Friday 2 October 2020

Red or What's the Deal with the HSTs?

I am still playing with September's colour red.
Don't like the construction of the bobbin. Can you tell my head is hurting tonight. 

I have so much red scraps that I need to make a red scrap basket. Getting there! These pieces are my leader-ender while I play with the HSTs. 


Want to know what I intend to do with the gazillion HSTs? See this post and this post. 



Sorry dear Gayle, but I am not doing a Totally Demented quilt. :^P




I sew this block with the webbing technique as I really don't want to have one piece turned. I webbed half the block in rows, then I sew the rows of the half block together. Seeing only half of the block is easier for me to detect if one piece is in the wrong way.  

2 inches HSTs; block is 12.5 inches

This has been on my to-do list since I first saw it about 10 years ago. I have no idea what this block is called but that's what I am doing. I used the 2 inches HSTs for this block. Over the weekend, I will assemble another one with the 2.5 inches HSTs. 

2.5 inches

Then I'll sit and decide what the heck am I doing!! Since every single unit in this block is a HST, it takes 64 HSTs per block. Even if I do only a 4 X 4 layout, (which would only be 48" square with the 2") that's 1,024 HST!!! 

1,024 HSTs!! 

Gosh! I feel like I am punishing myself with a life time sentence of producing HSTs. Lol. It's gonna be a fun Winter. 

See ya! 

;^)

Joining 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts




21 comments:

Fiona said...

oh wow I loooooovvvvve the block made from your HST's..... it's even more crazy than being totally demented????? I have decided I want a spools quilt... one day...
Hugz

Lin said...

What a brilliant block! I love it. xx

gayle said...

Oh, I dunno - you could call this one 'Also Demented'... 8)
(Love the block!)

Auntie Em said...

What tiny blocks! The 12" finished block is charming.

Gretchen Weaver said...

How about More Demented? That is a lot of HST's but then this winter is going to be a long one with no activities to attend. Happy stitching!

MissPat said...

OMGee. I've been gathering HSTs for a while without a plan and questioning if that made any sense, but now I have a plan. Thanks, I think.
Pat

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh my, my poor demented brain would be totally fried with this block! You certainly do seem to love a challenge, lol! I hope your headache has improved today.

Cathy said...

Oh my! It’s called the Partially Demented block (LOL), and it’s a sure sign that you need to watch out. It’s gorgeous, though, and you did a maaaahvelous job!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Your HST blocks will be beautiful when
done...have a great day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The HST block is really amazing! I'll go with Partially Demented, lol!

Ellie said...

Cute block!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Whatever you call it, it's a great block!

kiwikid said...

That is a stunning block....I feel tired with all those hst's to be done!!

grammajudyb said...

Two things scar the dickens out of me.......tiny and triangles....and therefore a gazillion hst would reduce me to tears! Your block is amazing..but you don’t have to worry about stealing your idea, I’ll just be watching! 🥰

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

1024 ? Ah quand même... Ce sera pour les longues soirées d'hiver !! En tout cas ce bloc est magnifique, j'adore !

Ruth said...

I found the totally demented quilt from this link. And, no, I don't think I'll do it either. I do like what you are doing with your HST though. Maybe that's an idea I could use for something somewhat small!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Okay, that is just crazy Chantal. I will cheer you on from the bleachers :)

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

swooze said...

You just have to sew and not think about the numbers!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Silly me... I thought that your block WAS the quilt!!! LOL!

Barb said...

ha ha life time sentence of HST. very funny.
I like the block but it does look complicated to make.
I like the spool and buttons!

Susie H said...

I think your buttons and bobbins are cute and will make a sweet quilt. Whew! That's a lot of HSTs!!! Personally I don't mind making HSTs but that truly is A LOT OF HSTs!! The block is worth it, so pretty.