Saturday 19 January 2019

The Month is Done


I have finished the month of August ... uh uhm 2016, in the 365 Challenge quilt.

So happppppppppyyyyyyy! Like a good movie or book, which has a sequel, August finished with a twist. Let's have a look.

Last weekend, I picked fabrics for a few blocks at a time. It makes the task of cutting so much easier when you have little sewing time.

Prepped units for August 25th block.

They are all the same size, 1.5 inches
And here is Garden Square in all its glory with 29 pieces.

4 H with 20 pieces

English Ivy  27 pieces

August 28 Stoch Plaid with 28 pieces, some were cut at 7/8 of an inch.

Aunt Addie's Album with 25 pieces
It reminds me of Mangofeet's Centennial Star for some reasons. Sorry for the blurry pictures.


Then came Anvil with 17 pieces. Here is where I thought that the end of the month was a breeze. It was a very easy block to assemble.


And last, but obviously not least, August 31 with a twist!!
It's called Mosaic #15. Someone was running out of imagination at naming blocks. I thought it was an easy one as it look pretty innocent. Ha!

The problem was those units with the lightest blue. They needed to be trimmed at 1  9/16 inches. You also have to keep the points in the point of the block. All was good so far when I trimmed them. They I sew it all up. A breeze, I thought!  When I opened it up to press it, not two of the units were the same size.  (#$%#$^%$@#$) I spent some quality time with the seam ripper, way more than my patience could tolerate. Not easy to sew an exact quarter inch when the road is bumpy. It is still not perfect but it is good enough for me.

167 pieces were used in these 7 blocks.

With this, the month of August is done. It took 815 pieces to make the entire month.  Only four more months. The first of September is already done since it is corner number one, which I had to try a while back. You can see it here and here.


On with the reds.
Last week, I showed you this picture and asked what was I doing.
Yes, I just started on Good Fortune. I love this design by Bonnie K. Hunter. I've change the orange for red though. Just to have a different quilt. 

I've also changed the way to do these string blocks. I did try with the paper but I didn't like it. I usually sew my little crumb blocks without papers so why bother when I'm sewing much bigger blocks. I did kept the bigger size and sub-cut them down. If you look closely, you will notice that I've kept true to myself and have some strings that are made of two, three and even four different fabrics. :^D

So, now all the reds for this project are done. I won't wait for next month's colors to continue on this project but will just move on to another color.


This morning, bright and early, I went sewing with the Artisanat Club. We made port-a-cath pillows, 65 of them actually.


Here are the twelve members who made it in, on a very cold morning (-24C), to sew for those who battle cancer. Some ladies were cutting, some were (me) sewing and some were stuffing the little pillows. I had so much fun that I forgot to drink my coffee. Lol!

I've asked the ladies to cut some more to bring home to sew. You will see these little pillows on my blog again. Hopefully soon. I have to find Velcros as we ran out.

I've also made another Ohio Star variation block. It has a basket of apples and a pumpkin as the center. I picked a heart print for the background as I love Fall. The center is not pieced; just a very interesting print.

And that's all for this week.
Wish you all a wonderful week.

;^)

Joining Angela at So Scrappy 
Joining Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.
Joining Em's Scrapbag
Joining Beth at Love, Laugh, Quilt
Joining Sarah at Confession of a Fabric Addict





10 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

All very lovely projects, and as usual I love your Ohio Star variation blocks best!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many little blue scraps that it's a wonder that you got around to stitching up some RED blocks!! You and your group did a great job with those port-a-cath pillows. There will be 65 more comfortable cancer patients because of your efforts!

gayle said...

Oh, so many congrats on finishing August! Those itty bitty blocks are no picnic!
Love your Ohio star! That's such a fabulous variation!

Barb said...

Those little blocks are so sweet~
great service project too

PaintedThread said...

I love these itty bitty blocks. I don't know if I'd ever be brave enough to tackle that.

CecileD said...

Petit à petit, tu construis tes blocs ! Bravo Chantal, tu ne lâches rien et tu as bien raison ! Ton étoile Ohio est tout simplement magnifique !
Bravo pour avoir réalisé autant de coussins pour les malades...c'est très généreux de votre part !
Gros bisous ma chère Chantal, prends bien soin de toi !

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always enjoy seeing your 365 blocks - they are so amazing! I especially liked Garden Square this week. Your tiny piecing looks great!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

All of your blocks are amazing but I am really smitten with the Garden Square. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Rebecca Grace said...

Those tiny blocks are amazing!!! Tell us more about the cath pillows, though -- how are they used?

Ellen said...

You did a great job on those itty bitty blue blocks - amazing! I love what you are doing with the star variation block.