Saturday 17 February 2024

Working with Red

I finished the Moda block in red and guess what?


I didn't run out of white but ran out of the red. Life is funny sometimes. So, one of these quarts doesn't have the same red as the others. Can you spot which one? 

I'll have to study how to properly press all those seams. At the moment, it is a hot mess. 

My personal Rainbow-UFO Challenge for February is Shoreline (see this post for a picture of the blocks together). I counted the blocks made so far and the total is way more than I thought; 38 blocks. I don't think I will be able to double that (my initial intention), but I sure will give it a try. 

Have you ever thought you had more fabric of one colour than what's in your stash and when you pull out a UFO project you realize where all that colour went? I have! When I pulled out Shoreline, I found a lot of my reds hiding in there. 

This quilt demands a lot of cutting. A. LOT. Of. Cutting! I keep running out of varieties. (Thank you to all who sent me black scraps.)

You have to keep the different sizes separated. I use Mr. Christie's plastic cookie trays. Some use baking muffin trays. Whatever works for you. 

I started by making one black (left) and one red block (right). I didn't like it. I remembered that it is easier to do two of the same blocks at once. The black has 16 pieces and the red has 22 pieces so they aren't compatible with the leader-ender technique that I love so much.  

Two by two, they are slowly getting done. 

The next one is prepped and waiting patiently. 

I managed to squeeze in a Stained Glass red block. 





And now, a picture of my big fluffy cat, since he hasn't been on a post in a while.

He was sleeping on my bed but heard me walk into the room. He doesn't like the camera's lens so it is hard to have him looking up at it. He turned 3 years old last month. 

Miracle! As I was taking pictures of the blocks on the kitchen floor, Raven came by to check things out, flopped himself down and ... fantastique! ... he looked up at me. 

It looks like he has another cat's sleeveless fur coat on, but all that is his. He's winter-proof, lol. 

That's all for now. Have fun stitching! 

;^) 


Will be joining these talented ladies. See you there.  





18 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like both of those projects - red and black really look good together

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shepherdess55 said...

I had to look very carefully to see the slight difference; that the lower left quadrant is the one with a different red fabric. Necessity is the mother of invention so this will be a fun "spot the difference" addition to your quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That Moda star block is gorgeous! Shoreline looks like a complicated project, but if there are multiple blocks that are the same, it sounds like that would help. Love all those scrappy reds and grays/blacks together!

Quilting Babcia said...

Shoreline is going to be gorgeous, but all those tiny little pieces to keep straight - makes my brain hurt! Raven is one gorgeous cat, especially with his lighter gray ruff. He's a keeper!

Fiona said...

You must have matched really well as I can't spot the different colour at all..... oh my goodness Dory that fiddly project with lots of pieces!!!
Hugz

Astrid said...

The Moda Star blocks are so pretty. If you hadn't mentioned it, I'd never noticed the two red fabrics, I had to look very closely. Shoreline looks a bit fiddly, but fun, with all those pieces. Love the red and black blocks, it's going to be a stunning quilt. Beautiful Raven! Of course he has to check out what Mommy is doing!

Cathy said...

Oh, I wasn't even going to try to figure out which Moda block had a different red...makes no difference to me...just adds interest when all is said and done.

Shoreline? Oh my goodness...that is fabulous but I think keeping all those pieces straight would be a nightmare.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Kudos on doing some RED scrap sewing this week, Chantal!!

Lin said...

Lovely snow scene. I had to zoom in really close to spot the different red! Do like the shoreline blocks but such a lot of work. Will be worth it though. xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Shoreline est magnifique, j'adore tes blocs. Ils sont complexes avec plein de petites pièces, mais le résultat vaut le coup ! Oui moi aussi je retrouve du tissu mis de côté pour un autre projet, et toute une couleur... après quelque temps de recherche ;-)
Merci pour le partage, bises

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those blocks are beautiful! I get what you mean about not being a leader ender contender! I look forward to seeing how that background works for upcoming months!

Jenny said...

Raven is a fabulous cat, but you knew that already, didnt you.

Angie in SoCal said...

That Moda block is delicious. I can see making a quilt of just that block; perhaps in different colors. A good rainbow block. That other with only black and read is a great one also. Way to go! Blessings,

Susie H said...

Raven looks like he's got on a big ruffled collar. That'll surely keep him warm! Your blocks look great. I like using Leaders & Enders too. Glad you were able to pick up where you left off and remembering the best way to get the pieces sewn together. Enjoy!

Sara said...

Beautiful cat. Hopefully he approved of your quilt blocks. I also sometimes wonder where I put certain pieces of fabric, and then find it in a project box where I had most recently used it.

Nann said...

Can't see the difference in the star block...the Shoreline design is terrific!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I can't see a difference!! but I really like that block!! and shoreline is going t be so cool!