Saturday 8 July 2023

I Need Your Advice, Please

Another week, another project. But it's not the kind I like.
Let's see what happened this week. Some red sewing happened, that's for sure. 


I started with Scrap Jar Star. 
I did the multi-coloured centre one  ... 
 

... and early in the morning, I took a picture with the original block. I assessed how many more blocks are needed for this project to be completed.  The magic number is 3. So I'll just do those and get this quilt together. Can I get a reveal before the end of the month?  

 Then came Star Bloom. It was missing two red blocks; so two red blocks were constructed. 


I always take pictures of these blocks in this setting, but I'm wondering: 
 

do they look better in this layout? Your comments are welcome, as always. 

And now, for the newest project. Ugh! 

My youngest one moved to another room and I helped, of course. He had my Kitchen Party Quilt for a while now and I noticed this poor yellow block. 


He has the bad habit of sleeping on the quilt instead of under it. This fabric didn't survive the treatment. 


Now, how would you fix it? Do I just fix the yellow pieces? Do I make an entirely new block, applique it to the quilt and redo the quilting? The white fabric withstood the treatment but for how much longer? 


Then I saw that the block's sidekick set in the border had the same look. Dang! 

It was an old piece of fabric and shouldn't have been added to an every-day-quilt. Even the batting disappeared in the wash. Let me know how you would handle this, please. 


That's all for now. 
I'll catch you later. 
;^)


Visiting these lovely ladies' blogs. 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 
Sarah at Confession of a Fabric Addict
Alycia for Finished or NOT Finished Friday

 

16 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

I have fixed worse than what you're dealing with on your son's quilt. You are on the right track! I would make a whole new block, applique it right on top of the original (or you can trim some of the tattered fabric away if it might show through), and then requilt through all of the layers. I did this with a quilt that a dog chewed a hole completely through one block, all the way through the backing: https://www.rebeccagracequilting.com/2021/06/vintage-corn-and-beans-repair-part-deux.html. I think your quilt will be a much easier repair and way less conspicuous once it's finished. Good luck!

Sally said...

I like option 1 of Star Bloom - the stronger design will dominate the overall layout - option 2 is pretty and will be in between them.

I agree with Rebecca Grace on the quilt repair - the new blocks will be the strongest part of the quilt.

Lynn Dykstra said...

I'd go a third way with the red and white blocks.
I like your paired two--that orientation would be a houndstooth variation.
I am sketching it out right now--down the rabbit hole.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

For the Star Bloom layout I like them both, so I am no help! But won't you get both star designs when you have a bunch of these blocks touching? I'll enjoy seeing what you choose to do?

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Les 2 versions de Star Bloom vont bien, et je suppose que le 1er block va être le motif qui se crèe dans les angles. Bon courage avec la réparation du quilt, Rebecca est de bons conseils, je me souviens avoir vu celui qu'elle a réparé.

Jeanette said...

Love your blocks. Both layouts look good. I think number 1. As to your repairs, i agree with the above - make a new block & applique it over & re quilts.

Fiona said...

What a fun difference with star block being placed a different way - I can't choose so my advice is make double and do one of each design!! I have never done a repair like that but it looks like some good advice has been given.... Happy sewing..
Hugz

PaintedThread said...

Of the two layouts, I like the first one best. (As interesting as the second layout is.) I would redo the whole block. What a bummer! And I can't advise about the batting. Good luck!

Kim said...

I rather love the first layout of Star Bloom. As for the damaged block of your son's quilt, I would make another block.

Sara said...

Such pretty red projects this week! I think I would also go the route of new block, appliqued on top, and re-quilt the section.

Claire said...

About the two settings of the red and white block. They create two quite different effects. The first one that you said you usually do is a calm energy. The second gives me a more angry, strident feel. So it depends on which effect ou want.

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm still trying to imagine each red and white option as you add more blocks to the quilt. At this point I'm liking option 2 better, I think, so not much help. As for the quilt repairs I agree with the other comments, make a new block and applique over the worn one.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I agree with Rebecca about the quilt repairs. I have done as she has and found the repair to work well and "blend" with the other fabrics. I like both of the layouts equally. The first option feels more traditional to me and the second feels like it catches my eye. . .I see arrows and bats around that four patch. I'm a star lover so if I were making a star quilt, I'd go with the first option. . . .gosh, I'm not much help either! LOL

Susan said...

I like the scrap jar blocks. I like the star bloom and with the red to the center, I like it tons more! As for the repair, probably easiest to make a whole new block and either appliqué it on top, or carefully remove and replace the blocks. It's going to be careful work either way. I'd guess your son needs a less delicate quilt that can withstand the on-top treatment, too! Maybe even a tied version, so it isn't quite so heart-breaking if something happens to it. =)

Lin said...

I too would go with making a new block and appliqueing over the top. Think I prefer the first option of your star block but think it would depend on how the repeats work so would need to see all the blocks. xx

QuiltGranma said...

I would make new blocks to applique over the old then quilt through all the layers, then make sure that he has a less treasured quilt to abuse.