Tuesday 6 September 2022

A Visit Down South

What do I do during a long weekend? 

I sew! 

and sew 

and paint!

The house needs a new coat. Of paint that is. It was painted over 15 years ago and it has been flaking for the last 2-3 years. Before it starts to look too much like an abandoned home, we decided to repaint it. Chipping the old paint away, patching and caulking here and there, followed by primer, we are very slowly getting it done. 

Yep, my house is orange. Surprised? Believe it or not, I'm not the one who picked the colour. This time I am picking the colour as I found the light burned orange too mellow. I'm heading toward brown. It won't be done anytime soon as the preparation tasks are taking forever. We should have started that a few months ago but it was raining. Sigh. 

I do take the time to sew too. What's a long weekend without sewing? A boring one that's what! 

Sitting at my favourite place with Raven pretending to sleep, listening to the birds, life is good. Only 5 more red blocks to quilt and then, I'll start on the blue/green ones. I'm hopeful I can finish those 5 blocks today. I'm off work today so pedal to the metal. 

Over the weekend, I dug out some light blue and it took me offroad. 

I ended with a Framed 9-Patch! This led to more ... of course! 

The one on the right was supposed to be rust. The yellow solid decided it didn't like the swirl background fabric so I had to switch them around. Picky yellow! 

So that's my design wall. Oh, wait! I think it's the other way around. It started with the T block and degenerated to the Framed 9-Patch or was it ... anyway! Let me get back on track. Where was I? 


Light blue blocks. Right, okay.  

These were assembled after. 



Two light blue Jericho Wall blocks. I have a lot of blues but light blues aren't as abundant. I had a hard time finding some that wouldn't disappear with all the white pieces around. I believe two is good enough. 

I wanted to know where this quilt was at. I took it outside and got blown away. 


I'm so in love with it!! 

It definitely needs more green, maybe another dark green and one more yellow, I think. It would then be a 6 X 7 rows quilt and a pretty good size too once the sashing is added. I'm happy with this one. 

I also took a little bit of time to go down south to see my dearest friend, Pink! I brought her lots of fabrics that were gifted to me and she had some for me too. I came back as rich as when I left, lol. 

She had spotted a machine in a second-hand store and she got it for me. Look what it is! 

I'm so thrilled even if there were no dies with it. Cutting is my least favourite part of quilting so you can imagine how over the moon I am about this. Now, if I could find a few dies it would be perfect. Let me know if you know someone who wishes to downsize her collection. Pink also gave me a thimble. I am curious how this one will work out for me. 

Oh, the sun just came out, time to get the sewing machine outside and finish those red blocks. 

Enjoy! 

;^)


Also visiting
Angela at So Scrappy 
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
and Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 





11 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Cool looking quilts that you're working on!

MissPat said...

Wow, Jericho Walls is turning into a bright, happy quilt. Good luck with finding some used dies for the Accuquilt. It looks like a wonderful system, but expensive to collect enough dies for all the projects you would want to make. I hired someone to paint my front porch this summer. Oh what a difference it made (although now, the very old aluminum siding is looking pretty sad). A homeowner's work is never done.
Pat

Fiona said...

It's very busy at your place. Painting is such a big job too. I love that you have your machine outside to sew. I do that occasionally too but today is too cool and windy. Jericho blocks quilt is just fantastic... I can see why you love it so much...
Hugz

Sandy Panagos said...

A long weekend without quilting is a lot of things. I can't think of enough adjectives, but you're right - it is, to say the least, boring! House painting, though! So much work, but it will look so good when it's done. I think you have convinced me to start a Jericho Walls quilt!

Lin said...

Major task painting the outside of a house - I remember it well! Your blocks do looks stunning all laid out like that and where on earth did you find the time to go visiting!xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Les blocs Jericho Wall tous ensembles sont magnifiques, j'adore ! Beau travail ;)

Deb A said...

What a fun design wall and I love your quilt! What a score for the Accuquilt. If you have a guild nearby, they may have a sharing library of them or even at your library. Good luck and happy quilting.

Jenny said...

Preparing a house for painting is a long slow job, good luck with that. Your Jericho blocks are looking great, it's always so nice when we are "almost there" with the block making.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Painting is a big job, but the house always looks so nice with a fresh coat! Your Jericho Walls quilt is going to be so beautiful - I love how those blocks come together. Glad you got to sew outside, too!

gayle said...

Your Jericho walls look fantastic! What a gorgeous quilt it's going to be!
Happy painting! It's a big job, but so very satisfying!
And happy GOing, too! I hope you can find a good source for dies!

Cathy said...

Wow, your Jericho Walls blocks are gorgeous. That is going to be a stellar quilt!

I have some Accuquilt dies that I would be happy to pass on (give) to you. I bought my first cutter used, and it came with several dies that I know I will never use - like clamshells, drunkards path and probably a few others. Let me know if you’re interested, and I can do a little list of possibilities for you. I get scraps donated to me for Quilts for Kids, so it’s nice to be able to pay something forward!