Thursday 26 December 2019

Are You Ready?

2019 is slowly leaving us. Are you ready for the new one?

I'm not. I am still stuck in 2019 with the 365 Challenge quilt. Except for the week of no sewing, it is the only thing I've been working on. 

Let's see how it rolled out.


I was making these blocks at a decent pace, then I got an accident. I hit December 10! In my last post, I said it was a doozy and yep, it staled  smashed me.

It's call Twenty T's and measures 6 1/2 inches.

It has 185 pieces!


At first, I didn't care, I was confident it was easy.
Small, yes, but easy.

Did I fell off my rockets!!


I started with one T, for practice. Photographed with a quarter.

Instead of working like I usually do, see last post, I used "a floor plan" type of template.

The decisions of which blue goes where is easier this way, when I can see what the end result will be. (I can read this mess better than I can read GPS!)

All the HSTs are now there. Notice the five stacks at the top of the picture? That's my BLOOPER!! It takes 5 HSTs to make one T. Since HSTs come in twos, there's one left behind. I was so stuck with the number 5 that at one point I started to cut 5 squares which make 10 HSTs. Hahaha! I hadn't done this one before so that's something I can now cross off my to-do bloopers list for 2019. :^D

Anywho!

Here, all the HSTs are trimmed and ONLY the ones needed for the block. Ha!

In the assembly line, it started to look crooked, points were disappearing, etc. It took me the best of Sunday, December 15, to get an unacceptable block. It took me til Tuesday to get the stamina to rip it apart once again and start half of it over.

Yet, it looks so simple and innocent, the brat! (Sorry for the dark pictures.)


This is December 11 and what an easy one this was. Cute too! RSC contender? Maybe! (It's a 9-Patch framed with triangles. So easy. Just saying.) It has 28 pieces and it is called Bowl of Fruit.


Fanny got involved into this with Fanny's Favourite. Not a very popular name anymore and yet we do have a sweet girl named Fanny at work. Wonder if it's her favourite too?
37 pieces for this one.

Hither and Yon has 39 pieces. Very representative of the holiday's craziness.

Mother's Favourite has 37 pieces. It is very beautiful. I love it. Note that the blue frame is not made with Y-seams as per the pattern. Ha! Contender for RSC2020? Too many pieces for my liking but if I had more time, yes it would be.

Now, where are we? December 15 it is.
Broken Star with 37 pieces also.

Followed by Cheyenne with 21 pieces. Needless to say those two are very easy blocks.


Followed by Four Squares with 21 pieces also. Note that the corners are not mitered as per the pattern. Ha! again.


The Centre of 365 Challenge is all assembled. I took it out because I am looking forward to get all these blocks together. (Awh! I can't wait!!) I noticed that the blocks in the first row of the round-robin are much lighter than what I am doing now. In order to have something cohesive, I have to tone down the next blocks.

So ...
December 18 showed up like this. Peaceful, right?  It's called Creole Puzzle and has 36 pieces.

Have you notice something?
Most of the last blocks have the same middle; square in a square. Hmm.

Moving right along, here comes December 19 with ...

Oh wait! I have to show you something first.

Someone commented that I should take pictures with a quarter for proportions. So here's one that's mind boggling. The squares of the mat are not at one inch as we usually see. But because our mind is so use to see one inch grid, it makes this 2 inches unfinished block look HUGE.

Yet, when the seams are touching each other, you know the piece is small.

And here it is. It's called Lady of the Lake and has 52 pieces. I've never seen this block before and I didn't know there was another Lady of the Lake girl. Anywho!

On we go to see some more T's
9-Patch T's showed up on December 20 with its 25 pieces.

Very easy to do but too boring to be a RSC2020 contender.

Next is Winter Solstice and guess what? It's already done. Hahahaha! All this time I was counting how many blocks left to go and there was one lesser than what I thought. What a lovely surprise. My Gosh! It's my Christmas gift from past me to present me. Hahaha! I am so spoiled!

I explained everything back in November 2016 why I did both blocks then. see here

So, ten more blocks to go. I still have to go to work on December 30 and 31. Will I be able to finish the ten blocks?

My little box is overflowing with the 365 Challenge blocks. I am sooo itching to play with them. Awwwhhhhhhh!

The end is soooooooo near! Whoohoo!


;^D

Denise at For the Love of Geese
Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Angela for the last RSC of 2019
Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework





18 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I admire you for sticking with it. Your blocks are beautiful. I love the fruit bowl, especially.

Quilting Babcia said...

Would I have even attempted Twenty Ts, no way, nohow, no-siree! You are one brave lady with the patience of a saint! On to the final 10 and we'll be cheering from the sidelines!

Fiona said...

Fantastic blocks, so close to the end... I'm so looking forward to seeing them start coming together... its going to be amazing...
Hugz

gayle said...

Oh, that Twenty Tees could have been named Twenty Thousand Tears instead! What a monster!
And there really are some good RSC contenders in this mix. I like the bowl of fruit, too!
And now you're sooooooo close! It's almost TADA time! 8)
(You can do it!)

Lin said...

I am glad you got that first one right in the end, it is a stunner. The others are looking great too. Crossing my fingers for you to get them done in time. xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oulala, de toutes petites pièces ! Magnifiques blocs, comme d'habitude, quel beau travail !

Lisa J. said...

I am so impressed with your work on this project. You go girl. It will be done in a jiffy.

The Joyful Quilter said...

OMG! Are you KIDDING me??? 185 pieces in a 6.5" block!!! LOVE it, by the way.

MissPat said...

I'm rooting for you. Those tiny blocks would do me in for sure. Happy New Year (which it will be even if you don't finish all ten blocks by midnight).
Pat

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow Denise, you are doing great with these blocks. When they first started showing these blocks, I collected them, but I am way too chicken to even try it. I really like the Lady of the Lake block. I haven't seen it before either.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Sorry Chantal, I didn't mean to call you Denise!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh my goodness - 185 pieces! Wowie! Way to go, Chantal - you're almost there!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! Just when I thought you had already made all the most amazing tiny blocks in the world! And now you're rounding third and heading for home. Go, Chantal!

Kathy S. said...

Wow! You have been super busy with those tiny pieces. I love the way your T block is looking with the secondary design in the middle. Glad you are recovering from your accident and getting back at it. Happy new year!

Jayne said...

Mind blowing! That block might have pushed many of us over the edge, but you stuck with it! Amazing!

Gretchen Weaver said...

You are doing so good with those blocks! I can't wait to see this quilt together. 185 pieces is a lot in a 61/2 block for sorry, when I pieced Nearly Insane, I had a 61/2" block with 245 pieces. I foundation paper pieced or I would have gone insane. Looking forward to your next post. Happy Stitching!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

These blocks are all so amazing! You really do forget just how small those blocks are. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap! You will get the last ten done in no time :)

Astrid said...

Wow! Those blocks are gorgeous, and so tiny! Well done! Not many left to go. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.