Friday 1 September 2023

Progress and a Finish

I have a finish and it's not a mini quilt either. WhooHoo!!

Jacob's Summer (aka Jacob's Ladder) is finished. Except for a few more threads to deal with and a label. Let's have a closer look. 



I did straight-line quilting with white thread in the neutral squares. 



I did straight-line quilting with bleu thread in the blue and green squares. It's not enough I thought. 

I went back with white and added two more straight lines on each side of the first one. Then, did the same with blue. 
The top was not stretched enough when I pinned it and I ended up with some puckers. Oh well. 

The borders have an FMQ of bubbles. I thought with all the straight lines, it needed a little movement somewhere. 

You can see the border quilting better from the back. 

The back is a mosaic of leftover fabrics and a summer sports print. 


Voilà! Jacob's Summer - started in February 2013 - finished in August 2023. Measure 98 X 74 
(The grass makes the quilt bumpy. It's hard to mow the lawn because it is wet most of the time.) 




I'm thinking of quilting either Jericho Wall


or my first HST quilt ... hmm!
Both are big quilts, so lots of work either way. 



Meanwhile, I am finishing the Irish Star Chain blocks. 
Most of the stars are done. Only four more to go, but which colours? 


I need to concentrate on the alternative blocks ... lots to do here, about 30 more. 
I've set a few down to give you an idea of what I'm aiming for.


I got Ohio Star Shadow in a hoop in the hope of getting this one finished too. 

The rusty one on the right-hand side is done and I'm now working on the red one.

Over the weekend, I'll check what I can do with Aqua, the colour for September. 

Enjoy the long weekend! 
;^)


Joining these talented ladies over the weekend. 


21 comments:

Jeanette said...

Jacob's Summer is gorgeous. Jericho Wall & HST quilt are so pretty, love the colours. Irish Star chain is looking good.

Fiona said...

Wow... wonderful finish with Jacob's summer.... and I love seeing others you have done... such beauties... I do love a pieced back but they are hard to get very nice and tight for quilting....
Have a lovely weekend...
Hugz

Lin said...

That's a lovely finish, congratulations! xx

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like all your quilts but I especially like Jacob's Chain. In fact I went ahead and downloaded the PDF! I think the border you added really adds zing. Thanks for sharing, I'll be bookmarking this post so I can refer to the border whenever I make my Jacob's Chain. Happy stitching!

MissPat said...

Your pieced back for Jacob's Summer is just like having a two-sided quilt. Well done (and once it's washed, no one will notice the puckers). I really like the HST quilt, too.
Pat

scraphappy said...

What a beautiful finish. The puckers will be impossible to notice once it is washed and used. Love the peaceful colors.

Sara said...

Wow! Jacob's Summer is gorgeous in those spa-like colors. Each of the next ones will be very pretty!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Jacob's Summer is beautiful, Chantal! Congratulations on your finish! You have several fun quilts waiting in the wings there, too. I'll enjoy seeing which one you choose to quilt up next!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Gorgeous finished quilt! And a lot of fun in-progress quilts, too!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Jake's Ladder is a stunner! I like your choice of bubbles in the outer border!

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilts!

Vicki in MN said...

What a gorgeous finish! And looks like you have more fun projects in the works. Have a great day.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Fabulous quilts! I love the colors in Jacob's Summer, and the amazing pieced border. And the wonderful scrappiness in all your other projects just knocks me out!

Deb A said...

What a great finish and I love the colors! Good idea on adding the extra quilting. The irish chain stars is looking great. I love the Jericho wall quilt. So pretty.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I love the colors on the Jacob's ladder. Congratulations on your finish.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A wonderful Jacob's Ladder, love the colour combo.

CathieJ said...

So much pretty quilty stuff. It is all so pretty. Enjoy your stitching!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love the blue and green combo in Jacob's Summer, what a pretty finish. And all those other projects you have underway and awaiting quilting, just wow!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Whoop whoop ! Bravo pour ce beau quilt terminé ! Et beau progrès avec les étoiles, l'effet avec les blocs complémentaires est magnifique !
Merci pour le partage ;)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt finish, Chantal!! I'm pretty sure you can guess which one I'd like to see you quilt next, can't you??? :o))

gayle said...

Looks like Jacob spent his summer by the sea! I love it! Especially that border - well done!
All your other tops look great too - that's going to be a tough decision choosing which one is next!