Friday 23 October 2020

Bricks, Border, Buttons

I didn't sew much last Saturday as it was such a wonderful Fall day that I just enjoyed it. I didn't even bring the sewing machine outside with me. 
This week, I played catch up on sewing. Let's look. 

Buttons, buttons... I made a few more 



... and then Yellow Bricks  
This one looks like a cake with candles, lol. It isn't trimmed. 

The "Plan" for those crumb bricks (as I call them) is to sew a border on two sides and "weave" them. 
I decided to use this nice grey fabric for the border and I'll make as many bricks as this grey will let me. By using a grey fabric, I can make some black bricks. Happy! 


Buttons, buttons playing together. 



all good things were coming together ... until I spotted the pink button next to the pink spool! What??? No, no, no. 


It's enough that I have the purple one next to the purple spool, I am NOT keeping the pinks together!!! How come I haven't caught that while I was laying them out?? They've been on the floor for 3 days!! I switched the pink for the green at the other end of the same row and I thought "Good enough." 

Ta-dah! 
Floating on the breeze. It is a whopping 23 degrees today!! That's Celsius of course. Tomorrow, the high will be 7Celsius!!! What the baloney?? 

The too-long grass makes the top bumpy. 
Now, I see that all the pink buttons are on the same side. The two aqua buttons are one on top of the other. Arghhh! I can't believe I did this!! 




As I was picking the pictures for this post, I came across the picture of my layout and sure enough, the pinks were NOT next to each other and neither were the purples! Haha! 

I managed to twist the spools blocks around once they were sewn with the buttons to make a four-patch. That's what happens when I rush. Ha! Guess I have some unsewing to do this weekend. 

I also have to relax, this weekend, and mentally prep myself because, comes Monday, I am starting a NEW JOB! Yep! I am leaving my darling toddlers to go help adults. I am moving over to the Ontario at Work department. It will be a different kind of fun. Can't wait. I probably won't have time to sew as much but that's life. 

Have a great weekend. 
;^) 

Joining some friends 
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts
Angela at So Scrappy 


 




21 comments:

Kathy S. said...

LOVE the buttons with the spools! I wasn't expecting the spools. What a lovely surprise. It's whimsical.

Fiona said...

Oh I love your buttons and spools.... how big are those blocks... and I love your idea with the crumbs blocks ... can I steal that one??? I have lots of blue scraps but most of them are strips and that would work well.... I really need to dent my scraps.... and congratulations on the new job, I hope it goes well and you enjoy it... pity about the less sewing time but I'm sure you will find a way to fit it in once you have settled..... have you finished unsewing????? grrrr
Hugz

swooze said...

Love your burro s and spools! I twisted my blocks around re entry and Picked it apart. I was not going to be happy leaving it!

Lin said...

Oh I love the buttons and spools! Gorgeous. Good luck with the new job. xx

CecileD said...

Ohhh j'adore ton quilt !! Il est trop mignon !
Et je suis heureuse que ce changement de travail t'enthousiasme autant !! J'espère de tout coeur qu'il te conviendra !
Gros bisous et bon WE

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your buttons and spools make the most adorable quilt top - love it! The rest of us wouldn't notice if the two pink ones are on the same side, but we quilters are are own worst critics, aren't we? Congratulations on your new job, too!

Susie H said...

Buttons & spools = Perfect combination! I really love this quilt!! Congrats on the new job. Once you get in the routine of it, I'm sure there will be some sewing time again for you. Have a great week!

Cathy said...

Love the buttons and spools no matter how they are arranged. And I really like the idea for woven crumbs. I might have to make some since I haven't worked on the crumbs for quite awhile. Good luck on the new job!

grammajudyb said...

It’s so easy to flip a block or a row for that matter! Glad you found your layout photo! That’s a great help! I’ve tried lots of methods, none are foolproof! Haha!
Congrats on the new job! Exciting!

Randy D. said...

Good luck with the new job! That has to be stressful!
Love the buttons and spools! Such a great idea!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your new quilt top is SEW sweet!! Sorry that some of the blocks turned themselves around during the stitching process.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

This is a lovely quilt. And I didn't even notice which colors were next to each other. Hope you don't have to rip too much. I think these sneaky blocks turned themselves around when you weren't looking (that's what happens to me!) Good luck on Monday at the new job!

Deb A said...

I had to laugh as I always have that issue when sewing things together. It never ends up how I have it laid out. I do love your quilt -it came out great as you can't go wrong with spools and buttons. Good luck on the new job!

Jenny said...

Buttons and spools really go together do nicely!

kiwikid said...

Spools and buttons look wonderful.

MissPat said...

Here's a hint to try. After I have laid out my blocks, I use painter's tape to label each block with the row and column, i.e A1, B1, C1, etc. That way I can double check that everything is where it should be. Good luck with the new job. Sounds like it will be very different.
Pat

gayle said...

I hear you - I've spent days shuffling blocks around trying to get them just right, then sewing them together wrong anyway. Sometimes it's best to just shrug and keep walking!
Good luck with the new job! I hope it's an enjoyable challenge!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your buttons and spools are so cute together. I didn't even notice the colors next to each other. For me, that is what gives your quilt charm. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Astrid said...

Buttons and spools, such a great combination. Love it! Good luck with your new job.

BarefootThunder said...

oh my!! can you share pattern info / or directions for buttons and spools? They are fabulous.

For the love of geese said...

I love this quilt. I've never made a spool quilt because I couldn't come up with anything to pair with them and buttons never occurred to me. That was so clever. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.