Friday 12 June 2020

I Didn't Mean To

Look who is sporting triple borders! 

It's Stubborn Jacob! 
It was a lot of work to straighten this quilt out but I succeeded because I'm stubborn (as per my mother). (Cathy said that my middle name should be Persistence. I like that! ♥)
Anywho! 
Yes, I almost called it Stubborn Jacob and then ... second thoughts, it's too pretty for such an awful name so how about Jacob's Summer? Blue sky, green grass, blue lake. I like Jacob's Summer. 

I believe I do have enough of the dark fabric left to do the binding, whenever JS is ready to be bind. Yay! Thanks for all the encouragements. :^D 


June is Pink month so ... 

I got my bag (scrap basket not made yet) of pink and purple out. It's bursting! Okay, so some chop, chop later and ...

... I still had to separate them as there was still too much scraps for one bag. Oh well! 


I did manage to get two buttons and a spool out of the bag. 

For the crumb blocks, I had to pay a little visit to my stash as variety was absent. 


What's that? Are you asking about the split 9-patch block beside the crumb blocks? Yes, well, let me tell you something. 

Sometimes things just happen. It creeps up on you so slowly that you are barely aware of what is going on until it's too late. That's what happened! 

It went like this.  

Remember the big bags of scraps I received recently? Well, of course I had fun and lots of Ahs and Ohs were heard but I like to put away the scraps and I am running out of room. 

Since there were a lot of triangles in the gifted bags and the container of 2.5" squares scraps is full, I decided to do something with those two. Something simple like placemats which I do need by the way. 

Split 9-Patch is very easy to make and could be my leader-ender as I take care of another UFO, right?  Right! (insert chuckles here)

Sew triangles together, trimmed them down, dig some 2.5" squares out, got some 3" squares out to make more 2.5" HSTs.  Everything was going so well. 

Somehow, one container got empty. Whoop Whoop! So was my cup of coffee. Got more coffee, came back down to the basement and ... 

"Any other container with fabric that I could use in the placemats?" 

How about that small one beside the sewing machine? what's in there? 

All kind of pieces from different projects and they can all go back into the scraps bins. 
There were also lots of 2.5" squares (which I need) sewn together in a 4-Patch design. Hmmm! Maybe I can make one placemat with 4-Patch blocks? 
You can see on the right hand side, the previous empty container got a new job; it's now holding scraps sewn together to make crumb blocks. This will be kept close at hand and be a second leader-ender thingy. 

Oh! Did I got to the bottom of this container too? 

Look at the space beside my sewing machine! Am I really cleaning up my sewing room? 

GOSH! I better sit down and wait for this feeling to pass! Lol.

You know what? I can really work on a big UFO now. I got space and plenty of HSTs and squares to make 6, 8, 25 placemats! On the top right side corner of the last photo is a big pile of triangles still waiting to become HSTs!!



So...
It is time for these flannel crumb blocks to become a top. Yay! It's the third and last crumb block quilt I need to make for the boys. 

Now the real sewing fun can begin ... have a great weekend! 

;^)

Joining: 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts










18 comments:

Fiona said...

Gosh there is a lot of activity there in your basement!!! I think you need to install a coffee machine to keep you going!
Hugz

kiwikid said...

My goodness you are busy, love Jacobs summer. I agree with Fiona, you need a coffee maker near by. Great clean up of scraps.

Libby in TN said...

You must be my sister from another mister! That's the way I work, too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like you have been having some BIG fun in your sewing room, Chantal (and congrats on getting Jacob all put together!!)

Chookyblue...... said...

The borders look great on the quil ... Really finish it off.....

Lin said...

Jacob looks stunning with all his borders. What fun you are having with your scraps! xx

Kat Scribner said...

You've really got a lot of progress going on this week!! Great week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love Jacob's Summer, Chantal, and that is the perfect name for its beautiful colors! Looks you've had a lot of fun playing in your scraps this week!

Kathy S. said...

So excited of the progress you made on Summer Jacob. You did an awesome job of making it nice and flat. This is a great quilt.

Marly said...

I love your Jacob's Summer, with its three borders! All your activity; I got dizzy just reading this! I have loads of off-cut triangles too - in all sizes! - I really must attack them soon too.

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful scrappy fun! Love the "Sweet Jacob" quilt top LOL
Really ...it's fabulous!
And such pretty pink blocks!

Deb A said...

Jacobs Summer is perfect! Don't you love when you go through the bins of scraps and magically get more projects to work on? Have fun.

Jayne said...

It's a gorgeous quilt made even more so with the beautiful triple border!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Congrats on Jacob's Summer! I can relate, I'm stubborn too. It was so much fun to read about your scrap cutting/use! Maybe it will motivate me to clean up my scraps!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Jacob's Summer est LE nom parfait ! Il est magnifique, bravo !
Bravo aussi pour le rangement et la couture des chutes ;))

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful quilt! You have really been busy. You should reward yourself with a new quilt start. That is what I would do :)

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

gayle said...

Jacob is a very handsome fellow! (Stubborn is considered a family trait in my family!)
And look at you go with all those triangles! Whoosh!

Preeti said...

Jacob is indeed a gorgeous quilt (to be). Jacob's Summer is a good name for him. I like persistence - it is like stubbornness but with positive vibes. Dealing with scraps I know I need a lot of it. A scrappy scrap vortex quilt is always in the works :-)
Wishing you lots of creativity and inspiration.