Saturday 22 July 2023

More Than Just Red

I've been busy sewing up some red scraps. But not just the reds got my attention. Let's check it out. 

Four Irish Star blocks were added to the 3 I did at the beginning of the month. 

Two bright reds, one orange-red and one purple-red. 

Sorry for the dark photos. The weather is very temperamental lately. The sun shines intermittently and so is the rain. Taking pictures outside is slightly better than in the basement. 

After the stars, I worked on my red Friends' Favourite blocks. 

I ended up with 12! The top right block is black with red dots. It doesn't show well here. 

Then, all the RSC blocks for the month of July were done. I decided to finish one project: Scrap Jar Star. I really love this quilt so it was easy to work on it. There were 3 blocks missing and while I constructed these blocks, some blocks were produced as leader-enders. 

Three 25-patch blocks for the Irish Star quilt ... 

... and eight more Paper Chain blocks. 



Scrap Jar Star needed one yellow block with a multi-coloured centre. 


One dark green with a multi-coloured centre 


and one dark blue that turned into a rainbow block 



A day was spent working on the sashing (and leader-enders) and Ta-dah!  Scrap Jar Star is a top! 



Again, sorry for the dark photos. I will switch the orange and the yellow blocks in the corners. The two orange ones are in the same row and the yellow ones are on the same side of the quilt. Why didn't I notice that before? Anywho, now I just can't "unsee" it. 
I will add a white border. Not sure if I have enough of the fabric used for the sashing and there was none left at the shop. I've ordered another white print online. The waiting has started. 

You might have noticed a dark spot in the bottom right of the Paper Chain picture. It wasn't my foot. Here is the full picture. 

Raven made sure the wind wasn't disturbing the blocks. He was so cute. 

Now what? All is done for July with plenty of days left. Maybe Jacob's Summer will finally have the attention it deserves. 


It was an awesome week. Praying to have another one just like that. I'm hopeful that your week was amazing too. Enjoy! 

;^)


Visiting these lovely ladies' blogs this week. 
Angela at So Scrappy
Frédérique at Patchwork and Quilts 
Cynthia for Oh Scrap! 

20 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

turned out good love that pattern

Sara said...

Wonderful scrappy projects! I'm so amazed at that little square in the corner totally transforms the star blocks. Wow!

sue s said...

I love the scrap jar star! So colorful and inspiring.
Raven is such a helpful kitty.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, Chantal, your Scrap Jar Star quilt top turned out beautifully!! It's SEW totally swoon-worthy. Congrats on finishing up your RED scrap sewing, too!

Fiona said...

You did get lots of sewing done.... and keeping up with the different quilts... how good do those stars look together.... it's annoying when you see things you don't like once it is all sewn....

Hugz

MissPat said...

The Scrapjar Stars are delightful. A whole quilt of the rainbow Scrapjar Star block might be interesting as well. The weather does seem to be all over the board this summer. Hot, rain, thunder, wind, smoke. It's still better than blizzards, I guess.
Pat

maggie fellow said...

all your projects are sew different but love the top

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Scrap Jar Star is gorgeous! That's one of my all-time favorite quilt designs. You've been working on lots of fun things this week, Chantal!

Lin said...

What a great week you have had, lots done. I love the scrap jar star, looks amazing. xx

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your scrap jar top is amazing! Congratulations on getting your project to that point! I I'm in love with the Irish stars. The red ones sure stand out!! I'm glad you had a great week. Here's to next week being at least as great!!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I'm glad this was a good week for you, after what you've had to deal with! You're right, you can now move on to something better. I love all your wonderful scrappy blocks, and I thought that might be a furry paw at the edge of that photo! Scrap Jar Star is amazing, I gasped out loud when I saw it!

Susan said...

Such great progress all around, and a top complete! Love the dark spot picture, too. =) I hope you have another great week, and I do, too.

Jenny said...

Oh my, I love the scrap jar stars quilt! Really pretty.

chrisknits said...

I love Scrap Jar Blocks!! It was one of the first patterns I did when I returned to quilting. Beautiful.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Les blocs tous seuls sont chouettes, mais alors assemblés tous ensemble avec la bande intermédiaire, ça fait un quilt magnifique ! J'adore !
Jolie patte sur la photo, et belle pose ;))
Merci pour le partage, bises

Barb said...

what great blocks - love the variety in the stars.
Raven seems like such a sweet cat - nutmeg says hi

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Awesome scrap projects!

Susie H said...

Love the scrappiness in this post! The stars, the chains, the friends. I also love seeing Raven!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What super great blocks!!!
and YAY - Scrap Jars is so pretty!!! Love all that happy color!!

Canuck Quilter said...

There is so much scrappy goodness in this post, but Raven steals the show!