Friday 15 September 2023

Up to My Shenanigans Again

I finished a quilt, Jacob's Summer, therefore I am entitled to start 3 more, right? Yeah, that's what I thought too. Me and my coloured pencils had a little meeting and elaborated some shenanigans plans for RSC2024. Oh! My! Fluffy Kittens! Why can I not live in the present time!?!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and start at the beginning. Aqua fabrics were pressed, cut and sewed. 

It all started with the Irish Stars. It needed 4 more blocks, and aqua and blue were the right colours along with one bright green. Well, it's brighter in person. 



It also needs 29 more alternate blocks...

... minus 6.

I had a few cutting sessions to replenish the 2" square bin. That's when I discovered fabrics that were too lovely to leave behind. Some of the cuts turned into 9-patch blocks. They finish at 3 inches.

Some aqua and some not. 

Some of these black prints come from a friend in New York. Thanks, Pat. :^D 


Friends' Favourite blocks were next in line. 


I have a nice pile of fussy-cut fabric for this quilt and pulled out all that were closely or remotely aqua, and others that tickled my fancy. 


I still need to find out where this quilt is going (size-wise), but I know it will be on my lazy-boy chair one day. 


And that's when I lost it! Playing with all those lovely scraps made me want to sew them up into ... something. 

Anything! 

Oh! How about another Solid on Print kind of quilt? Yeah, yeah, good idea! 

One thing leads to another and ... 


... then ... 


... trouble shows up. 


I started to play with HSTs. Uh-huh! 



I got my colouring crayons out and doodled, doodled to my heart's content. 

Then, I was itching to see it with prints, so I pulled out the multi-coloured print basket dug out a few prints, and picked matching solids. Oh what a lovely rabbit hole this was.  Such FUN! 


It didn't take long for me to have what I needed. So instead of showing you my coloured pages, here's my madness train of thought. 


Sketch #1

I picked a solid aqua fabric (of course) and a matching print. 

Six blocks together make this: 
See the hourglass in the middle? (I know it's very crooked but my pictures didn't align very well. Sorry.) 

Sketch #2

My son likes this one the most. 

Six blocks together form this pattern. 

Sketch #3  
Very similar to the #1 block. 

Six blocks become this pattern. 

The hourglass has disappeared. Boring? 

Of course, I wasn't done! 
Sketch #4 


Six blocks together make something that looks familiar by now. 


I was getting tired but I needed to see one last option. Let's see it. 

Sketch #5

And the layout of 6 blocks together. 
This quilt will NOT be just a two-coloured quilt. No, no. It is for RSC2024 and it will be all kinds of prints with a rainbow of solids, like my Framed 9 Patch that isn't finished but I still want to start another one. (My DH said it was okay, so, hey!)  

So, which one do you like best? 
Remember what I said at the beginning of this post? I've finished one quilt so I'm allowed to start 3 new projects. Lol. 

Enjoy! 

;^)
 
P.S. For those who want to know: I've pinned Jericho Wall because I know what the quilting pattern will be. HST will go back into the pile and wait a little longer. 


Joining these talented ladies over the weekend. 






17 comments:

Jeanette said...

Love your star blocks. Look forward to following your progress with the hst blocks next year. :).

Quilting Babcia said...

Well, you've certainly been having fun! I love that final layout of the hst blocks. They look very ethnic in this configuration, Native American maybe.

Vivian said...

I love your quilt project math (-1 = +3), LOL!! I am with you on thinking now about RSC 2024. I was just thinking today that I should pick one project to work on and then work on FINISHING the SIX I started the way back in 2021 (one did get to a top this year because of a different QAL). All of those star block layouts look good, maybe the colors you wind up piecing them in will help the choice of which way to go?

Angie in SoCal said...

Oh what a rabbit hole you've fallen into. I like #5 best.

Fiona said...

You don't need to be rescued as it is such fun!! I like them all - you could do one of each?????? haha
Happy Quilting ...

Hugz

Jenny said...

There's nothing wrong at all about starting three new projects, we quilters do it all the time!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Lovely, fun starts!!! I'm with ya!!! If we don't start 'em, how are we going to get them out of our head!?! The Irish Star block is so striking!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Genius! Your solid and print project will make an outstanding RSC quilt, no matter what layout you use.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow, great layouts, any one of them would make a nice quilt. Falling down rabbit holes is good for us, keeps our creativity going!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

All of your blocks are lovely. Playing around with HSTs sends me into deep rabbit holes too! I like all of your layouts; but, the last one was my favorite. I saw "trees." I agree with Sylvia that you could make each layout into a stunning quilt!

Claire said...

Irish Star is one of my favorite scrap patterns, except now I'm working on a queen size and fear I might run out of scraps (I could wish!). Have fun. We all know starting is most fun!

Susie H said...

Have to say I'd go with your son's choice -- #2. You were truly have a great time and will again when you decide how to go. This will be especially so when you rack up a bunch in RSC colors! Have a great weekend!

Sara said...

Wow! Some awesome scrappy sewing!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW much AQUA goodness on the go, Chantal!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

finish 1 start 3 sounds about right haha!!
Love all the scrappy goodness here
and I am not sure which layout I like best... You will just have to make them all!

Nann said...

Sounds as though you were overrun by squirrels! What a delightful result.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh, très sympa ce nouveau projet de RSC ! Tu vas vouloir commencer tout de suite ;))