Friday 25 August 2023

ABC Table Scrap Challenge + +


The Joyful Quilter called the letters X and O for this month's ABC Table Scrap Challenge. I thought it was an easy one. Here's what I did. 

I challenged myself some more. The additional goal was to use only scraps from the Multi-coloured Basket as it was overflowing (and still is, btw) except for yellow (August's colour). 

This is how it went. Yellow - checked

Scrap #2 - checked 
Colours are truer in this picture. 
This floral scrap was picked because it has little dots of yellow in the background.  


Contrat: Scrap #3 and 4 - checked 
Nope! Try again. 


Mmm, better but ... let's try again. 


Yes! That's more like it. In this picture and the last one, the top fabric is purple and matches the purple in the floral fabric. Just so you know. 

Then, I started to assemble the blocks but I forgot to take pictures. (I know, right! What an airhead! Lol)

It didn't take long to realize that the floral fabric wasn't big enough to make all four blocks. So the hunt in different bins started. Checked in the dark neutral box; checked in the white scrap bin; checked in the 2.5" pieces drawer, and in the 3" drawer but couldn't find another piece. I was only missing 2 pieces. Darn! 

Back into the Multi-coloured Basket for something else. Something that matches? Something that contrasts? Mmmm. How's this one? 

Good enough she said. Whoohoo! 

In no time at all, I had my challenge finished. There's a big "bear hug" in yellow, a little kiss full of flowers and another little hug in purple in the middle of it all. So I call it OXO. It finishes at 16.5" square and it lays flat, flat like a pancake, I say! Not at all like last month's Table Scrap (crooked) Challenge. Haha. 

The quilting was free-motion hearts with lace (?). 
Not sure if you can see this one. It is almost perfect. 

This one is more visible, I think. My stitches aren't always consistent, but I'm improving. 


 The hearts were not all that good-looking. I'm still learning this skill. 

Some look like deflated balloons. 


No alcohol was used to accomplish this beautiful, shaky design, lol. 

It was a great practice piece and I love it. It will not be added to my Wall of Fame as I want this one above my computer. Yes, I want to look at it all the time. 

So, there you have it, my entry for the ABC Table Scrap Challenge is CHECKED! 
Thanks, Joy, for the fun challenge. Xox


On the working front: Some of you know that I'm looking for a job at present. Like any serious job seeker, I tagged many job posting sites with the type of work I qualify for. My mailbox rings from 8 to 42 times a day. Not all of these are as per my specifications or in my region. It turned answering your comments into a hunting game. I will prevail; do not despair. 😉

I managed to turn some Paper Chain blocks into quadrants. 
I took a picture only because. if you're like me, you love to look at other people's fabric, right? 

... and I am joining Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitches as I am stitching down the binding on Jacob's Summer. More on that next week. Hopefully! 

Take care, everyone. 

;^)


Joining these ladies over the weekend. 

20 comments:

Jeanette said...

Lovely little quilt. Love your paper chain blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is cute as can be, Chantal! It was fun following along with your process, and I love what you came up with - both the fabrics and the design. Good for you, practicing that FMQ, too! Good luck on the job hunt - sending positive thoughts your way!

Lin said...

Thats a nice sunny finish. Great work with the paper chains. xx

grammajudyb said...

What a great interpretation and execution of X and O! I love it! When Joy announces X&O, I immediately thought hugs and kisses too! But I have not made a stab at it yet! August was a whirlwind!

MissPat said...

Great solution to the X and O prompt. Mixing the floral fabrics worked out fine and there's nothing wrong with your hearts. If you can tell it's a heart, it's a heart. They have way more character than perfect;y symmetrical ones. Good luck with the job search.
Pat

Quilting Babcia said...

Your little challenge quilt is sweetness itself! Many good wishes for your job hunt, these are challenging times.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Great Xs and Os quilt. I love that you shared your quilting. Every heart was made with love. What a fun pattern.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

J'adore ton mini quilt, et tes tissus vont magnifiquement bien ensemble. Très beau ce nouvel imprimé floral !
Bon courage pour la recherche d'emploi.

Fiona said...

I love how OXO turned out... and the quilting is just my style of 'organic' .... great little piece.... good luck with the job hunting - it's a job of it's own doing the hunt...
Hugz

Deb A said...

What a fun challenge quilt and I love your quilting on it. I hope the right job comes along soon for you. It is not fun sifting through all the pings to search for the things you are interested in and qualified for.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I LOVE your challenge "checked" mini quilt! The quilting part takes practice and had you not pointed out your non heart, I wouldn't have noticed. Good on you to stretch your machine quilting skills!

Jayne Honnold said...

You are correct! I love to look at other people's fabric! Thanks for sharing your pics!

CathieJ said...

OXO is really beautiful. I love that it is made with scraps. Good luck with the job hunt. I am happily retired.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful little quilt!

Sara said...

Very sweet little quilt. You did a great job auditioning colors. Sometimes I finish things and realize that I needed more contrast in colors.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun challenge ! I like seeing all the ways you auditioned the fabrics... and no alcohol in the quilting - OMGee I laughed!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That was QUITE the adventure getting to your completed ABC Table Scraps Challenge entry, Chantal. I especially like your Xox to relate your project to the letter prompts! :o))

Angie in SoCal said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. So nice to her from you! That is a great letter/color challenge entry. Perfect for that criteria. Blessings,

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Chantal, what a lovely quilt - it really is adorable. Good luck with the free motion quilting and feel free to join us at Free Motion Mavericks. It's all about practice :-)

Andree G. Faubert said...

Bonjour Chantal, le lien c'est https://quiltinglearningcombo.blogspot.com