectory. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you. 



There! All done. The HSTs (163 of them) are all separated by size (2.5 and 2") and nicely trimmed. No, no, no. I am not starting a Demented quilt, lol. It's a wonderful quilt but no, thank you. :^D I do have a plan for these HSTs, well at least some of them. 


I only grabbed SOME of the smallest size. Still plenty in that container... for another sunny day. 
Lots of these are from Shakespeare in the Park Quilt. 

I sat down and rewrote the cutting instructions for Dreaming in Dutch. Since the instructions are for the entire quilt with only two reds, the flying geese units are made with a big square and you need 9. Anywho, I find it easier to have all the cutting measurements for the pieces of one side and then the cutting measurements for the mirrored side. Having them by colour was confusing. But that's probably just me.


Today, I am back at work. I am very grateful for this wonderful weekend.

Have a great week everyone. 
Enjoy! 

;^)

Joining Angela at So Scrappy

9 comments:

gayle said...

Ah, come on! You know you want to make a demented quilt really... ;)
(In the meantime, enjoy playing with your triangles!)
I adore that basket quilt! So happy to see it getting finished!

Lin said...

How satisfying to have all those HST's made up. The basket quilt looks lovely quilted. xx

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm impressed with your triangle collection and turning it into all those little HSTs! It will be fun to see what you do with them. I love your basket quilt, too! Wish I had some advice for you on the quilting, but I don't have enough experience with it myself.

Karen said...

I used to save triangles left over or connector corner cut-offs and pass them on. I find it a lot of work to size them up to being the same size. I would rather just start from scratch. Your pile looks oh so interesting and I am sure you will come up with something good from them.

Fiona said...

great work with the HST's... they are always so effective and it will be a good use of those scraps. meandering is hard when quilting... I always like to stop at a place where thread meets but there isn't one in a meander.... stop with needle down as you do and then when you start go slow at first and let it do an extra stitch in that spot then start moving... so you kind of give yourself a bit of a start before moving..... (at the end of the quilt you will not notice those little kinks so be kind to yourself - but I also know one wants to improve)
Hugz

Joan H. said...

Fiona's advice is sound. I had this same problem with machine quilting and then I discovered this: stop quilting with needle down and resume quilting with needle up.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Gayle's Totally Demented has me wanting to play with HSTs, as well. Congrats on taking a layer off your triangular scrap bin, Chantal!!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
I have a box like that, full of scraps to little to do anything with. I'm using mine for a Tile Quilt. I'm also saving pieces of fabric for a postage stamp quilt. I'll have to cut them up soon as I've gathered quite a stash of fabric. Have a great day!

Ruth said...

I do the same thing with triangles. I have a bag under my desk where I toss left over triangles and every so often I get it out and start sewing a bunch together. I tried to see the totally demented quilt, but the link didn't work for me.