Saturday 26 June 2021

I Forgot the Purple Blocks

When I received these purple blocks, I set them aside intending to get them out when it is Purple Month. And I almost forgot them.
 
Thirty-six purplelicious blocks! (The pictures look dark because I waited for an overcast day. In the bright sunshine, the blocks were blue in the photos.) I think my layout still needs a little tweaking. The biggest challenge is the size of the blocks. They aren't all the same. They were made by 36 ladies and exchanged. Each block has the name of the maker on it. Someone decided not to finish it and the blocks ended up on my front porch. 
That's very nice but how do I finish it? With a wide sashing? What colour? Although some blocks appear to have a white background, all are purple. Only purple! 

One block is not like the others. Can you spot it? 

I love that rebel block! 


Meanwhile, I'm still having fun with the Framed 9-Patch blocks. 

I have this lovely fabric with strips long enough to cut the 8" pieces for the frame. What was left was not long enough to cut the 5" strips.  So I made do. 


Sew pieces together to get what I needed. It's not a perfect fit but it's close enough! 
In this picture, the make-do pieces are on top and bottom. Good enough, right? 
I almost used orange for the 9-Patch in the block on the right. Since I don't want an all orange quilt I decided to go with spring green. It is much happier in person. 

The block on the right is very modern in its print. Quite a few fabrics were auditioned for this one. Nothing fitted. Then I spotted this Seafoam Green in my mother's stash. Well, what do you know? It's a perfect match. Like everything old is new again. 

The dotted fabric I showed you last week sports some hot pink in the middle. Again, I did think of using orange but ... I had enough fabric to make two of these, so ... 


I picked purple! It is the purple month after all, and it is the only colour not represented in the dots. I so love the one on the right. Again, I was lucky enough to find the perfect burned orange in my mother's stash. Old things are useful. 


This is where I'm at. Not bad. 

I might add another row to be a 5 X 7 layout, or 38 X 53 when sewn together. Nah! That would be a too skinny long quilt. Add a column for a 6 X 6? Maybe I should call it done at 38 X 46.5 inches? I had fun making these blocks. 
There's more red in there than orange. I might have to fix that. Lol. 

I am working at a vaccine clinic again tomorrow but we have Thursday off because of our National Day! Yay! More sewing time this week if not during this weekend. See you all next weekend. 

Enjoy everyone! 
;^)

Joining my friends: 

Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Denise at For the Love of Geese
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict







17 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Les blocs violets sont superbes, et j'aime bien celui qui est différent ! C'est un beau quilt collectif.
Les nouveaux blocs Framed 9 patch sont jolis, j'adore le Seafoam Green !

Sara said...

Oh - these are gorgeous!! And the framed 9-patch blocks are so fun. Those are a great idea for scrap busting.

Rebecca Grace said...

I love your purple blocks as well as your framed 9 patches!

PaintedThread said...

Ha! I'd never had noticed the one block until you pointed it out. It's a beautiful flimsy!

MissPat said...

If you get blocks from 36 different people, you are guaranteed they will not all be the same size. And I had to really search to find the oddball block. Those framed nine patches are looking good. I don't think the red is over represented. Lots of variety. Enjoy your upcoming day off.
Pat

Fiona said...

the purple blocks look great... very effective pattern.... I do love your framed 9 patches.... going to be lovely...
Hugz

Ivani said...

Love your purple quilt. And the framed nine patch blocks look like fun to make, they are bright and happy blocks.

Astrid said...

Those purple blocks are beautiful! If you hadn't mentioned it, I had never noticed that 'outsider' block. Love your 9-patches!

Vicki in MN said...

Gotta love purple! I did find the 'other' block, but wouldn't have it you hadn't mentioned it!! Humility block indeed:)

Ruth said...

I think you should take some blocks to a quilt shop and search for something that will look good with them. I have a great LQS and one lady is really helpful in picking out fabrics. I have a hard time with that. I love both of your projects!

gayle said...

Love those pretty purple blocks! Are the sizes off by a little or a lot? I do like them set together like that, though sashing would do a lot for making the block sizes look consistent.
And your framed 9-patches are wonderful! Such fun picking out colors for them!

Lin said...

I love those purple blocks! It takes a while to find the odd block and then when you do it really stands out lol. Very nice work on all your lovely frame blocks. xx

JanineMarie said...

I love the make-do parts of the block. They connect you to so many quilters before you! I bet it's lots of fun to choose those solids for the nine-patch blocks.

Bonnie said...

Look at that rebel quilt block going straight instead on point, kind of. If the blocks are way off you might need to frame them to bring them to the same size. If you can fudge them go for it. I really like your framed 9 patches. They look like they are addictive to make. Have fun with them!

Barb said...

pretty pretty purple quilt.
love the scrappy one. Anything with a nine patch is a winner in my book.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad you found those PURPLE blocks before the month was over!! Best of luck on figuring out what to do with both of the quilts in process. Whatever you decide will be wonderful!!

Edith said...

These purple blocks are so rich, just love them, it took me a while to find the different block, your clue helped. I wouldn't consider doing anything else to them, just quilt and bind.