Saturday 16 June 2018

Silent Gift

Sometimes, things happen and it just make you smile. I have such a smile today.


Remember me talking about my newly made thread-catcher?

Remember me talking about the group of ladies I sew with on Wednesday?

Remember who was sitting next to me?
This is Monique. She worked on her pineapple quilt. After showing off my new thread-catcher, she asked me if she could put her bits of threads in my basket too. Of course, I said.

These folks all know that I play with little bits of fabric to make crumb blocks. At one point I thought that the thread-catcher was filling up pretty fast but saw little bits of fabric. Of course, there's a lot of trimming when doing a pineapple quilt and I left it at that.

Yesterday, I got to my thread-catcher and looked inside.
 Well, those "bits" of fabric were not that small. So I started plucking all the fabric out of there. I wonder if she did it on purpose? Maybe she didn't realized the gift she made me.

I started to assemble the little triangles together.

She used some gorgeous blues. 

These finish at 3/4 inch. But there are so cute. 

All the HSTs are made with her little triangles. The borders are made with my fabric. 
I now have the cutest souvenir of my first sewing session with these ladies. 

I was thinking of quilting it by machine when I saw the middle HST. 


I have lost a few of the points and I don't really care, but the one in the middle, like a disjointed nose on a face, is really bothering me. What happen there? Now I see that the top inner border is also crooked. Sigh! Should I? 


This will be my favorite mug rug. Ever! 

I still have one "big" piece of her gorgeous fabric to incorporate into another project. Yeah! Thank you, Monique. You are precious. ♥ 


That's all, folks!

;^)


Edit: like everyone, I can't reply by emails to your precious comments. For those that I know the email address, I will try to reply. Thank you for patience during these trying times.  ♥ :^D


Joining Cynthia for more fun with Oh Scraps!





14 comments:

Julierose said...

Isn't that just so like a quilter? Just generous i find love your little hst mug rug...hugs, Julierose

Karen said...

Pretty blues. I am purchasing some blues to add to my stash and looking for some in the medium to light range. These caught my eye.

CecileD said...

Et oui !! C'est ça l'entraide entre quilteuses !! Gros bisous

Quilting Babcia said...

Leave it to quilters to make something from nothing! So precious!

PaintedThread said...

Neat! I love little projects that come out of nothing. :-)

gayle said...

I love your tiny souvenir! Beautiful use of itty bits!
I laughed at the 'throwaways' in your catcher - once upon a time my sister-in-law came over for a sewing day back in my miniature quilt phase, and after she left I pulled scraps of fabric that she'd tossed in my wastebasket that she thought were too small to save. They were larger than the BLOCKS I was making!!

Lin said...

Oh so pretty - don't worry about the slight imperfections, they add to the charm. xx

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love everything about this little project, Chantal! Something from nothing - turned into something useful!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

When I sew with friends I always check the bins before I leave. There are almost always treasure to be had. But these bits are tiny :)

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

The crazy part is that she may or may not have thought anything about those "generous" pieces. To me, that makes it all the more special when you have made something out of her "rejects"! Some people simply have no concept of what can be made from those "tiny" bits of leftovers. To people like us... the imagination just runs WILD!!! :o))

Fiona said...

haha... you are like me and keep small scraps... I love your little block you made and wouldn't worry about that little point...
Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

What a great gift ...... And she didn't even know...... Or maybe she did.... . Looks great......

Randy D. said...

That's amazing that you were able to make such an adorable little mug rug out of Cynthia's scraps~! You did a great job-- I wouldn't fix anything. It looks just great to me!
I love your scrap/pin trash catcher... must have been a fun class!!
;-))

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Those tiny hsts are lovely shades of blues and you have done wonderfully putting them together to make a whole. Beautiful!