Saturday 3 February 2024

Catch 22?

I work and work, but I'm getting nowhere. Ever got that feeling? 


There were, in the past two weeks, a good number of job postings up my alley. Out of all the applications I sent, only one turned into an interview. None of the applications came to fruition. I have another interview on Monday morning. I know I will get this job just because it isn't a job I want. It will help to pay the bills while I keep searching though. The quilting group and I are going up to the cottage at the end of February for a weekend of quilting. I don't want hubby to pay for MY vacation. Hence, the (desperate) need to find a job. Fingers crossed. 


Anywho! What happened this week besides the boring stuff? 

The Hole in the Barn Door had its white border sewn. That poor quilt's been lingering on the rocking chair for so long. The last I worked on this quilt was in October 2021. I've worked on the last border on and off, but the quilt itself became my Sleeping Beauty. (My cat must love this one because there's cat hair all over it, lol.) 

Now, here's the Catch 22! I would like to add another scrappy border to it. 

Something like this. 

What do you think? 


Too much? 

One last picture. I definitely need to fix that wavy white border. 
Now if I add the scrappy border, it will mean that this quilt is still NOT ready for quilting. Sigh! 

On another note: green! 

Between the house cleaning, the job searching and the blue Snowflake, the greens were neglected somewhat. I managed to do a few 9 Patch. What else is new? 

Umh! 



These blocks?

It is inspired by Frog Quilter.  The quilt was in her header for a long time and I promised I would make one every time I visited her blog. Now that she has removed it from her header, I'm missing it. It's time to make my own. It's called Stained Glass String blocks. 

I know, I know. 
I said I wouldn't start an RSC block this year and concentrate on finishing UFOs but ... I lied. 

This one appeared on my design wall. It came to me through another blogger's post. Could you, please, stop making beautiful quilts? I'm trying to finish a few of my own, you know. 😂😂😂😂

Then, Angela did an awesome Antique Tile block! Oh! No! Not temptation again! Did I mention Catch 22? 



Yesterday, Friday, I remembered that the Artisanat's challenge for our next meeting is hearts. (Again? It was heart last February!) I only have one heart quilt so I had to make something else, right?

My heart quilt in Log Cabin blocks was presented last year at the Artisanat meeting.

 Our next meeting is this coming Tuesday. I better get a-moving! 


I quickly put this one together. A dark pink thread in the heart and white for the background. Today, I will deal with the end threads and binding. It's only 8 inches.

A cute pink paisley piece for the back. I guess this is my official switch to red. 


Have a great week, everyone! 
;^)


And now, it's time to show what you were up to this week. Come and join us. 

Cynthia for Oh Scrap 



18 comments:

Shepherdess55 said...

I like your scrappy border idea. In my opinion, you can never have too many scraps.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I think the scrappy outside border is perfect! Go with it girl! I hope you find the job you love soon!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I love the scrappy border and think it's perfect! It looks as though you've gone down several scrappy rabbit holes, Chantal. Oh, well... There are SEW many scraps to USE!!!

PaintedThread said...

Up close that border looks busy - but that picture from a distance.... it looks perfect. I would absolutely go with a second scrappy border.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Je suis d'accord avec les commentaires précédents, le projet de bordure rend bien ! Le quilting attendra encore un peu ;))
Trop de tentations, mais quels beaux résultats ! Ca va faire de jolis quilts.
Bon courage pour la recherche d'emploi, je croise les doigts.

Fiona said...

Hello hello, what a lovely group of projects... yes, your piano keys border is perfect. I think I am going to call you Dory (do you know Finding Nemo where Dory gets distracted by something else all the time?)
Hugz

Astrid said...

The piano keys border looks great, go for it! Pretty hearts and blocks too. Good luck in finding a job.

MissPat said...

Such a quandary. Need a job for money to live on, buy fabric and go to quilt retreats. But that means less time to quilt. What's a girl to do? Good luck on the job front. And you know you really want to add that piano keys border.
Pat

Lin said...

Yes to the extra border on your Barn Door, it looks great and I am not keen on white outer borders although it looks great as a frame. Nice greens and your red heart is great. Hope you get the job - it is always easier to find a job if you have one. xx

scraphappy said...

You could do a solid border on your Hole in the Barn Door, or even a striped fabric just to get it done! If you finish a quilt, it is a great excuse to start a new one. Hope you have fun at the retreat. Sounds like just what you need.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm like some of your other commenters - there's no such thing as too scrappy! Your Hole in the Barn Door quilt is beautiful. Good luck with the job hunt, too!

greaterexp said...

Your Hole in the Barn Door is just lovely! It's my kind of scrap quilt! I think the scrappy border you propose is just perfect to finish this quilt.
I'm inspired by all your pictures!

Quilting Babcia said...

Best of luck with your interview tomorrow. The perfect job will find you when the time is perfect. Re that scrappy border, I would definitely add it, it completes the quilt beautifully. Well done!

Linda Swanekamp said...

The Scrappy border is NOT too much,it is lovely. If the quilt waited this long, it can certainly wait for a great finish. All our snow melted just about as fast as it all fell. That's ok. I am sure we will get more.

Jenny said...

Yes, I too like the scrappy border, looks like you have plenty of scraps to complete it. Do tell what your decision is. Best of luck with the job hunt.

Angie in SoCal said...

The scrappy border is a great idea. Will help to tame your wavy white border. Lots of fun items in this post. As to your job hunt, here's a prayer I'm saying for you: St.Joseph, provider of the Holy Family, pray for Chantel and her fruitful quest for a job.

Cathy said...

I kind of like the Hole in the Barn Door without another border. But no matter I love those Scrappy HITBDs.

I love heart quilts and I love love love that log cabin heart. I might have to make one of those.

Oh, gosh, good luck job hunting. I hated those days. And when I did get a job interview I gave the worst ones because I was too darned neverous and very shy. I finally got a job I loved because even though I probably gave a crappy interview I worked for cheap for awhile until I showed them my real worth! Then when I got to the point that I was hiring folks for the department I usually hired the ones that were nervous and shy and gave crappy interviews but gave the right answers!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh Yes to the next border!!! I love it and it adds so much to your quilt!!
Love your little heart quilt too - so cute!