Saturday 19 June 2021

When You Work at It ...

... it gets done! Who knew?? the more I work on a project, the more it progresses! Lol.
 
This is a picture from my last post. My multi-coloured scrap basket could barely hold its load. It lost a lot of weight and now it looks like this. 

I dumped everything on the floor, sat down, and sorted. Folding the bigger pieces neatly uses less space so the basket is not as full. I also removed a lot of scraps like that pile behind the basket. Those scraps are odd shapes and will be cut into usable sizes and store in their respective bins (1.5", 2", 2.5", etc). 
I've also removed pieces to make more Framed 9-Patch Block like these: 


There are probably 7 or 8 more waiting to be cut from the scraps I pulled out. 
In the top right corner, those are triangle scraps. Yes! More triangles! 

I also have this one which is bluer in person. I might have enough to make two blocks, but what colour should the solid be? Haha! 

I also pulled the fabrics for the Tulip Block. (Not from the scrap basket.) I don't carry a lot of purples so my choices are limited. 

These are the rejected ... so far, although I do love that polka-dot one. 

Purple tulip no. 1 

Purple Tulip no. 2 
It is so dark. I'm not sold on this one yet. 

Purple Tulip no. 3
It looks pinkish but it not. Will the stripes work for a tulip? 
I'm not impressed with my lot. I know it goes again the Rainbow SCRAP Challenge never-spoken rules, but I might go shopping. 

On to something else ... 

Remember the mysterious block I saw and couldn't clearly recall? I tried to reproduce it and it looked like this in a previous post. 


I've tried different fabrics before stopping at this one. 
I like it but something is still not right. Then I got an email from a quilting friend, Marly Quilts, sending me a link to the mystery block. Thank you so much for telling me about your find. 
The picture I saw was not a magazine's front page but I'm pretty sure it's the same quilt. 

Here's the link to the magazine, in case you wish to purchase it. 
https://jacquelynnesteves-shop.com/products/quilts-you-can-make-in-a-day-book?ck_subscriber_id=264522043

I like the fact that the block asks for lots of slim pieces. My 1.5" log box is pretty heavy at the moment. I'll continue to play with this block on and off. 



Last but not least, when you work at it, it gets done! Second time around. 
I pressed, and pressed, and pressed some more, all those seams open til I thought I would never see the end. 



But the end came nevertheless. 
And look who is a top now! 

Not all the points are perfect but it is done. (Dang! I just spotted one HST flipped the wrong way!) 

Gosh! It's really a scrap overload! I'll make another one like this as I keep finding more triangles. 

Happy sewing! 

;^)


19 comments:

Julierose said...

That is a BIG JOB doing all that sorting...I have a huge bag of scraps to sort too...to spur me on I am making confetti blocks with the tiniest scraps and all the cut off whites and muslins...
I love your star finish--so pretty--don't unflip--let it go!!
I never would have noticed if you hadn't said anything...
Nice work hugs, Julierose
but it is slow going for sure...;(((
I love your

Ivani said...

Great job sorting your scraps.
You made a pretty block. And congrats for a beautiful finish

Claire Alexander said...

Loved each stage of the evolution of the mystery block! Especially the end result. A great pattern for using up LOTS of scraps.

Fiona said...

I love seeing how people sort their scraps, and what is considered a scrap.... you have a lovely pile of them and I love the work you do using up the scraps... great idea to have them cut ready into smaller shapes. I love the quilt at the end.... just perfectly scrappy...
Hugz

maggie fellow said...

great job on scrappy sorting- love the triangle quilt

cityquilter grace said...

sometimes just gotta bite the bullet and do it...happens to all of us

Quilting Babcia said...

Amazing number of HST's in that quilt! I doubt anyone would notice a triangle turned "wrong side to" as my grandmother used to say. I still don't see it and I haven't ridden by on a galloping horse in years, lol!

gayle said...

Oh, that triangle quilt is making my heart race! I knew it was going to be beautiful, but I had NO IDEA! Wow!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have some pretty purples there, Chantal! The HST quilt is gorgeous!

Cathy said...

That HST quilt is to die for! I can’t believe you can see one flipped HST! I totally love the scrappiness, but I’d go nuts (short trip) before I finished the first block!

Astrid said...

Absolutely gorgeous HST quilt! Love it! I don't think anyone will ever notice the wrong way triangle. After spending days sorting and cutting scraps (some years ago), I decided never again and from that time I sort and cut scraps after each finished item. That way I never end up with unsorted scrap bags. Pretty purples, #3 for the tulips?

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! I mean, WOW! The HST quilt is amazing! Love, love, love it!

MissPat said...

The final HST quilt photo reminds me of a similar quilt Wanda Hanson at Exuberant Color has been working on. I'm still tempted by your version, but it will have to wait for cooler weather to arrive. Funny how so many quilters have scant purple fabric as it's my favorite color and I have more than I'll ever use.
Pat

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Bravo pour le grand rangement ! J'aime bien les tissus violets clairs, ça va être de jolies tulipes.
Ton scrappy triangle est magnifique !

Lin said...

The triangles top is a great finish - I love it. Well done on sorting that scrap basket - yes it is amazing how much more you can get in when its all folded neatly lol The block on the front of that magazine is brilliant - I can see why you want to make it. xx

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wow! Your triangle top is amazing. Great job!

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Scrap Overload? LOVE it!!! Nice job on taming the scraps and working on PURPLE prep work for the RSC, Chantal.

Ruth said...

Your quilt top is awesome! So that's what you are always making HSTs for! I have lots of HSTs but most of them are very small. What size are these HSTs?

Sheri said...

You did a beautiful job with your scraps and projects!