Saturday 27 June 2020

Where I'm At

Well, I am tired ... and happy. That's where I'm at. 

The sorting, cutting, folding and storing of the flannel fabrics is 
DONE! Have to admit that at the end, it was really a chore. 

Bigger pieces in the big basket, two plastic bags full of little scraps for more crumb blocks and a gazillion of cut pieces all ready for the sewing. 


In case you are wondering what the beginning looked like. What a mess! 



Then I put all that away and replaced it with 
big bins full of none quilting fabric. I'll have to go through these and share my lot a little. There's no point in keeping all of this. 

I moved the bins in front of my design wall in order to clean the middle of the sewing room. I asked the boys to bring down my rocking chair. Now I can do some hand sewing here if I want to. The boys also have a place to sit when they want to cool off . It gets so hot in the playing room during the summer. 

(No picture yet)


I did find a wee bit of time to sew. 

Five more crumb stars for the flannel quilt. 

This morning, I did some more flying geese units as I was getting low on variety. When all the components are done, getting the blocks together is a breeze. 



Looking at all the cut pieces I am wondering how am I to make blocks by colours when they are sorted like this? I still have a lot of work in front of me I think. 


Then I saw on Cathy's blog "Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting" her gorgeous finished quilt and I went "Darn! That's what I wanted to do!! I should have cut some pieces for these blocks too!!" 
Oh well, there's still plenty of flannel left in this house for 40 quilts. 

Don't really know about that but there was enough pink to make another Pink block. 

Have a great one. If you go out, please don't leave kindness at home. 
;^) 


Joining
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts








14 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

All that cutting was a big accomplishment, Chantal! No wonder you're tired! Maybe having the pieces cut to usable sizes will make it faster to sort by color next. Love the crumb stars and that pink block you made, too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Pretty PINK block for the RSC and SEW much progress in the sorting department!! Well done, Chantal.

Cathy said...

Oh, my goodness...that's a LOT of flannel. Good for you getting all organized. 40 quilts, huh? I like those stars. Maybe I should dig out my little box of flannel and make some too.

Oh, yes! Carolina Chain uses a LOT of scraps. I could probably make another one of those.

Kim said...

You must be one happy lady with all your scraps sorted and packed away. The crumb stars are great. How lovely to sit in a rocking chair and stitch.

kiwikid said...

Well done on all the sorting and organising , love your crumb stars, they look great. Sitting in a rocking chair stitching sounds wonderful.

Marly said...

Well done! I'll say cutting and sorting is a chore, so I admire your perseverance! It's a good idea working on the geese units for the stars all together. I must think of that approach more often!

gayle said...

Whew! What a lot of work! Well done you!
Your flannel stars are gorgeous - and will make such a snuggly quilt!
I've got a Carolina Chain in my future, too, that I'm trying hard not to start...

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Et bien, ça c'est du rangement ! Bravo !! J'adore ton petit bloc rose, très mignon ;)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Getting scraps all organized is a big job. Kudos to you! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Fiona said...

oh wow, your flannels look so well organised..... great to get it all sorted.... love how your flannel quilt is coming together...
Hugz

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Lots of organizing going on there! Good job!

grammajudyb said...

I’m not fond of sewing flannel. But I am encouraged by your crumb stars. I’ve got lots of novelty/baby flannel that needs to be used up! I think I’ll add those to my growing list of “ need-to-dos!”

Lin said...

You have done a great job with all that sorting and cutting and I love your crumbly stars. xx

Edith said...

Wow, sorting is a big job, but it feels so good when done, and doesn't it get the creative juices flowing?