Saturday 12 June 2021

Purple's Happening


Well, between finishing Smile and volunteering for the vaccine clinics, I did manage to play with fabric. Yay!

First, I had to clean my sewing machine which didn't appreciate it, I guess because it wasn't sewing properly after. !!

It broke two needles and bent one out of shape! It would sew just fine when I tried it without the plate. Every time I screwed the plate back on, the thread would catch on something and everything went to hell from there. I let it sleep on it for a couple of nights while I finished Smile. One morning, I put the plate back on and everything was fine. It sews perfectly now. Go figure!! 

My Personal RSC for Purple is the Framed 9-Patch blocks. I have a collection of 16 blocks made back in 2016. Don't remember why I stopped making these. Probably too many projects on the go. Nah! That couldn't be it. 😝


So I got the multi-coloured basket out and dived in. A piece 12 X 6 inches (like this happy, bright, colourful one) is big enough to make a block but which colour should the solid be?? (Answer at the end)



My multi-coloured basket is overflowing. Hopefully, making these blocks will reduce the bump a little. 
Please note that I have a SAFE PLACE now for the fabric I want to keep for a specific project. The last quilt taught me sooooo much! Smile indeed! 



Five more Framed 9-Patch are now done. Three from the multi-coloured scrap basket ... 



... and two from the purple scrap basket. 

And the answer is ORANGE! Orange goes so well with purple even though it isn't in the print. 


And some more HSTs, of course. What would my life be without some HSTs? 


I hope to get the purple tulip blocks going soon. I will pick and choose the fabrics for these this weekend. Enjoy everyone! 

;^)

15 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Orange was the perfect choice for the purple fabric! Glad your machine fixed itself. Mine never seem to do that!

Ivani said...

Your sewing machine is now at full speed. Pretty blocks, and sure orange was a great choice for that purple block.

grammajudyb said...

I didn’t guess orange, but it was a really great choice!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I was laughing uncontrollably when I spied your "The Safe Place" box, Chantal. You are SEW funny!! Nice start on PURPLE month, my friend.

Astrid said...

Orange and purple go well together, perfect choice. Beautiful blocks. Glad the machine fixed itself.

Lin said...

Shame about those needles - glad all is well now though. Orange was a great choice and your purple blocks all look great. xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Orange et violet, oui c'est une belle combinaison ! Etrange pour ta machine, mais l'essentiel c'est qu'elle refonctionne à nouveau ;)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those framed nine patches are really fun! I love your basket of multi-colored fabric scraps, too. Glad your machine is back to normal now!

gayle said...

Orange always looks great with purple! (And with every other color, too!)
I've been meaning to label a SAFE PLACE, too. I should run right upstairs and do that before I forget again!

Susie H said...

I love, love, LOVE purple and orange together too whether in my quilt or in the garden! Cute blocks to boot!

MissPat said...

I'm glad you followed through a made a "safe place" to keep those needed fabrics. Now the problem is figuring out where to put the "safe place". LOL
Pat

maggie fellow said...

great scrappy blocks - time out is what a naughty machine needs

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I can't remember the last time I did any maintenance on my machine...eeek. Meanwhile what a great collection of scrappy blocks. The orange and purple remind me of Halloween, a happy thought. Also enjoyed seeing your purple irises...so pretty.

hetty said...

Your machine just needed a time out. Glad it's working now. I love your framed 9-patch blocks. I started to make a few long ago too. I had 15 made. So I made one more for a 4 by 4 layout. Now I wonder if I want it to be longer. How big are you planning to make your quilt?

Ruth said...

We are visiting our son in Florida and our 12 year old granddaughter likes to help me with sewing. I brought my featherweight and was sewing some 18" blocks. She helps me with ironing and sewing. I told her to be careful not to sew over pins and then I did it and broke my needle. Of course, I had forgotten to bring any spare needles, so we stole one from my DIL's sewing machine. So we continued sewing. It seems like everyone is using up scraps and that's what I'm doing also. Good work!