Saturday 26 September 2020

Boring Reds

I say boring because I don't have a lot to show for most of my time was spent in the kitchen or at work.

Some 9-Patch blocks because ... we always need more 9-Patch for something and they work so well as leader-enders. 

I did two more crumb bricks. 


I got so engrossed with the HSTs production that the button blocks were forgotten. Oops! So this is the beginning of the first one. 


I am thinking of using this metallic fabric for the second button but ... 
I never use metallic fabric. (It was given to me) So if I use metallic fabric in a scrap quilt, does it need to have more blocks with metallic fabric? Does the metallic blend in or does it steal the show from all the others. Your feedback is always welcome. 


As for those HSTs that obsessed me, there are 400 trimmed and counting... 

... a small portion was used in these free-motion practice placemats. 
Ready for free-motion quilting ... 

Ready for basting ... 

Ready for ... backing, that is to find one. 


Enjoy everyone! 

;^)

 Joining 
Angela at So Scrappy 
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework 


12 comments:

PaintedThread said...

"Red" and "boring" are usually not paired together! lol. I have a quilt that has a few metallic fabrics in it, and they don't overwhelm or jump out. It probably depends on how prominent the gold is. I think with the red, it will be eye-catching, but not jump out.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice variety of RED scraps in those blocks, Chantal. And in your Split 9-Patch placemats, too! :o))

Fiona said...

I love all your scraps made up into place mats.... adn your red blocks are great.... we have both done red scraps lately. I'm not sure about the metallic, if it works go with it is generally my thoughts...
Hugz

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love all your red bits and pieces, Chantal! I think your placemats are a perfect idea for FMQ practice, too.

kiwikid said...

Lovely red blocks, love your placements. I have not used a metallic thread fabric so can't help sorry.

gayle said...

I don't use metallics much either - if it's not shouting "look at me!!!", I'd say go ahead and use it. Like Bonnie Hunter says - you just have to cut it small enough!
Love all your blocks!

Barb said...

all your red blocks are cheery and fun. I love little nine patches and the cross too! have fun quilting.

Marly said...

Nice collection of reds Chantal. I like your place mats; I'm making some too, also split 9-patches! I wonder where I got the idea!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow, great place mats! Everything is better with scraps.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I use everything in my scrap quilts. I say mix away - that is the whimsiness of scrappy. Your blocks are lovely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

grammajudyb said...

I think I am going to join the placemat making! I found some orphan blocks that were gifted to me. I’ll have to see what’s in my stash to bring them to correct size!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Moi j'adore tes blocs rouges, pas du tout ennuyeux !